What does visibility and education mean?

Guest Guest. (Sea horse)

Guest Guest. (Sea horse)

I'm confused as to whether this site exists to educate the outside world (and also people in relationships with asexuals) about asexuality, or to educate asexuals about sexuality?

It seems to me as if it's the latter?

The visibility and education bits happen in the project team and FAQ and conferences that are organized. The forum is just a forum. We're trying, but you can't expect random people who happen to come across this site to be accurately educating other people who happen to come across this site. AVEN can't be held accountable for what everyone says on here, even though the mods do an amazing job in my opinion.

I don't know much about the stuff behind the scenes, but @Laurann is right in that we have a Project Team and conferences and other things. The forum is a good way to get asexuals' opinions after research requests have gone through the appropriate fields. There's the Research Requests and Studies section under Announcements also the Visibility and Education Projects area with different forms of outreach both small and large. 

And we also help be here for those who hear about us and come looking for answers. : )

To quote the About AVEN:

The Asexual Visibility and Education Network (AVEN) was founded in 2001 with two distinct goals: creating public acceptance and discussion of asexuality and facilitating the growth of an asexual community. Since that time we have grown to host the world’s largest asexual community, serving as an informational resource for people who are asexual and questioning, their friends and families, academic researchers and the press. AVEN members throughout the world regularly engage in visibility projects, included but not limited to distributing informational pamphlets, leading workshops, arranging local meetups and speaking to interested press. The AVEN community centers around the web forum, which provides a safe space for asexual and questioning people and their partners, friends and families to discuss their experiences.

The forum however is a place to meet and discuss with hopefully likeminded people. We have a huge membership and therefor also a lot of different opinions that come together. We might not always agree with each other... But for some AVEN is like a second home also. A place to be.

@Guest. (Sea horse)You ask, if this site is here to educate sexual folk about asexuality or only for asexuals that need to learn about sexual people's needs and so on. In our case AVEN has helped both my wife and me learn some very important things that have saved our marriage

Whist in Recovery the most astounding thing that I learned was that not all people are wired up like me. And once I realised this and told my wife the hardest thing for her was coming to terms with the fact that she too is not wired up like me

If you have time can you take a look at these two links

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/kwkway/what-its-like-to-instantly-forget-what-friends-and-lovers-looks-like

AND

Once we realised that we are just naturally different, physically born different, from that moment onwards we stopped blaming each other and started to work on how we can overcome the obsticles. 

We could never have worked this stuff out if it had not been for AVEN

I'd say it's both. And when you're tired of learning, you can even goof off on AVEN, which helps break tension and brings aces and allos alike closer together.

Archived