Delete dis, please

The Abhorred

I can see where they're coming from TBH. I guess it is a bit stalkerish.

But also TBH, I do it and I know a lot of people who do.

And TBH again, I don't really care if someone wants to stalk my social media, because I'm B0RING.

I call it Stalking and I am a pro at it but in all honesty if you gonna have it out there you know people are gonna look and just checking up on what an ex is doing is like nothing. I see what all my old classmates and friends are doing and that is so not spying. Unless you trying to discover government secrets for another government or whatever then you aint spying but just using social media for what it is.

In all honesty what harm is it gonna do to you or them knowing you viewed whatever. Famous people have thousands if not millions of strangers viewing their things and they don't seem bothered so why should we, the normal people, care.

As long as someone didn't hack their way into the account to fish for information, no. If someone broadcasts something publicly, they should be aware that this can and will be read.

1 hour ago, TheAbhorrent said:

Into the conversation she brought up about a common friend who was visiting an ex profile to check on them. And she call that common friend a spy for doing that. Because they were apart with the third person for some time. And I was wondering if it consider spying?

I find this matter very confusing. If you share something openly how would you feel if you knew that some stranger is spending a lot of time viewing either a video, photos or whatever you post?

To be honest I wouldn't like them to know it was me and I visit some profiles with vpn. I just browse but still I feel awkward for having this habit. There is nothing shameful in the content like you have to clear your browser history and if someone would let's say caught me in the act they wouldn't even suspect how I feel. And that would be kind like I am "the life of others" government agent, so kind of fits to how my friend labeled the common friend. But should I? Is it that bad?

Thoughts?

I wouldn't call it spying since the person posting is putting their life/information out there for everyone to see and they know other people can see it, but it is hella creepy if a person hangs out on their profile a lot, at least to me personally.

I set most of my accounts on private, but the ones that are open I acknowledge that people are gonna well look at things, so if I have something to say or I'm doing that I don't want to broadcast to everyone I save it for the DMs or my private accounts. If someone was obsessively staring at my page or interacting with every little thing I did though, I'd feel really creeped out honestly. There was someone I used to know that did this to me, literally obsessed over my whole account and liked/commented on everything I did and set my account on Twitter notifications so whenever I did something they'd get an alert, and it was very very strange and creepy to me (It wasn't even my fan account, this was a personal account...). I ended up blocking them because they made me uncomfortable and it was getting out of control ☠️ But if someone is just innocently looking from time to time and interacting with someone online, that's not a bad thing at all? I hardly ever visit other people's profiles or go through all their tweets/etc, but I think a lot of people do and nothing is wrong with it unless you become a real stalker (ie trying to figure out where they live, where they are, who all their friends are, etc).

Anyway, I don't think what you or your friend is doing is wrong at all. It's natural to be curious about what other people are up to, again as long as it isn't going into stalker territory.

I think that anything that someone posts on public media under their own name is fair game for anyone who wants to look at it for any reason.   

Finding ways to see things that someone intends to be private is different .

One exception is that looking at social media of potential employees is a bad idea because it can allow the employer to discover information that they are not allowed to ask in an interview (religion, marital status etc).   I will not look at the social media of job candidates for this reason.

I don't think it is spying per se, spying is usually the harvesting of knowledge that was suppose to not be seen, if someone can find the knowledge with reasonable ease it is assumed the info is not secret.

I will admit I have done this from time to time. I think the important thing is not to dig too deeply.

What annoys me is when people dig too deeply, there are ways to get information about people that should probably be kept secret. E.g., I found a database connected somehow to my community college that allowed me access to every single student and faculty street address, email, and phone number. I could access it without any password or using my personal college identification code. While that information would not classify as hidden information, it would be going a bit far to find out that information that way. But that is not specifically related to social media profiles.

2 hours ago, Veezle said:

If one is so concerned with people spying on them they probably shouldn't broadcast their lives online in the first place.

I find it funny that a large majority of people that want complete control over their privacy are the ones that post everything they do online. Then they complain when something happens....

I swear 😒

If someone's voluntarily posted information as public, then anyone has the right to look at it. 

Thank you everyone for your answers.

There are several of them calling it not spying but close to it. Should we feel bad for doing something like that?   

If one is so concerned with people spying on them they probably shouldn't broadcast their lives online in the first place.

it is the obvious not mind if the opposite to want people to check these things you post. You might even want to. But I believe this applies mostly for professional accounts. What about a personal? They shouldn't mind but is this what happens?

That's both presumptuous and judgemental, isn't it?

You know how when you say something for someone else but you really are speaking for yourself. Probably that was the case, she just used the example from a third person.

If it was about me she would be all cool and no there is nothing wrong with watching what someone is publicly post and of course we are not talking about an ex so it's different etc. She does that a lot! and I'm getting confused.  

I wouldn't call it spying since the person posting is putting their life/information out there for everyone to see and they know other people can see it, but it is hella creepy if a person hangs out on their profile a lot, at least to me personally.

I see a lot of people on the way to work to browse social media profiles to kill time. But what you point out is the difference, browsing a certain profile. I also have all my accounts to private but change this when I decide to share other that personal info, creative stuff. And I wouldn't mind knowing that someone is checking them as long as the like. But actually never had that to know how it feels, that kind of attention. And that is why I was wondering and curious if others do like to spend more time than average in a certain profile, how they feel about themselves. 

I think you posting a public profile, is you having to understand the level of scrutiny associated with it. 

You can't post string bikini pictures on your Facebook then cry fowl when fired from your kindergarten position. 

Many employers will check your online footprint. Main reason you need to manage yours as it could hurt you professionally. 

In some countries, your posted opinion can even land you in jail. 

I don't think its spying as everyone has checked an exes profile before. 

I think you start to cross that line if just being a profile creeper, to spy/stalker if you start to look for patterns in her routine, where she works and tracking her movement that way. 

I had a woman do it to me years ago, which had me looking over my shoulder anywhere I would go. 

Its unhealthy however to obsess about the profile, however. Makes it harder to move on. 

If someone chooses to broadcast their "fascinating" life to the whole, fascinated world, no, it's not spying.  Constantly checking up on an ex or anyone along those lines *can* sometimes border on (and cross into) stalker-ish territory but like others have pointed out, if you choose to make every tiny detail of your life public, you obviously want an audience.

Most people - and their lives - are way too boring even if I do know them so I fail to the see the attraction in stalking people... though I have known a few people (some of them - barely) who were so over the top with the personal drama and posting it all on facebook, I might have occasionally checked their profiles just for a laugh, like a real-life soap opera (gets boring very quickly, of course).

I'm not a lawyer, but I think it's just common sense that it's hardly "spying" if you intentionally put info out there for anyone to find. Totally different from being cyberstalked or doxxed.

Archived