Research Request: A-spec Identities

Jarle

Hi all, 

We received the following from Neir, an independent researcher: 

TITLE: Discovering A-spec Identity Survey

This is a broad a-spec survey - it’s for aros, aces, a-specs, and all grey or questioning folks on any of those spectra. If you are aro only, ace only, or a-spec only, you are just as welcome to participate as aroaces - there will be questions about your other identities as well. 

The survey will ask you about your experiences learning about your identity. The purpose of this survey is to understand how a-spec people came to learn about their identities and how they define them for themselves. We want to collect data and narratives so that we can understand how best to engage each demographic in things like outreach and discussions.

It is entirely optional to participate. There are a few questions in this survey that require you to write in your own words - feel free to be as brief or as lengthy as you’d like, using whatever kind of register you’re most comfortable with. It does not have to be a formal essay or in complete sentences - just your thoughts. You may also stop participating at any time, for any reason. There may be some questions that could be distressing for you, and if you feel uncomfortable at any point during the survey, you may pause to come back later, stop entirely, and/or seek out immediate help through a local crisis line.

A couple of online support resources that you can go to in the case of distress include:
https://www.thetrevorproject.org/get-help-now/

If you are interested in participating, CLICK HERE.

Thank you very much, and if you have any questions, please contact the lead researcher, Neir, at neir.mazur@gmail.com or at aro-neir-o.tumblr.com.

This study has been approved by the Research Approval Board. 

Well that was fun! Hooray for social scientific research! 

I'd love to do it, but I know that some surveys do not allow people under 18 to participate. I read through the informed consent page and didn't see anything about it, but does anyone know if that is important?

How long does this survey take to complete? :unsure:

29 minutes ago, uniQChick said:

How long does this survey take to complete? :unsure:

Eh, it really depends on how much you feel like explaining your attractions or not. But, it does allow you to skip questions, if you want.

It said something about that it allows people to come back and take up to two weeks to fill out the survey. But, I'd say it takes around 20-40 minutes, depending on how much writing a person feels like doing.

It doesn't have as many questions as other asexual/romantic surveys I've taken (which had over a hundred questions). I'd say there are around 25-30 questions.

I liked the survey, how it gaves several options for questions (you're allowed to pick more than one, if you choose), how it allowed others to answer "unsure" or "questioning," and allowed others to write explanations, themselves.

On 9/5/2019 at 5:55 PM, Red Ivy said:

I'd love to do it, but I know that some surveys do not allow people under 18 to participate. I read through the informed consent page and didn't see anything about it, but does anyone know if that is important?

There's a question about your age towards the end, which has options of both "Under 15" as well as "15-17", so I strongly suspect it's meant for all ages :)

Done! This was a fascinating survey and it had some great questions! Will you be posting the results of the survey here or anywhere else? 

4 hours ago, SmallBean said:

Done! This was a fascinating survey and it had some great questions! Will you be posting the results of the survey here or anywhere else? 

I imagine that, since the researcher posted their survey from last year on their Tumblr blog (the link given in the first post), that they might do the same for this one, too.

Here's the one from last year, in case you're interested in seeing how the data might look (it's slightly down the page). https://aro-neir-o.tumblr.com/page/3

On 9/10/2019 at 3:38 PM, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

I imagine that, since the researcher posted their survey from last year on their Tumblr blog (the link given in the first post), that they might do the same for this one, too.

Here's the one from last year, in case you're interested in seeing how the data might look (it's slightly down the page). https://aro-neir-o.tumblr.com/page/3

Sounds good, thanks for letting me know! : )

@SmallBean :) Sure. You're welcome. 

The only bad part about their survey results from last year, is that (for me, at least, on a laptop) their graphics are showing up blurry, and there doesn't seem to be a way for me to try to fix it so that I can read them; I can only read their written results.

Archived