Superstitions Anyone?

DuskFire

1 hour ago, Jade Cross said:

I knew people.used the expression/gesture "knock on wood" but I always thought that was more symbolic than actual.

I never understood "knock on wood" what does that mean?

Anthracite_Impreza

1 hour ago, DuskFire said:

I never understood "knock on wood" what does that mean?

Touching/knocking wood came from a practice of appeasing the woodland before entering it, back in the days when woods were full of things that would eat you and before sat navs, crisps and bottled water were invented. Nowadays it's more like "something is going well but I don't want to jinx it, so I have to acknowledge the favour the universe has given me and hope it continues".

A couple of months ago, my buddy's gf (who grew up in China) asked me why Americans have this dislike of the number 13. I replied "probably for the same reason Chinese people dislike the number 4". "Oh... gotcha," she said. The Chinese word for the number 4 sounds a lot like the word for death, and is considered bad luck.

4 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

A couple of months ago, my buddy's gf (who grew up in China) asked me why Americans have this dislike of the number 13. I replied "probably for the same reason Chinese people dislike the number 4". "Oh... gotcha," she said. The Chinese word for the number 4 sounds a lot like the word for death, and is considered bad luck.

Yeah it's the same in Japan. They apparently leave out naming the number 4 in things like "4th floor" of a building and such.

I wonder has anyone ever coincidentally had bad luck after doing something considered bad luck? I walk under ladders all the time and I'm fine but I'm sure it's happened to somebody.

7 hours ago, DuskFire said:

I wonder has anyone ever coincidentally had bad luck after doing something considered bad luck? I walk under ladders all the time and I'm fine but I'm sure it's happened to somebody.

Not me, unless someone's entire life can be a run of bad luck. When I did a little numeralogy, fours and thirteens kept popping up more often than the laws of chance should allow.

I don't believe in the effects of these, I just avoid them as if something bad was going to happen. But I don't open umbrellas indoords and I avoid stepping on cracks if I'm paying attention. I also believe Friday 13 and full moons have a placebo effect on people, like people think stuff is going to happen so it does. 

16 hours ago, DuskFire said:

Yeah it's the same in Japan. They apparently leave out naming the number 4 in things like "4th floor" of a building and such.

They do! We stayed at a hostel place in Kyoto and there was no room 4. 1-3 and 5-13 or however high it went, but no four. And I've definitely seen it in large buildings in bigger cities that can use the entire floor for storage or something to just leave it off the elevator. 

I've heard buildings in eastern Asia relegate their 4th floors to things like AC and janitorial. Probably aren't many roads named 4th Street in that part of the world, thanks to the centuries of Chinese influence.

In the Navajo culture though, 4 is a sacred number: 4 directions and 4 winds, 4 sacred plants, 4 sacred animals, 4 sacred colors, and 4 first people.

In Santa Monica, "13th Street" is named Euclid Avenue. The Empire State Building has a 13th floor, and so did the WTC. But many tall buildings in the US don't. Some US cities will allow you to change your street address of 13 to 12A if you petition them.

The road I'm on has no house no. 13. This causes no end of hassle, because the site plan for the development includes a no. 13, so all the higher numbers are out of sync with the plans. This causes no end of fun with utility billing etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if coincidence plays a large part in superstition...🤔

Keep two pennies underneath a pillow to keep bad dreams away.

3 hours ago, Member114264 said:

Keep two pennies underneath a pillow to keep bad dreams away.

If that's true nightmares sure are easy to pay off...

Duke Memphis

Wednesdays bring bad luck, and Thursdays bring good luck.

Celyn: The Lutening
2 hours ago, Duke Memphis said:

Wednesdays bring bad luck, and Thursdays bring good luck.

Huh.

My bad luck always seemed to come on Thursday 12th instead of Friday 13th. Although, this Thursday 12th just gone I got my new job. Maybe it was my parent's unlucky day and I just got caught up in it before I moved out.

In my whole life, I broke two mirrors. I'm not too superstitious, but I must say, right after breaking them that I felt like I cursed myself with bad luck for 7 years.

Also, I try to avoid walking under ladders and traffic signs that have two poles. It's just in case to not add any more bad luck that I already have.

Archived