My boss is leaving

banana monkey

So, my boss is leaving in a month's time and I'm  a bit sad about it. I'll just miss her so much because she has helped me so much over the last few years really believed in me and helped me grow. I've achieved stuff I never would have without her, and she takes account of dyspraxic idiosincracies and is really patient with them (as well as related anxieties) which really helps me be the person I am at work and do my job better. Other bosses havent done that before. 

I really really want to send her a note before she leaves to let her know /explain how much she has helped me, basically thank her for all the awesome stuff she has done and that i'm really grateful (and wish her good luck). but i'm a bit worried it could look strange or be a bit over the top and risk crossing professional boundaries. 

What do others think? 

Where I work, we would not consider that crossing professional boundaries.

I would think she would feel very much appreciated.  :)

Lucinda

Goodbye or good luck cards are nice, even better chosen according to the recipient's taste and if you take the time to write a little word. They encourage you to be short and to get to the point. They are professional enough as long as you don't look like you are totally obsessed with the person of course...

Sounds like you're already on the right track. You could even make a card from scratch if you like; the more personalized the better. As for what to write in it and how much, try thinking of it as writing a message in a good friend's yearbook. A benevolent boss' efforts ought to be properly recognized.

That's such a nice and endearing gesture - definitely does not cross any boundaries. Love it! ❤️

Send that note! They will absolutely appreciate it and it will encourage them to be just as understanding and accommodating to their future staff.

I think it's a great gesture. You should send the note and let your boss know that she left a positive impact on at least one employee.

Thanks everyone for their encouragement. I will write it. I think its more about being worried what I was planning to put in it is quite heartfelt and therefore could be a bit over the top but I suppose, I shouldnt worry about it. 

21 hours ago, Jon A. said:

try thinking of it as writing a message in a good friend's yearbook. 

I've never written in a yearbook before. I dont think we have them as much in this country. Whilst I dont cross professional boundaries, , sometimes its like she is the closest thing I've had to a good friend in a longtime. 

as long as you don't look like you are totally obsessed with the person of course...

I think that's what I'm worried about doing when i say about crossing boundaries because it means so much to me. 

59 minutes ago, banana monkey said:

I've never written in a yearbook before. I dont think we have them as much in this country. Whilst I dont cross professional boundaries, , sometimes its like she is the closest thing I've had to a good friend in a longtime. 

as long as you don't look like you are totally obsessed with the person of course...

I think that's what I'm worried about doing when i say about crossing boundaries because it means so much to me. 

I think you'd have to lay it on pretty darn thick to cross that line.

Archived