Platonic Marriage?

HoneeBee

Is it possible or even socially acceptable to marry someone I don't "love" ? I don't care about local laws, I know they allow it. I want to know if it's ever done.

For my sexual orientation and disability, I would like a marriage of convenience. I'd love to be a housewife. I can totally do all the cooking and cleaning and whatever else needs to be done at home. If I have a home base, I could also do things on the side to help make money. But it's so difficult to find someone - personally, it seems weird to me that no one wants a housewife. There's no dating sites for people like me. Is this even something that would work out? I just want a companion so we can support eachother. Asexual dating isn't even really a thing(ive found dating websites for asexual people it just... doesn't really work). I'd be fine with an open relationship. But it just seems like no one else would be.

Has anyone else had luck with finding a relationship like this?

A lot of people want to be a house wife... but they also are willing to provide sex. So, it's probably going to be quite hard to find anyone that wants a housewife, but also not sex. I'm sure it's possible though. But, it will probably take longer and you'll have to sort through a lot. The people I know who found housewives used OKcupid, there are a lot of aces on there... so probably best bet? You basically want a QPR. 

I really relate to what you're saying, but quick word of advice :)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be a housewife, *but*, you definitely want to make sure you'd be able to support yourself too if need be. My mom was a housewife for years and when my dad was no longer in the picture she was a mess, had no skills in the workforce, and we really struggled financially. On top of that, being at home 24/7, she was bored and lost all of her confidence in her abilities. Getting back into the workforce after 10+ years out of it was a nightmare. She's happier now, but it was a long hard process. Also keep in mind too that these days its extremely difficult for two people to live off of just one salary, it's not like it used to be for our grandparents and parents. So I don't think there's anything wrong with your goals necessarily, I just feel like today not many people would be cool with a partner who didn't make anything just because of the way the economy is. It'd be different if you were staying home to raise kids, but staying home just to stay home is not very common. 

As far as wanting a platonic marriage though, I completely relate. But for me I'd say its less about finances and more about companionship. 

AceMissBehaving
3 minutes ago, CBC said:

Does it matter if it's socially acceptable? If you find someone else who wants the same arrangement you do, go for it. That's all that matters -- your needs/wants and theirs.

Exactly this^^^

If you’re fine with an open or poly relationship I could see this being an attractive proposition for a number of people.

Unfortunately over the past few decades most Western societies have evolved to render the breadwinner/homemaker arrangement impractical. QPRs or marriages of convenience would be more doable in dual income situations where two people who don't want romantic marriage make the calculations and decide that the cost savings is worth the arrangement. A homemaker role is more practical when there are children involved, so it would probably be harder to make an economic argument for it without also raising children. It might work in a poly situation, though, like @AceMissBehaving said. If you live in a more communal setting where multiple people are working, there's more of a practical need for someone to take charge of domestic maintenance.

letusdeleteouraccounts

Do what you want, people don’t know what your relationship is like unless you tell them. I’m not looking to get married but I’d love a platonic partnership one day. Kinda hard right now because I’m 17 and seem to be the only ace around my area

Archived