Learning about interesting people?

Crazycrazycultist

Crazycrazycultist

I've kinda noticed this slowly over time. But, I love studying about interesting people. You know, just interesting people throughout our human history and lives. So, I was wondering if there's anyone who'd like to bring up someone of interest!

To be honest, I wouldn't say mine are...consistent. On one hand, I love learning about people like Freddie Mercury and Syd Barret because I find them very influential. At least, in terms of music.

Yet, on the other hand, I love learning about people like Chris Chan and Terry A Davis because of how strange and fascinating they can be. Particularly with Chris Chan.

So, do you have anyone you love learning about? I'd love to know!

Kea Tawana.  They were a homeless person in Newark, NJ, who built a seaworthy boat or "Ark" out of scrap material from nearby abandoned buildings.

Dunno if this is the kind of thing you are interested in, but I found their story incredibly intriguing.  They weren't famous at all but I love reading about eccentric free spirited characters like this and want to know more.  Unfortunately there isn't much written about them.

Crazycrazycultist
2 minutes ago, t. Ro said:

Kea Tawana.  They were a homeless person in Newark, NJ, who built a seaworthy boat or "Ark" out of scrap material from nearby abandoned buildings.

Dunno if this is the kind of thing you are interested in, but I found their story incredibly intriguing.  They weren't famous at all but I love reading about eccentric free spirited characters like this and want to know more.  Unfortunately there isn't much written about them.

I think it counts. They sound really interesting!

I think most people like learning about interesting people, it's what makes them interesting. True Crime enthusiasts like looking into seriel killers, or otherwise famous criminals. I'm especailly interested in cult leaders and how they manipulate their followers, sometimes to the point their cult is recognized as a true religion. 

Crazycrazycultist
Just now, SithGirl said:

I think most people like learning about interesting people, it's what makes them interesting. True Crime enthusiasts like looking into seriel killers, or otherwise famous criminals. I'm especailly interested in cult leaders and how they manipulate their followers, sometimes to the point their cult is recognized as a true religion. 

That's oddly what happened in my Psychology classes. We ended up talking about serial killers. Though, cult leaders are fun to learn about as well!

1 minute ago, Crazycrazycultist said:

That's oddly what happened in my Psychology classes. We ended up talking about serial killers. Though, cult leaders are fun to learn about as well!

I have a book on serial killers, like what their childhoods were like and if they were diagnosed with any mental disorders. Psychology likes them because they break the molds of normal human society and have brain chemistry to show why, a lot of the time. I think most, if not spree killers who had a mental break, end up being diagnosed with anti-social personality disorder (APD) which is more commonly known as sociopathy and psychopathy. One only needs to look at Criminal Minds and Mindhunter for TV shows centered around serial killers and the study (and capture) of them.

Some cult leaders I like are actually considered religious leaders: L Ron Hubbard and Joseph Smith.

I can list names all day long. The first few that come to mind are Larry Alan Thorne/Lauri Allan Torni, Witold Pilecki/ Tomasz Serafinski, and Ernst Junger. All these of men were soldiers who fought in Europe.

Lauri Torni was a Finnish soldier who fought the Russians before the outbreak of World War 2 during the Winter War. He joined the Waffem-SS to continue fighting against the Russians. After the war he was forced to leave Finland and he chose to join the United States Army. He fought for three different armies during his military career. He survived until the Vietnam conflict when he was killed in a helicopter crash. During his life he was awarded the Cross of Mannerheim, the Iron Cross, and the Distinguished Flying Cross. He is the only Waffen-SS member buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

Witold Pilecki was a Polish military officer and resistance leader who voluntarily entered Auschwitz to gather intelligence and  organize a resistance movement. He is famously referred to as inmate 4859. 

Ernst Junger fought for Germany in World War 1. I know less about him compared to the other two but he was said to be a strong voice against the Nazi government. The accounts I have read suggest that he refused multiple positions with the German government and rejected the requests of the propaganda leaders to use his name and writings.

Over the past few years, watching documentaries and reading biographies about famous/extraordinary people has become one of my hobbies. As you probably can tell, based on my profile pic, I'm a huge Bowie fan, and I bought some of his biographies (I'm reading one now, btw). I want to learn more about other people, like Oppenheimer, John Nash (A Beautiful Mind is one of my favorite movies), Freddie Mercury, Margaret Thatcher, Iggy Pop, Ted Bundy (I love learning about serial killers), Charles Manson, Hitler, Greta Garbo, Carrie Fisher, John Lennon, Churchill, Paul Dirac, the mafia guys, etc.

I haven't been reading much lately, due to anxiety, stress, procrastination issues, and just being busy, but it's something I enjoy very much. Even if the person is evil or batsh*t crazy, I love getting a glimpse of how they lived, what shaped their personalities, what made them tick. Maybe I can learn something from them as well. :)

✿ Camelia ✿

Ooooh, you might like the podcast The People That Time Forgot :)

It's two people chatting about brilliant people of the past, inventors, activists, artists and yada yada yada. Most of them were either outshadowed by others' fame or entirely ignored even though the impact of their lives might still resonates nowadays.

Mostly serial killers, or just famous murderers (some of them have only killed one or a few people but are still interesting to me). Their psychology, what their lives were like before and while they were killing (kind of morbidly interesting to think that regular looking person at the store or one of your coworkers could secretly be a serial killer), their killing methods, what happened to them after they were caught, or if they ever faced justice at all. Some that come to mind are Elizabeth Bathory, Ed Gein, and Jack the Ripper.

• 3 weeks later...

Nigel Marven. :)

I even wrote the Close Encounters and Awards sections and a large part of his biography on English Wikipedia. I might be his biggest fan in the world who knows everything about him.

Crazycrazycultist
1 hour ago, Steve Rogers said:

Nigel Marven. :)

I even wrote the Close Encounters and Awards sections and a large part of his biography on English Wikipedia. I might be his biggest fan in the world who knows everything about him.

Nice!

I'm a classical musician, so I'm fascinated by Mozart and Beethoven especially.  In former times when I was sick with schizophrenia, I thought I was the reincarnation of Beethoven.  But I'm better now, I just like his music.

Crazycrazycultist
2 hours ago, songchick said:

I'm a classical musician, so I'm fascinated by Mozart and Beethoven especially.  In former times when I was sick with schizophrenia, I thought I was the reincarnation of Beethoven.  But I'm better now, I just like his music.

I loved learning about Mozart as well!

• 10 months later...
BodhranBace

Taras Schevschenko. Ukrainian poet, artist and political advocate. Amazing person. 

Crazycrazycultist
1 minute ago, Bodhranbitch@bAce said:

Taras Schevschenko. Ukrainian poet, artist and political advocate. Amazing person. 

Nice!

BodhranBace
Just now, Crazycrazycultist said:

Nice!

do you know him?

Crazycrazycultist
1 minute ago, Bodhranbitch@bAce said:

do you know him?

He sounds familiar!

• 3 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

I actually enjoy learning about serial killers and other criminals. Possibly on a psychological level.

The second type would be scientists related to subjects I enjoy. One of my favourite scientists of all time is Nikola Tesla. 

Anyone who changed the course of the world for the better. Would love to pick their brains. 

Serial killers. School shooters. 

Same thing. Would love to pick the brains of such people. Try to figure out what makes a person tick. Environmental? Ego? Psychological? Neurological?

I would be curious. 

*MapleSyrup*

I find learning about Serial Killers fascinating, I recently read a book about female serial killers and came across Darya Saltykova. A Russian noble woman who tortured and killed over 100 people from inside her home until eventually the Empress herself called for Darya's arrest. Darya was interesting to learn about because of her delusional belief that since she was a noble she was Holy, and therefore could not be wrong in what she did. It is a engrossing and sometimes distressing story, I encourage you to look her up if your not too sensitive on gore.darya-saltykova_1.jpg

Every once in a while I'll fall down internet dark rabbit hole and look up things like missing people, unsolved crimes and murders or real life mysteries. I guess I just find it scary how there's things that have happened in history that can't be explained.

• 2 weeks later...
Crazycrazycultist
8 minutes ago, Karst said:

Mmmm...boneless!

Archived