• telegram
    • medium
    • discord
    • groupme
    • Kik
    • Tik Tok
    • None of the 19 listed
  2. 2. how many did you pick

3. 3. compared to sepetember 2017, are you using more of tthese apps, same amount or less?

• more than sept 2017
    • same amount as sept 2017
    • less than sept 2017
    • do not recall

This poll is closed to new votes

what social media sites do you use?

don't mean looking at an occassional tweet on twitter, this is about having an account  and actively using the site. (for this i am discounting my use of youtube as apart from an occassional thumbs up, i'm a lurker there.

Also, not a thread for sharing your personal account or discords, you may find such in meet up mart.

for posterity, this is a repeat of this poll

it might be interesting to see how our social media sites have changed in the past two years

for me i am still using facebook but have added whatsapp (because of a stag but it is useful to send messages and organise boozing sessions and to not spend money texting my mother) and i also have a twitter account with 58 followers (more than the number of facebook friends i have and a second account with 1 follower)

Ah shit, I filled this in before I read the explanation. This bring the number of social media sites I have used down from 12 to 2. My mistake. Is there anyway to undo poll answers?

Squirrel Combat

First, Pinterest is on the list twice. I use only the big three. Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.

That's it?

Wow! I'm good!

I use youtube (though I rarely comment and have never uploaded a thing), pinterest (in the beginning of the year, I have deleted it now. I had downloaded it mainly to look up references for art), messenger (to chat with irl friends), discord (to chat with AVENites) and reddit (to look at memes, I rarely comment there as well)

So in practice it's 2, but because I have left a few comments here and there on youtube and reddit and used to spend quite some time on pinterest, I left them there.

Custard Cream

I seem to be a bit too active for an elderly biscuit.  I use Pinterest, Discord and WhatsApp most.  I am much less active on Instagram and Facebook than I used to be.  The average age of my friends has dropped dramatically in the last year, so I guess I have had to keep up with the times!

2 hours ago, iff said:

don't mean looking at an occassional tweet on twitter, this is about having an account  and actively using the site. (for this i am discounting my use of youtube as apart from an occassional thumbs up, i'm a lurker there.

Thanks for this clarification :) 

As a Gmail user,I have a YT account, but I almost never log in before I watch videos. I guess it doesn't count then. 

I think the only social site that I actively use these days in the way you specified is Last.fm. I scrobble music (= I constantly update my list of recently played), even though I rarely talk to other users nowadays.

Also, I wasn't aware that Skype counts as social media.

Not sure how to answer. I don't use any of those as social media on a regular basis. I only watch videos on youtube, never leave comments. I have used skype in a very limited sense, not for social purposes. Same for whatsapp. And that's about it, unless you count forums like AVEN and some hobby blogs where I do leave comments.

AceMissBehaving

I use Instagram, Facebook a lot, and Pinterest a fair amount.

Pinterest is mostly for organizing my brain across all of my projects more than social though, and a lot of mine is private because of that.

IG I manage I think 5 different accounts 

Horse Ham Radio

I have:

Facebook
Snapchat
Messenger
Whatsapp
Discord
Technically have a YouTube account, but don't do anything there other than watch the odd video, so didn't count it.

Most of these I only use for a single purpose where other options aren't suitable and I remain logged out of for 99% of the time. I am using more than in 2017 as these sites/apps have found niches. Where possible, I try to minimise the number I use and would readily discard any. Anything that means one less thing to keep an eye on is good ;)

I have heard of the others except groupme - never come across that one before. I have viewed content on some of the other sites, but I don't have an account there: Twitter, Linkedin, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, Reddit, Medium (used this one a lot).

The others I haven't visited in the past year (Telegram, groupme, Kik, TikTok)
1 hour ago, Squirrel Combat said:

First, Pinterest is on the list twice. I use only the big three. Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.

That's it?

Wow! I'm good!

Deleted the duplicated pinterest

1 hour ago, HonoraryJedi said:

Ah shit, I filled this in before I read the explanation. This bring the number of social media sites I have used down from 12 to 2. My mistake. Is there anyway to undo poll answers?

Unfortunately not, I could change vote counts but it's very messy

1 hour ago, Piotrek said:

Thanks for this clarification :) 

As a Gmail user,I have a YT account, but I almost never log in before I watch videos. I guess it doesn't count then. 

I think the only social site that I actively use these days in the way you specified is Last.fm. I scrobble music (= I constantly update my list of recently played), even though I rarely talk to other users nowadays.

Also, I wasn't aware that Skype counts as social media.

I wasn't either but statist a included it on the list I was referring to

https://www.statista.com/statistics/248074/most-popular-us-social-networking-apps-ranked-by-audience/

1 hour ago, CustardCream said:

I seem to be a bit too active for an elderly biscuit.  I use Pinterest, Discord and WhatsApp most.  I am much less active on Instagram and Facebook than I used to be.  The average age of my friends has dropped dramatically in the last year, so I guess I have had to keep up with the times!

What's elderly for a biscuit? I mean, is there a big difference in human versus biscuit years?

I occasionally post comments on YouTube, even less on Instagram and the least on Pinterest. I also have a Flickr account which I upload content to occasionally; that's something of an online portfolio for me. Finally, I have a DeviantArt account (hello @Herfst Seizoen !) which I look around on and post comments on occasionally. The main reason I have a Pinterest account is because they won't let me look at much of anything without one.

Autumn Season
14 minutes ago, Jon A. said:

Finally, I have a DeviantArt account (hello @Herfst Seizoen !) which I look around on and post comments on occasionally. 

:D

I didn't even know that youtube or messenger apps count as "social media". The more you know.

*picks four then*

I've used Facebook and Twitter (mostly for business/marketing purposes, but there are some people I know who basically refuse to be contacted aside from through Facebook), and also Discord for RPG chats and a few communities I'm part of. That's really it. I don't mind Discord so much, but I'd get off the other two in an instant if I had no reasons not to.

Depends on what counts as using a site but, I would say that at least facebook (only a few times), twitter, youtube, instagram, pinterest and whatsapp

Twitter is my main.

I use Insta a bit, mostly for food photos. I only speak to one person on WhatsApp. I've got Discord, but it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me and I don't really care enough about it to try TBH!

Only YouTube. Not counting Facebook as I've only used that because I've a password for a non-social-media app stored on there

I was on Facebook, my dysfunctional family put an end to that, I use Skype to talk to my friends in other countries and YouTube to listen to Defected Radio and watch the occasional video

everywhere and nowhere

I use social media "passively": that is, I read some entries* on f. or t. (lack of full words indicates my hostility to the "obligatory" character of social media... although, this attitude seems to be going away), but I don't have any social media accounts. For example, I check on the profiles of some game developers to see if there's any progresss on the game.

*OK, posting updates is fine... but facebook should never be used as a blog substitute. A big NO!!! to "blogs" without archive!!!

An example. As introduction: in English the "title" for having climbed the highest peaks of all continents is "Seven Summits", in Polish it's literally "Crown of the Earth". "Crown of the Himalaya and Karakoram" are all eight-thousanders, "Crown of Europe" are the highest peaks of all countries in Europe, "Crown of Polish Mountains" is some list of highest peaks in Polish mountain ranges... not too huge (the highest peak in Poland is 2499 m asl and most of Poland is fairly flat), but anyway. Some guys - also using this fun idea to collect money for a charity - came up with the idea of "Crown of Warsaw": six highest "peaks" in Warsaw, with the highest one being just 152 meters asl... ;) The first one was accumulated, starting from the 17th century, from urban waste covered with soil, then three hills were built after the war with rubble cleared during the city's reconstruction, and in the 1970s two hills were built in Ursynów district, where I live, from soil dug out when building fundaments for new houses, along with some damaged construction elements.

The fun thing is that they were writing it in a funny way, as if they were really on some expedition to the Himalaya... they even wrote official letters to district authorities, asking for permission to climb the hills... some officials were willing to play along, but some didn't even try to respond (so those guys decided to climb the Mound of Warsaw Uprising "illegally" :lol:). Anyway, their reports were a lot of fun to read. But, alas, it's only facebook, no blog... so reading everything means scrolling and scrolling and scrolling. I'll have to finally return to the profile and copy the texts to a file for reading more comfortably.

I use Twitter, Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest the most! My pinterest is open to the public and I just like whatever fanart/idol pics that I think are cute, I run a fanacc on Twitter + have my own personal gaming account, Youtube is just to watch Let's Plays + interact with my favorite gamers, and Instagram is super private and locked for only my close friends to contact me/post our experiences.

I feel like I use a lot less social media as the years go on. I get busy and I feel like the older I get the less patience I have for a lot of the "twitter culture/etc" they call it? On one of my Twitter accs I only added my friends I made while travelling abroad + a few friends from a forum that died a few months back + some update/news accounts, and I keep it really close knit. I just hate seeing all the toxicity that can sometimes be on there, and just want to follow people that I know won't be so petty + annoying. I want to wake up and see happy things, not a hot mess.

I quit Tumblr a few months ago, since the political discourse there was making me too stressed.  I still check in on a computer-science blog I like, though.

YouTube, I use to make playlists, which is helpful when you run D&D games and you need some ambient music.

• 5 weeks later...
OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

I just use Youtube out of those. Even then, I almost never leave comments. I mainly just go there to watch videos. I didn't know it counted as a social media site.

• 7 months later...

I am definitely using more apps, but probably less time

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2019 at 4:51 PM, iff said:

Didn't read this before replying, any way to change the reply? I ticked 6 answers, but I'm a lurker in all but 2.

• 2 months later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived