Asexuals on TV

rhyven

I could bet a quarter I saw this topic on here before but for the life of me, I cannot find it...so please forgive for those who search better than i do. :)

Any tv characters come to mind that make you go hummmmm....?

I always think of the guy on CSI-the original series, Gil Grishem, and the character Robert Goren on Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

anyone, anyone? :)

Oh Daria is great.

Me, I can't really think of anyone but those mentioned in the thread. But I agree with what's been said.

Haha, I just thought of Al Bundy from Married With Children, but then I realised he gets aroused by women other than his wife :lol:

I used to think that the character Lilly Rush on Cold Case was pretty asexy but the writers started making her character very horny at the end of last season.

From the Tenchi series' - Tenchi

From Firefly - possibly Simon, River (but really how would you tell?), and mabe even Mal (he didn't really seem interested in the prostitues, and everytime he did engage it was with someone schooled in seduction.

Star Trek - Any Vulcan, Data.

I could bet a quarter I saw this topic on here before but for the life of me, I cannot find it

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/18626-asexual-characters/

There ya go biggrin.gif

But, anyway...

Amelie Poulain, from the movie of the same name. Yeah.

Sasuke and Gaara from the anime Naruto

Haruhi from the anime Ouran High School Host Club
From Firefly - possibly Simon, River (but really how would you tell?), and mabe even Mal (he didn't really seem interested in the prostitues, and everytime he did engage it was with someone schooled in seduction.

Not Simon. Mal's interesting, with all the tension between him and Inara... but maybe! But I'm pretty sure Simon's been proven sexual.

Thank you. I knew there was something on here related to this topic. But since that one includes EVERYTHING and this one is television specific, I feel ok. :)

Kino, from 'Kino's Journey' (sound familiar...?)

Rei Ayanami from 'Eva' ('course...it's Rei)

Maybe Gendou, too?

Lain, from 'Serial Experiments Lain' (from what I've seen)

Akito, from 'Fruits Basket'

ummm...that's all I can think of right now.

Not Simon. Mal's interesting, with all the tension between him and Inara... but maybe! But I'm pretty sure Simon's been proven sexual.

When? He's clearly attracted to Kayleigh but it's made very clear that that never became sexual (much to Kayleigh's woe).

due south -fraser. Though there was a season with some more "romantic type" episodes, he never actually slept with any of the women on the show (some fanguide makes that clear)

When? He's clearly attracted to Kayleigh but it's made very clear that that never became sexual (much to Kayleigh's woe).

Have you seen Serenity?

I know in the series he's hesitant, because of sister issues at the very least, but after seeing Serenity, I think there's a much stronger case for his sexuality. :)

I know in the series he's hesitant, because of sister issues at the very least, but after seeing Serenity, I think there's a much stronger case for his sexuality.

Depends on whether you consider Serenity to be an extension of Firefly canon or not. I don't, so I'd say Firefly Simon definitely reads asexual to me, but Serenity Simon reads as a rather forced and unconvincing het.

Borrible Cal.

Depends on whether you consider Serenity to be an extension of Firefly canon or not. I don't' date=' so I'd say Firefly Simon definitely reads asexual to me, but Serenity Simon reads as a rather forced and unconvincing het.[/quote']

Definitely fair. I have to admit I've never been a member of the Firefly or Serenity fandom, more of just a casual watcher, so I'll happily admit I've not looked below the surface. :) (Although the moment when he starts becoming sexual -- am trying hard not to spoil anything so I hope I'm managing to both be clear and not spoilery -- did seem a little out of the blue, I definitely agree.)

(Although the moment when he starts becoming sexual -- am trying hard not to spoil anything so I hope I'm managing to both be clear and not spoilery -- did seem a little out of the blue, I definitely agree.)

Yes--out of the blue definitely describes it! Also trying to avoid spoileriness, I think one of the reasons that Simon's rather awkward to pin down on this issue is that we never see him acting on anything intrinsic to him, only reacting with varying degrees of discomfort to what is to my mind some rather manipulative, and in fact almost harassing, behaviour from Kaylee.

Borrible Cal.

due south -fraser. Though there was a season with some more "romantic type" episodes, he never actually slept with any of the women on the show (some fanguide makes that clear)

Aw, yeah. I like to think of Fraser as asexual.

Depends on whether you consider Serenity to be an extension of Firefly canon or not. I don't...

I always find it funny when somebody says they don't consider something that was done by the original creator and intended to be an extension of the first story to be canon.

I always find it funny when somebody says they don't consider something that was done by the original creator and intended to be an extension of the first story to be canon.

I dunno. There are some things... like Final Fantasy VII. The new games/movie/animations are meant to be a part of canon, and yet there are parts in the new things that openly contradict the original game. Since the releases of those, I'll happily let anyone pick and choose where they want to draw the canon line.

And now I'm completely off-topic so who's a good asexual character on TV? Hmm. I don't know. The shows I watch have already been mentioned or don't have anyone that I think is asexual in them. (Or rather, I sort of assume all of them are asexual until proven sexual, but there's nothing I can point to that says "Hey look, this shows asexual behavior!")

I know in the series he's hesitant, because of sister issues at the very least, but after seeing Serenity, I think there's a much stronger case for his sexuality.

Depends on whether you consider Serenity to be an extension of Firefly canon or not. I don't, so I'd say Firefly Simon definitely reads asexual to me, but Serenity Simon reads as a rather forced and unconvincing het.

I dunno; Firefly Simon comes off as interested but repressed [and not particularly asexy]. Seems like he's really into Kaylee, but he's too uptight about being 'proper' and really preoccupied with River.

Now, River, I can see as an ace.

Depends on whether you consider Serenity to be an extension of Firefly canon or not. I don't...

The thing is that Serenity created some rather large plot holes. Specifically the opening where Simon rescued river from the 'school'. In the series they said that he paid other people to smuggle her out of crio-freezing. Also in that opening Simon knew she was a psychic,. The whole point of 'Objects in Space' was the crew figuring that out.

~g~ Well, it's all a question of perception and taste, isn't it? If it helps, depending on my mood I don't necessarily think of Peacekeeper Wars as Farscape canon, either--it's one possibility, but one doesn't have to accept it as the only one...

The thing is that Serenity created some rather large plot holes. Specifically the opening where Simon rescued river from the 'school'. In the series they said that he paid other people to smuggle her out of crio-freezing. Also in that opening Simon knew she was a psychic,. The whole point of 'Objects in Space' was the crew figuring that out.

Exactly, and the retcon explanation (that Simon was convincingly lying, or at least being economical with the truth, when telling his story to the crew in 'Serenity') also flatly contradicts series canon, because series characterisation of Simon is as a thoroughly unconvincing liar...

Also, Serenity is tonally and, for me at least, thematically very different from Firefly--enough to make it painfully unpleasant to watch. It's related, for sure, but it's different too.

If we're going to go down the 'JKR says' road, though: Joss Whedon himself has actually said that Serenity is not Firefly. Different media mean different stories, told in different ways.

who's a good asexual character on TV? Hmm. I don't know

Until recently I'd have said Diana Skouris on The 4400, but I understand that the third series establishes otherwise. Can't think of any others off the top of my head right now, though.

Oh, just a second. Should have thought of this earlier, given that I've already mentioned Farscape! How about Lieutenant/Captain Braca?

Borrible Cal.

the_dancing_spangle
I could bet a quarter I saw this topic on here before but for the life of me, I cannot find it

http://www.asexuality.org/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=18626

There ya go :D

But, anyway...

Amelie Poulain, from the movie of the same name. Yeah.

Sasuke and Gaara from the anime Naruto

Haruhi from the anime Ouran High School Host Club

Wait... doesn't Amelie have sex with her crush at the end? I remember her being very childish and feeling but I distincly remember them getting it on, or it is implied. It's been a long time since I saw that. (ps...also not on TV)

The only thing she does at the end is that thing where she kisses his cheek and his forehead. Unless there was some implication I didn't pick up on, the only time sex was really mentioned was that part when they talk about all of the orgasms in Paris at the moment (15!)

And the flashback bit where Amelie was having sex with a former boyfriend (or rather, he was having sex with her). She looked kinda bemused/confused/uncomfortable.

And of course the pair she matched up having noisy sex in the cafe toilet.

There was lots of sexual stuff happening all around her, but she was rather asexual.

And the flashback bit where Amelie was having sex with a former boyfriend (or rather, he was having sex with her). She looked kinda bemused/confused/uncomfortable.

Oh, I completely forgot about that part!! Yeah, he was on top of her, doing it, and she was looking around like "Will you get off of me so I can go read or something?"

Due South was a totally cool show. Why did they take it off???

Also... KITT from Knight Rider... but he wasn't human, so probably doesn't count.

Wait... doesn't Amelie have sex with her crush at the end? I remember her being very childish and feeling but I distincly remember them getting it on, or it is implied.

We see them in bed together at the end - he's lying with his head on her bare chest, and she's watching him sleep. The implication seems to be that they had sex, but we don't actually see them do anything other than literally sleep together.

Archived