Needing More Time For Writing

Duke Memphis

I don't feel like I have enough time to write in my book. I really want to write the rest of it and get it done so that I can write more and expand on the universe in my mind, but I'm either busy or distracted most of the time.

I've got chores, work, talking to my family, self-maintenance, and relaxation taking up most of my time. The actual free time I have to write, which is pretty scarce and in short intervals, is somehow always when I don't have the motivation to write.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to manage time and get my book done?

Not sure about tips or advice, other than what I've heard. Basically treat it like it is your job or your chore. Force yourself to have an hour or more a day just for writing, even if it's just staring at a screen and thinking of writing. Your family and friends take a backseat to writing because it's your job. 

When I started my story I had a specific time dedicated for writing, that would be at five in the morning. But the other needs get into my head and can't focus. Just minutes ago I said I will sit and read to get me in the mood of the story and again got distracted. This time I got a dissapointed because two of the last short texts I wrote got lost because of a file error, they are unreadable. I can't tell you how sad I feel. 

I can give you a few tips. Focusing reading of what you wrote helps, music helps. And for these moments you are busy and have an idea take notes written or with with voice recorder. And when you have the time type them and maybe then you'll have a push to get going. If not at least you'll have a progress.

But the real problem may not be your free time 

4 hours ago, TheAbhorrent said:

But the real problem may not be your free time 

What could it be?

It may has to do with a compulsive personality issue where you simply cannot concentrate if you feel you have things to do. In that case you must either learn to block these to do thoughts or do these little tricks I told you. Sometimes I was recording my ideas on my phone even while I was on the street (that is not easy) or while I was doing chores.

Could be that you actually missing fun and being to stress over you must finish your book. Then is not matter of concentration rather of mood, you cannot force creativity.

I myself I'm so stressed and simply stopped working on my story and hoping one day to get back. You haven't mentioned anything else that might troubles you. But for me is an issue, personal problems.

I do lots of world building and storyline developing in my head as I'm doing other stuff. I've also been doing some studying on what it really means to be an ENFP personality, which is what I am, and one thing I've learned is that ENFPs have a hard time staying grounded, especially without an external factor, because our creative daydreamer brains run amok.

I haven't heard about an ESFP personality. I find myself closer to the maladaptive daydreamer for my everlasting wander to other worlds. It get's hard when I sit down to write to have the same energy as my stories are stronger in my head while doing things. These little tricks do help, notes, recording. But is one of the things you'll have to get use to do as any other programmed activity. 

Yeah, that's about how I feel when thinking of what to write. It seems to be better in my head than as text.

Is this your first attempt to write? For me got better after a while and a lot of practicing. In the begining it was like sort sentences closer to directions. Now I can get the text to feel as I have it in my head. But it is richer when I'm doing things. Sometimes it's just an anxiety that blocks you from get in touch with your inner world.

I'm sure you'll figure it out. You have it, you'll find a way to express it and share it for others to love your ideas as much as you do. 🙂

I've never attempted anything like this. This will be my first full-length novel instead of just a short story on a piece of paper. Not only that, but I'm planning for it to be the first of a series that I've already done a LOT of mental world building on.

Archived