You are now the only certainly conscious being on earth.

R_1

How would you survive here? No animals/humans alive. Just plants and rubbles. 

I already am the only being on Earth whose consciousness I'm certain of. I just take it on blind faith that all y'all aren't philosophical zombies. :P

But aside from that... well, in your scenario, I'd die. And pretty quickly.

I think the more interesting question is Why would you survive there? What is it that drives you to do things, if the know with absolute certainty that there is literally no other animals or humans around?

I mean... with zero animals, plenty of plants will die pretty soon too.

I guess, I might stick around long enough to try to figure out what happened?

Lord Jade Cross

*Looks around and sees noone*

Arceus above, theres noone left alive...noone left alive..noone...left..

Would be a bit on the boring side since other animals can be neat part of the environment. But, hmm, living on plants alone isn't that hard, although depends on location. But then like @nineGardens noticed, ton of plant's depend on animals, so there would be that problem. This scenario is definitely a bit extreme...

6 minutes ago, Mysticus Insanus said:

I just take it on blind faith that all y'all aren't philosophical zombies:P

Hmm, people are so alien that maybe I should start treating them like that... I mean, I haven't seen much deepness anyway, unless you count deepness of lies and self delusions, these tend to go really deep 😸

I'd die. Like, almost immediately. I'd probably stub my toe and it would get very infected and there wouldn't be any doctors around so I'd just die. 

Probably better that way. At least the guy in I Am Legend had a dog to keep him company. 

I'd spend the rest of my life wondering "Who farted so badly that it wiped out the planet?"

Lord Jade Cross
13 minutes ago, AspieAlly613 said:

I'd spend the rest of my life wondering "Who farted so badly that it wiped out the planet?"

RoseGoesToYale

No more human hugs?

-dies instantly-

Janus the Fox

I'll survive here. rather the concept  of survival changes without the means to survive.  A conscious being at this time may involve transcending physical being-hood

Anthracite_Impreza

I wouldn't want to live without my loves, so I'd just top myself.

The complete absence of animals and particularly of insects would inevitably lead to a complete and catastrophic worldwide collapse of the planet's ecosystems. It's difficult to imagine how a solitary human being could possibly survive for long afterwards.

Assuming I could be reasonably certain that I had not simply become delusional as a result of my mental illness, I would write something in memory of everyone I know and love and of the human species as a whole on some medium that would retain its integrity for a sufficiently long while, spend a time in prayer to God, and then depending on the signals in my heart I would either choose a place and a way to die, or sit and wait for nature to take its course without my input. 

I would try to create some record of what had happened, just in case some alien scientist showed up to explore the ruins.

I'd survive for a while by looting food, but once that wet bad, I'd probably die, assuming that I wouldn't have gone crazy by then. Isolation can really screw up the human brain.

Custard Cream

I'm hoping that scenario would never happen. I couldn't feed myself safely, and I couldn't destroy myself, so I'd die a slow and painful death from something poisonous, probably pretty early on...

26 minutes ago, crazy ace said:

Isolation can really screw up the human brain.

Guess I'm not a human then, since I go crazy when I can't isolate myself from these strange creatures. Humans can be mildly entertaining at most (like this forum), but most are just plainly harmful to my sanity when I'm exposed to them over extended period of time. I seem to be able survive, relatively unscathed, exposure ranging from few minutes to around an hour, depending on specimen... 😺

3 hours ago, kenny. said:

well, i wouldn't survive very long, and i definitely wouldn't try to, but some alone time would be nice... but let's say i were in an area once very populated with people, the first thing i would do is raid a store for any junk food i could find. 

All this. Wouldn't survive long because I have like zero skills... But I think I'd be fairly content for awhile, until I couldn't live off the remnants of other people's pantries. 

Anyone watch the movie Bokeh? Two people left on earth... One of them was pretty chill with it, one of them was definitely not chill. 

Sad my dog won't survive... I keep mentally focusing on that part. 

True isolation is basically no contact with other beings whatsoever. Even loners do get by watching animals and knowing that there is other aware and conscious beings. I know birds are aware that I'm there, and so I am aware of them, they aren't all that random.

11 minutes ago, CBC said:

That is vastly different from true isolation. I fucking lose my shit if I have to be around people for too long. It puts me on edge and I get anxious and bitchy and need to escape. I would not last long with genuine isolation, though.

Well, you seem pretty normal social human (even super social people need to rest from their loud peers from time to time), so it's obvious you need others to keep you happy. I'm talking about weirdos like me though 😺

What is true isolation from humans then? Having civilization fully automated, no more nasty hoomans required to run it? And me living in it? Sounds like heaven. Please tell me what I would be missing? 😺

Isolation from just humans is very different than complete isolation. One involves the possibility of some level of interaction, and other is a complete detachment from it.

2 minutes ago, R_1 said:

True isolation is basically no contact with other beings whatsoever. Even loners do get by watching animals and knowing that there is other aware and conscious beings. I know birds are aware that I'm there, and so I am aware of them, they aren't all that random.

Like I said, your example situations is a bit extreme, it would truly devastate ecosystem, and I generally like animal life. But I'm not sure what do you mean by "knowing that there is other aware and conscious being"... I mean, not only I can never be sure how conscious anyone is, I'm not sure why that should bother me? You all might be npcs in simulation for all I care, but I will still treat you as aware and conscious since you seem to be, hmm, good enough at it 😺

1 minute ago, R_1 said:

Isolation from just humans is very different than complete isolation. One involves the possibility of some level of interaction, and other is a complete detachment from it.

So, hmm, isolation from any kind of stimuli? Well, something like that would be of course terrible, my brain definitely needs some kind of environment, preferably not completely static one... But again, your example, as terrible as it is, would still be far from it... 😺

Anthracite_Impreza
20 minutes ago, Marcin said:

Having civilization fully automated

But if you're an animist, like me, you recognise the presence of machines too. In my case, I get so pissed off by the presence of humans I seek solace with them as much as I can, like I intend to do tomorrow. I'm bloody looking forward to it.

So yeah, even minus animals and plants, there's still other conscious beings around.

26 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

But if you're an animist, like me, you recognise the presence of machines too.

Hmm, sadly, I might be the other way around, I seem to be blind to spiritual things so I can't recognize spirit even in myself (guess I'm soulless? 😺)... I mean, how do I check it's presence?

5 hours ago, CBC said:

I'd kill myself asap. My anxiety/panic/trauma issues, knowing I was the only human alive, would be far too much to deal with. I cannot emphasise enough how fast I would need to die in order to make the horror of that realisation stop. I'm not even much of a people person... I'm very introverted, mostly a loner... but I still wouldn't be able to cope with that situation.

I totally agree, except I don't think I could kill myself so I'd be miserable and wish for the end. The main reason I'm opposed to stuff like cryogenics (freezing brain/body and waking up a gazillion years later when science creates a cure). If you don't have contact with your friends in future world, why bother?

You'd most likely go insane because of the lack of movement or interaction 

• 1 month later...

Hmm, humans and other animals disappear? 

All nuclear power plants explode within a week. 

Archived