Homer

Decent German newspaper article on asexuality

Homer

German local paper Dresdner Neueste Nachrichten had a very decent article about asexuality. No "spectrum" for once :D I wasn't happy how they threw declining desire past menopause, medication or being unhappy in your relationship in there as possible "causes" of asexuality. Might just shoot them a few lines about that...

Sep 10  https://www.dnn.de/Nachrichten/Wissen/Einfach-keine-Lust-auf-Sex-Was-es-mit-Asexualitaet-auf-sich-hat

• Like 2

Mysticus Insanus

In line with German AVEN, defining asexuality purely in terms of lack of desire for partnered sex, and not mentioning "attraction" at all, except in one (IMO, problematic) passage about "people's personality being perceived as more attractive than their looks".

The article needs major kudos for that alone.

• Like 1

Nowhere Girl
1 hour ago, Mysticus Insanus said:

In line with German AVEN, defining asexuality purely in terms of lack of desire for partnered sex, and not mentioning "attraction" at all, except in one (IMO, problematic) passage about "people's personality being perceived as more attractive than their looks".

I haven't read the German AVEN site, so it's interesting to know that elsewhere the attraction vs. desire problem looks very different. I consider the desire-based definition much less confusing.

That said, "not wanting to have sex" doesn't always mean the same - for some it's closer to "I lack any desire for sex", for some (including myself) it's rather a visceral "No!!! I don't want to have sex!!". But it still includes variations of the same - the former is closer to sex-indifferent asexuality, the latter to sex-averse asexuality.

• Like 1

Stupsi
On 9/10/2019 at 3:37 PM, Homer said:

I wasn't happy how they threw declining desire past menopause, medication or being unhappy in your relationship in there as possible "causes" of asexuality. Might just shoot them a few lines about that...

Interesting how they classify asexuality as a sexual orientation first and emphasise that it's not a disease, and try to find physical and psychological reasons for it later on in the article 🙄