Asexuality in labrinth breathing fish such as bettas.

Samantha McAllister

Samantha McAllister

I have been breeding betta fish for years as a hobby. I have read every book and known article of publication about labyrinth breathing fish (betta splendins). In all my time keeping these fish, I have never seen anything quite as unusual as what I have seen this evening. On quite a few occasions I have seen females alongside male's tending to nests and eggs. Nonetheless, this occurrence in itself I thought was unusually extraordinary, as I had never read that even this was possible in any Siamese fighting fish publication. However, what I have come across today far surpasses what I already know about Siamese fighting fish (betta splendins). Upon removing my bettas bowl from his normal spot in the window, I noticed my young red shortfin male betta had built a rather large bubble nest, and was frantically scoopingto up eggs to  re-insert in the bubble nest. My young male betta has never been exposed to any other bettas, so spawning was not possible. I am aware that some monitor lizards are able to reproduce asexuallly,  but never thought that Siamese fighting fish could . Surprisingly, I now believe that it's possible the betta fish can reproduce on their own, because I've seen it now with my own eyes. Has anyone else had a similar occurrence with betta fish, or labyrinth breathing fish in the Gourami family reproducing asexually?

I've moved this thread from 'Questions about Asexuality' to 'Philosophy, Politics, and Science'.

Michael Tannock,
Open Mic moderator and Questions about Asexuality Co-moderator.

Welcome to AVEN!

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about fish or Asexual reproduction.

The forum is primarily about Asexuality as a sexual orientation in humans.

Incidentally, it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake, and here's a 'Betta Splendens Fish' cake (all edible),

http://cakesdecor.com/cakes/304774-betta-splendens-fish-cake

pvulworwk18fplel54gu.jpg

AceMissBehaving

I’m not sure you’ll find the answers you’re looking for here, but I’m fascinated and would love to hear more about what you find out.

That is a different type of asexuality than the kind AVEN is about. (reproduction vs orientation, as others noted) :P 

This is PPS, So a science debate will make a pleasant change 

AceMissBehaving
31 minutes ago, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

This is PPS, So a science debate will make a pleasant change 

It is now, and I’m very much here for it!

Archived