Male nudity and the media

R_1

After watching a Netflix show or two (Unbelievable and sex education), and thinking a little bit more about the other shows, it seems that over time male nudity seem to be a lot less taboo than it was. You can definitely see penis on these show. Does this mean that America is on it way to becoming less puritan about nudity or something?

I find you see male penis a lot more than you see full female genitalia :o The most you ever see of a lady is her pubic area (the hair etc) but anything more than that is still utterly taboo!!! I've seen a lot of movies with penises in though! The most recent being Bronson (Tom Hardy) and Wolf of Wallstreet (Jonah Hill) :) I've only seen ONE movie that shows full female genitalia is one called Antichrist and that was only so she could take some scissors to it :o

I have only seen male penises in a satirical way with regards to movies. IE Ken Jeong running around naked in Hangover. 

I think the scene was so funny, that most didn't bat an eyelid about it. 

I saw another comedy with the same thing. The scene was hilarious. 

Personally, nudity if not over the top won't bother me. 

I could do without it in movies but the ones I have seen did it subtly enough that it was just part of the decor.

This site helps explain the differences that have existed between American public station channels and cable T.V.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudity_in_American_television

For example, since Game of Thrones is broadcasted on HBO (a cable channel), the nudity rules that normally apply to non-cable T.V. channels doesn't apply.

6 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

This site helps explain the differences that have existed between American public station channels and cable T.V.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudity_in_American_television

For example, since Game of Thrones is broadcasted on HBO (a cable channel), the nudity rules that normally apply to non-cable T.V. channels doesn't apply.

The article backs up my thinking on this: U.S. Network TV stations, the ones we have the easiest access to (that is - not paid for like cable or streaming services), do not show nudity and only in very tight confines, if at all. PBS will show nudity, but only in context of a nature show or something exhibiting different cultures, etc. We Americans are still rather prudish when it comes to what's on TV, even though you can get online and find that stuff for free these days. It's kind of funny, in a sordid sort of way.

On the other hand, cable TV, HBO, STARZ, streaming venues, etc., can get away with showing nudity because they aren't subject to FCC rules regarding nudity and people are paying a fee for that kind of access.

Certainly viewing from a British perspective, things are a lot more liberal than twenty years ago. We've gone from a flaccid penis not being allowed in a 18R movie to erections being permitted on regular TV after 2100h. 

Personally I think the Internet is inadvertently responsible, as the government have realised that there's no point banning stuff which you can see on the Internet anyway 

Archived