Retriever — The necessity of asexual inclusion

Homer

The LGBTQIA+ is an acronym that represents different sexual and gender minorities. Among these minority groups and beyond, there is one sexuality group that lacks acknowledgment, not only in the general population, but also within the community itself.

Asexuality is the oft-forgotten A in LGBTQIA+, as the A is often relegated to represent allies. This exclusion from the standard set of recognized queer identities in the acronym is representative of a greater issue: the exclusion and denial of asexuals from the community. 

September 11, 2019 — https://retriever.umbc.edu/2019/09/the-necessity-of-asexual-inclusion/

Thanks for sharing this. I've actually seen this kind of exclusion from other members of the LGBT+ community on facebook. Underneath a post about pride pins there were loads of posts about how asexuals are just piggybacking off the LGBT+ community and claiming to be oppressed to get attention, they were basically saying asexuals don't belong in the LGBT+ community and should shut up, especially cisgendered and heteromantic asexuals. Reading this articale basically reminded me about this and I really hope these exclusionists are able to acknowledge us soon, though I'm not too helpful.

Archived