sex: yay, meh, or nay?

kemvon

attitudes to sex  

44 members have voted

1. 1. POLITICALLY: how do you think of sex? are you positive (for it), neutral (don't mind it), or negative (definitely no), or repulsed (disgusted by the idea)? or perhaps are you of another opinion?

• sex positive
    • sex neutral
    • sex negative
    • sex repulsed
    • unsure/don't know
    • other
  2. 2. PERSONALLY: how do you think of sex? are you positive (for it), neutral (don't mind it), or negative (definitely no), or repulsed (disgusted by the idea)? or perhaps are you of another opinion?

• sex positive
    • sex neutral
    • sex negative
    • unsure/don't know
    • other

Politically: What do you think of sex as an action/activity as of itself?

Personally: What do you think of sexual acts involving yourself?

Sex is a weird thing for the asexual community. Asexual, per definition, is someone who does not experience sexual attraction and the spectrum has a whole variety for that.

However, contrary to popular belief, some asexuals are what is called "sex-positive", meaning that they can indeed enjoy sexual acts; they just don't experience the sexual attraction.

So, a really interesting thing is: what are the statistics for attitudes towards sex? The asexual spectrum has a whole variety of opinions on this, and an interesting thing is - what is the most popular attitude? 

Feel free to vote on the poll and then explain your choice if you'd like. Sex is a really interesting topic to talk about.

(personally, I'm sex neutral. I'm not all for the act, I don't mind others doing it, but I'd just rather not do it.)

5 minutes ago, skullery said:

Your definitions are off. Sex positive doesn't mean you personally want or even like sex. Your personal sexual preferences have nothing to do with being "sex positive." 

Wrong. The literal meaning of sex positive is a positive experience with sex. They just will not desire it themselves because their ace. 

2 minutes ago, KrysLost said:

Wrong. The literal meaning of sex positive is a positive experience with sex. They just will not desire it themselves because their ace. 

Lol. Wrong back. Find me any reputable source that defines it as desiring sex. 

Anthracite_Impreza

I am sex neutral politically and sex repulsed personally.

I'm demi-ace... and sex neutral - I have 3 children to speak for it. 

For me, from past experience, if my romantic partner at that time is for it, my brain would switch the sexual part on from time to time where I would even initiate. While if my romantic partner isn't for it, my brain doesn't switch it on. Its not something I can control. 

I can't picture myself having sex, but it just seem like eh not really interesting to me. Not repulsed, just more like it's not gonna happen and I like that way.

Lord Jade Cross

Seen too much crap and things go terrible wrong whenever sex is involved so Im going to have to go with sex negative on the overview scale and repulsed on the personal scale.  

I can’t see myself having sex, and the idea of it is kinda gross. Dunno i’m like that cuz i’m still a kid, or something else lol.

Like many others on here, I think being able to choose two would be more accurate. I'm pretty neutral about it. I mean if that's what it takes for a relationship, sure I don't mind. That is, until I'm actually there. Then I'm too repulsed to do it a second time. 

I'm sex-positive politically, and sex-neutral personally (I think. I can't know for sure personally as I have never experienced it).

On 9/5/2019 at 6:01 AM, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Perhaps, there could've been an "I don't know" or "I'm unsure," option.

added that option

On 9/5/2019 at 6:04 AM, idkwmoi said:

Like many others on here, I think being able to choose two would be more accurate. I'm pretty neutral about it. I mean if that's what it takes for a relationship, sure I don't mind. That is, until I'm actually there. Then I'm too repulsed to do it a second time. 

there's now a second poll - there'll now be two (with the same options) - one for "political"and one for "personal"

While I have absolutely no interest in sex and would avoid it entirely, I'm quite happy about the general sex-positive "revolution" that has happened to make people more comfortable in their sexuality, and openness about sexuality in general.

I've whipped up some basic definitions for politically/personally for those who might be a little confused:

Politically: What do you think of sex as an action/activity as of itself?

Personally: What do you think of sexual acts involving yourself?

If anyone would like to think of or find definitions for the attitudes towards sex (hopefully citing sources), that'd be nice. I'll try and surf the web for definitions, as there seems to be some discourse over the definitions.

Archived