Hobbies are distractions

Birlow17

Not sure why people complain against games so much, people playing them at least don't make world a worse place (cost of electricity is negligible). While spending the same 10 hours working at many places (like advertising or financial for example) just makes world worse for almost everyone... 😺

On 9/19/2019 at 8:02 PM, Karret said:

Ah man. Yeah. I've been feeling that a lot lately. I'm no therapist, but my therapist seems to think I'm depressed, so maybe you are, too? -shrug- Maybe not though. I guess if you still do things, you might not be, because I have a lot of trouble with motivation to do the hobbies I used to do.

I feel exactly the same Y_Y I have things I used to love, even as basic as relaxing while doing a bit of gaming, doing some art, or going for a walk. I used to love them, and still love the idea of them (and force myself to walk at least for the sake of my health) but it feels like the joy has been sucked from everything, you know? Giving them up wouldn't help because I know I love them (it would hurt to lose them) ...it's just a matter of trying to find some way to spark joy within myself again..but instead all that's there is a grey wall Y_Y there's no motivation there to do *anything*.. just even thinking of trying to find said motivation is draining. 

Sorry to ramble on, just what you said about your hobbies reminded me of how I feel right now. Sounds like we both need to find that little spark of joy in something again, somehow. :cake:

On 9/19/2019 at 2:37 PM, Birlow17 said:

I can’t see anything the same now. Hobbies and activities are distractions because life is unbearable

Yes but at least when/if you can enjoy those distractions ......life is more bearable? I think? So..to find that joy, would make things easier even if life is unbearable? 😕

I'm actually generally a lot more positive about life than I'm being right now :P I know that life's actually pretty nice, we live in a beautiful world..and the bleakness I see and feel right now actually comes from inside me (not from the world) but damn, sometimes it's a difficult headspace to get out of Y_Y

39 minutes ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

I feel exactly the same Y_Y I have things I used to love, even as basic as relaxing while doing a bit of gaming, doing some art, or going for a walk. I used to love them, and still love the idea of them (and force myself to walk at least for the sake of my health) but it feels like the joy has been sucked from everything, you know? Giving them up wouldn't help because I know I love them (it would hurt to lose them) ...it's just a matter of trying to find some way to spark joy within myself again..but instead all that's there is a grey wall Y_Y there's no motivation there to do *anything*.. just even thinking of trying to find said motivation is draining. 

Sorry to ramble on, just what you said about your hobbies reminded me of how I feel right now. Sounds like we both need to find that little spark of joy in something again, somehow. :cake:

Yeah I feel that. For me, like... I had a breakdown last year, and since then drawing hasn't been the same... it's been wrong... or off in some way and it's really killed my motivation because it keeps coming out looking bad and even my best friend noticed the difference, so it's not just like a personal perception thing, but yeah... since my drawing is all off, it just kinda makes me not want to do it, so I just avoid it instead of trying to keep going with it and seeing if maybe I can get back to a place where I used to be, or somewhere near it. But yeah, I totally feel that last sentence, "just even thinking of trying to find said motivation is draining." Ugh, too true. D;

No need to be sorry! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's felt like this. Aye, agreed. Here's to hoping we find our joysparks! -raises a glass-

@Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?), @Karret, last time I felt like that it was because of annoying people and general life hardships caused by that. But once they were gone from my life and I was finally alone, I began enjoying things again. But that's me, you two seem to be super social so you might have it differently...

14 hours ago, RakshaTheCat said:

@Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?), @Karret, last time I felt like that it was because of annoying people and general life hardships caused by that. But once they were gone from my life and I was finally alone, I began enjoying things again. But that's me, you two seem to be super social so you might have it differently...

Hmm. I think I might be unhappy with where my life is and feel kinda isolated or something... I'm not entirely sure. It's weird. And the drawing thing is especially weird; it's like I lost my muscle memory of how to draw things. And other hobbies, like reading or writing, sound like half fun to do, half too much effort to do, and usually it's the latter half that wins out. > 3<

13 hours ago, RakshaTheCat said:

How do I seem social? I haven't spoken to another adult person in 'meat life' in I don't even know how long (outside of hospital staff), and have lived in this town for 10 years and don't even know anyone by name. You already know that, so I find it weird that you'd somehow assume that makes me 'super social' when I don't even have a friend on or offline? Lol. 

13 hours ago, Karret said:

-raises a glass-

I could definitely do with a glass of something stronger than tea right now Y_Y

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think that all hobbies are necessarily distractions.  There are plenty of things that people do for fun, but which have beneficial "side effects".  For example, someone might stay in shape by playing sports, or form friendships at the Dungeons & Dragons table.  Even activities that we think of as mindless can help people blow off steam when they're stressed.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:37 PM, Birlow17 said:

I was talking to my friend last week about how the true state of life is depressing. That’s why there’s existentialism- we create our own purpose. There is no other purpose in life other than to simply exist. But simply existing is not living. You hear that all the time. We live in routine and crave spontaneity because it’s different and we feel ALIVE.

Hobbies are coping mechanisms because simply existing is boring. And being bored is a type of suffering, that is why in some prisons it’s considered inhumane to not let the prisoners draw or anything. I can’t get this out my head now. Everything I do and see other people do like bike riding, arts; sports teams, bowling dinner dates etc. We are all distracting ourselves. I looked at my life and saw that all majority of the time is watch movies and tv shows and read books. Those things are all coping mechanisms for existing! I am submerging myself into other things like watching another person’s life (movies) or reading about it (books).

I went on Instagram and saw fanpages. Devotion? Some may say maybe even borderline obsessive. Observing a particular individuals life and idolizing them out of sheer boredom. Maybe that’s why people are so obsessed with celebrities lives? Because they are available on a platform for us to watch and engage in, that entertain us! 

I can’t see anything the same now. Hobbies and activities are distractions because life is unbearable. 

You sound like you could be depressed? I am not saying you are, but thats something someone who is depressed might say.

Also I wanted to add, if the existential issue is really bothering you a lot and thats whats getting you down, thats what religion is for. There are even religions where you can identify as atheist (not believing in a personal god) and still get answers to the existential issues you are facing. (For example Zen Buddhism). I am not saying "go be religious" or choose zen buddhism, or Christianity, or whatever, since that is your choice. But I am saying, choosing a religion, whether or not it be Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Wiccan, whatever, can often help with the existential issue we can face as humans. It can help add meaning and purpose to your life. 

On 9/19/2019 at 3:37 AM, Birlow17 said:

There is no other purpose in life other than to simply exist.

I would disagree with that and change it to: there's no other purpose in life than the one we attribute to it. We can make life meaningful. It doesn't need to be a pointless, empty and depressing existence, even though it sometimes feels like it.

Archived