Came out as asexual, told to go to therapy

shyshy

Came out to a friend at work, told her that I was asexual. She asked what I ment and I explained, also mentioned that I was generally pretty sex repulsed, and that even the idea of kissing was pretty disgusting to me. She asked if I had been abused as a child ( 1. that's not something you can just assume, 2. even if I was, that wouldn't discredit my asexuality) then when I told her that no, I hadn't been, she told me I should go to a therapist anyway because there was "clearly something wrong with me and that it needed to be fixed". This is the second time someone has told me that my asexuality was a condition that needed to be fixed. 

Anyone else have a similar experience? 

I had one guy tell me I needed to get my hormones checked and a doctor treat like a kid who didn't know what I was saying. I've mostly had good reactions though, like ehh whatever, you do you. 

I think a lot of us have had similar experiences.  I've had my fair share of people just not believing me at all when I told them I was asexual, and someone tried to diagnose me with "Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder."  Sorry that happened to you, people can be so ignorant and inconsiderate.  Try not to let them get to you.

local burnout.

I had a similar reaction from my mother when I came out to her. I had experienced abuse as a child, and so she tried to convince me that my asexuality was caused by that - even though I had already been going to therapy and learned that being asexual wasn't a result of the assault I faced. It took a couple years (and even a blood test) for my mom to finally accept that my asexuality wasn't a byproduct of my mental or physical health, but now she is one the most supportive person I have in my life. Whenever someone doesn't understand your sexuality, I think its good to try to educate them if they are willing to learn, but its most important that you don't allow their ignorance or opinions to cloud your own sense of self-worth.

Yeah, every time I've mentioned it to someone the first thing they asked is whether I've been sexually abused in the past. I kinda just expect it at this point but it is really annoying. 

Hasn't happened to me personally, but reading across the forum it seems to be an almost commonplace response :mad:

Archived