Detroit: Become Human, Android-Human relationships

Obviously this is meant to be about consenting and sentient beings in a relationship etc. I'm just curious how they would navigate intimacy. There's the usual romance stuff, but androids are asexual because they are not made of bio matter like us. An ace human would get along well however androids connect another well in what could be an equivalent to sex/a large intimacy for us. Aka their ability to connect memories and minds by touching each other because their robots. Humans cannot do that and as what is seen in the game it's a very intimate gesture.  Almost seems necessary to them for romance (but who knows). This is just food for thought.

ok, look. if you're makin a movie or something, about robots...but you don't understand the thing you are making a thing about, and you hire some actors and tape a little blue circle to their temple as if that's all it takes and they don't understand the thing you are making a thing about and you can't even tell, because you don't even know what you are looking for, then them androids can sure be experiencing anything you think you are trying to say with them, like puppets easy to pose cause their strings are all cut and tangled.

I guess it would also be impacted in if you believe a android could have free will and desire like a human and if they would desire it. 

Me; Lets go out on a date

Android: A-Okay

Me: Do you wanna go on a date

Android: If you desire it

Me: Do YOU wanna go on a date

Andorid: I do not understand, but if it is your desire then-

Me: *throws Android out* *glass crashing*

As much fun as it would to be bossy. It would be hella awkard.

Anthracite_Impreza

Considering I'm in a relationship with a car... go for it. I'm not remotely attracted to androids myself cos they're too human-like :wacko:

5 hours ago, KrysLost said:

For all of you who have not read the title. Detroit: Become Human is a video game and a popular one at that. 

what makes it a popular game? it isn't a good game, as so often with quantic dream, the story and mechanics find themselves antagonistic to each other. or maybe that is simply an aspect of how hamfisted the story is overall. does it have anything going for it other than that it's pretty and gives you a "good job, you did something" sticker every 300 feet?

3 hours ago, gisiebob said:

what makes it a popular game? it isn't a good game, as so often with quantic dream, the story and mechanics find themselves antagonistic to each other. or maybe that is simply an aspect of how hamfisted the story is overall. does it have anything going for it other than that it's pretty and gives you a "good job, you did something" sticker every 300 feet?

Then that's your problem. I didn't make this thread to debate on the game. I genuinely enjoyed it and so did many others. 

4 hours ago, KrysLost said:

Then that's your problem. I didn't make this thread to debate on the game. I genuinely enjoyed it and so did many others. 

and David Cage didn't create a game to say something visionary about artificial life. leaves me wondering what these big dumb things like myself are doing here.

Never played the game myself.  There are plenty of better stories about AI out there.

I don't think DBH can be used as a fair representation of android sentience and science fiction. The game did a lot of amazing things like the CGI work, but most of the story was kinda...hamfisted. The robots stopped being robots because a virus 'woke them up' and turned them human. It flew over the whole philosophical trope of what a sentient android really is. (Conner's still an adorable bean.)

Androids don't require the same things humans do, and they don't follow logic like us. Androids and romance would be a pretty interesting story...

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:33 AM, gisiebob said:

what makes it a popular game? it isn't a good game,

Popular meaning a lot of people like it. Five Night's at Freddy's is a popular game and franchise and even though I love it, it's REALLY not a good game. Popular doesn't mean good. Look at Twilight.

As for Detroit: Become Human, I've never played it but it seems interesting. Are androids romance interests in the game? I'm not too sure about the androids in this universe. 

In a general universe where AI suddenly advances to have sentience like R2D2 and C3PO, I think I'm for Proposition Infinity (Futurama reference). 

36 minutes ago, sithgirlix said:

As for Detroit: Become Human, I've never played it but it seems interesting. Are androids romance interests in the game? I'm not too sure about the androids in this universe. 

In a general universe where AI suddenly advances to have sentience like R2D2 and C3PO, I think I'm for Proposition Infinity (Futurama reference). 

There's no humanxandroid romance, but there were 2 androidxandroid romances. I only watched a Let's Play but the romance portions just fell flat.

If you want a game with well-written "weird romance" options, I'd recommend the Mass Effect trilogy.  You can romance a strangely attractive alien with a face like a velociraptor, among other potential choices.

I like Detroit: Become Human, but like @Feys&Florets said the androids quickly became very human, with free will. I think a typical android would be more of an advanced sex doll? I mean it falls to the issue of consent. Can they say no? Are they working for their own pleasure or for human pleasure? 

• 4 months later...
J. van Deijck

Anyone who watched Ex Machina, would probably notice that the creator of Ava (the android from the movie) talks about her being programmed to be heterosexual and actually being equipped to be able to have sex and to enjoy it. 🤷‍♀️ so I guess in books/movies/games etc. this subject is solely up to the creator's imagination. In reality, there are androids being produced for different purposes, including sex, but I don't think we have a 100% sentient android in the world yet; I believe Sophia is the closest to being sentient, but nobody has ever mentioned her sexuality or whatever (unless I'm missing something). There's a video of her somewhere where she talks about her wish to be able to make a family and have kids, but still I think we should take it all with a grain of salt.

If an android were sophisticated enough to have human intelligence and emotions, presumably it could also be programmed with sexual desires.

What is a good idea in the design of an android is a tricky question. An intelligence without any emotion might be a truly horrifying thing - as ex Machina hinted at

I mean ex machina as I understand is a good movie about ai...but Detroit: become human...well I don't know what there is to say about ai and sexuality in a game that had straight nothing to say in terms of artificial intelligence, even though that is what it claimed to be about

Archived