the ace ring

Dead account 4444

Dead account 4444

I've heard about a black ring that some asexuals wear and i was wondering why people wear them. I assume the black represents asexuality like in the flag but I was wondering why people wear them, like, is it a just pride thing or is it symbolic of something?

I personally wear it to remember myself of the journey of learning about myself that I'm currently on. And as an indicator so other aces could get in touch with me if they know the symbol and want to.

• Like 8
AceMissBehaving

I wear mine because it because I like having an outward sign of something I carried secretly and internally for so long.  

I also wear it for visibility because I don’t think we are as rare as folks think, but we are very much invisible. If someone is out there feeling isolated, maybe being able to spot an ace in the wild might make them feel a little less alone. 

• Like 7

I don't ware one because it is way too easy to be mixed up with swingers.

• Like 1

I wear mine mostly because I want to remind myself that I am not alone. It's comforting to have it on, it gives me confidence to be myself and know that that's ok. 

I also wear it because I work at a jewelry store and it's really fun when I get ace customers. Most people don't know what the ring means, but if you meet someone who does, it is really special. 

• Like 5
58 minutes ago, Layria said:

I also wear it because I work at a jewelry store and it's really fun when I get ace customers.

May I ask how they react?

• Like 1

I wear one to look at whenever someone says something that emits too much allo-ness, and also for the small possibility that other aces in the real world will recognize it.

• Like 2

I wear it for two reasons. First, I just feel better covertly signaling identity. The odds of someone recognizing it are pretty low, but it feels nice to be honest and open. Second, there is the off chance that someone does recognize it and then has the courage to strike up a conversation. Then I can make a friend. I don't have much of a downside.

• Like 2

When I'm wearing it I feel better about this aspect of myself. It helps me remember that I'm not alone, that there are ace, aro, and ally friends everywhere.

• Like 2
On 9/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, Yophe said:

May I ask how they react?

It's always been great! People are so nice and happy! See this thread I made about it a while ago: https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/188808-meeting-aces-at-work/

It's wonderful to know that I am not alone, that we exist beyond the internet. And maybe I'll make some friends!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Layria said:

See this thread I made about it a while

Well, that was an encouraging read 😁👍

• Like 2

For me it's part pride.  I didn't realized until I was 34 that I was ace, so buying the ring was sort of an act of acceptance.  Also, since aces can be so hard to find, I like to wear it as a signal to others.  It makes me feel connected when I find someone else that way.

• Like 4

I wear mine as part of my identity. It took me way to long to figure myself out, to figure out my identity and it reminds me that i'm not broke, not alone.
Also as part of showing my identity externally, but i had just a few people ask me about it. And since i have started wearing it, I feel naked without it.
Not even ace themed shirts get too many questions.

• Like 2
Chamomile_Serenity

Just in case another Ace is around. Maybe make some new acquaintances on the rare chance someone sees it an knows what it's there for. (Although right now I can't seem to find mine)

• Like 2

I just happened upon one today, so I bought it!! I am wearing it in hopes that another Ace person will see and we can connect. I’m new to my city and new to identifying as ace. I’m hoping I can make a new friend :) 

• Like 2

Do I live in a "bad" part of the world or what?
But since I've been wearing ace ring no-one came to me and asked me about it.

What are your experiences?

• Like 1

I started for pride, but after actually being identified by a fellow ace this one time I kinda keep it in hopes of making a friend :) 

also when you flip off ppl it looks cool.

• Like 5

I’ve just decided to start wearing one recently. For me, it’s a way to claim my identity and show that I’m proud to be ace. Until 4 or 5 years ago, I had to spend so much time hiding who I am (in general, not just being ace) to protect myself in an unhealthy family environment and other challenging situations, so now that I’m safe and have autonomy over my life, it’s something I feel lucky to be able to do! The possibility of it being recognized by other aces is also a nice bonus - would love to meet some other aces in person. 

Edited by aims423
  • Like 3

I wear a black ring too, mainly to remember that I belong to a community and not feeling alone and alienated or "abnormal".

I live in a small city of Greece, so I guess it's a bit rare to meet other asexuals in my way.

Plus, I don't think there are any non-asexual people out there, knowing about the meaning of the black ring.

:)

I wear mine as it's a subtle clue to my sexuality (or lack thereof) - I'm not one to shout from the rooftops, so if other aces recognise it then that's fine. To other people, they probably don't think anything of it. 

If I wanted to make a big deal, I'd bring out the ace-wristbands and badges, of course! 

• Like 2
On 9/9/2019 at 1:06 PM, Kimmie. said:

It is an unfortunate problem.  I used to wear mine often but I got a couple of really dirty looks from people (like they were thinking - you nasty pervert!) so I don't wear it much anymore, but occasionally I do if I'm in the mood.

When I did wear it more I still never met any aces in the real world anyway so didn't seem to accomplish much.  Although black is my favorite color and I think it's cool looking, visually.

• Like 2
not_all_who_wander

Has anyone ever met another ace that way? Wondering if it ever works

• Like 1

I wore my ring today, someone was friendly to me on the bus but I didn't equate that they saw my ring until later.  I was aloof and unfriendly towards the person, and I'm not even sure if I want my ace ring to attract people into my life.

It's something that is personal, for me.  Helps me remember that I"m whole and complete as I am now, and I don't need to fit in with society's conventions.  It reminds me that I am a smart and headstrong woman who has her goals and passions, and that sex doesn't have to be part of this.

• Like 2
On 9/9/2019 at 8:06 PM, Kimmie. said:

With swingers? How? Do they wear rings as well?

• Like 2