Ideas for metal pendants, and coloring metals

SorryNotSorry

I want to add handmade metal pendants to my jewelry line. I already have stained glass teardrop earrings down, and I have experience working with titanium and stainless steel. A couple of weeks ago, I got back into making pendants after about 13 years' hiatus, now I do this by drawing directly on the metal with an electric engraver and cutting it out.

So far, I've come up with zodiac sign pendants, along with an ankh, cross, star of David, pentacle, Otherkin star, Christian monogram, and a heart. Suggestions for other pendants would be appreciated. I refuse to make swastika or pentagram pendants.

Lately I found out there's an anodizer which can be used for coloring titanium, niobium, and tantalum with a layer of oxide, and the color depends on the voltage the device puts out. These doohickies cost around $220, so I'd make sure people want custom pendants in custom colors before I break down and buy one. 16-gauge titanium is not too expensive, but you can only get so many colors out of it. Niobium is more expensive, but it has a bigger range of different anodization colors. I don't know how well tantalum anodizes, but that's one metal which costs fancy money. Still, some jewelers are using these anodizers to make metal jewelry in blues, golds, pinks, greens, etc which put gold to shame.

I think a spirit animal line of pendants would be an interesting idea.

If the goal is to create something that has a special meaning for someone.

You could make Deathly Hallow ones, people love those.

1509121579-deathly-hallows-sign.jpg?resize=480:*

You should check out Precious Metal Clay, its a product made of supper fine particles of silver, gold, copper, etc. in an organic binder so you can form and shape it with molds or by hand. Then when the clay is dry you can drill it, carve it, sand it, do what you need to get the design you want. Once you have the design done you fire the clay and the binder burns away leaving the metal behind. You can even set stones into the clay before firing it if the stone is one that can take the heat. If you want to learn more you should check out Cooltools.us or Metalclaysupply.com.

Archived