Could you see yourself becoming a parent?

QueerAroAce

DarkStormyKnight

Definitely am not doing the pregnancy thing or the single parent thing, I would only have kids if it was important to my partner or something like that. And I think a lot about how it'd probably be adoption for sure.

I think its normal to not want to have kids but it would be cool to have a son.

Abso-freaking-lutely not.

Wouldn't even want the responsibility of taking care of a pet, either - while I absolutely adore cats, I'm certain they're better of with a two-legged food slave who isn't me... so I just wave hi to them when I pass them on the street. 😺

It is so odd. I am in grade 9 but when I imagine my future adult self, (This was even before I found out I was asexual) I can see myself raising a child who is mine but I am single. I never really thought out the logistics of how this would work. Basically I want to have a child but without ever having sex. I would definitely consider adopting since sex and being pregnant are equally unappealing to me.

Nope to kids. I told my husband right when we started dating that I wasn't interested in having any kids, and he said he felt the same way. 5 years later, and we're still on the same page with that. So much so that he got a vasectomy. It's way cheaper and less invasive than a tubal ligation; although, I'd still like one, once we have the funds.

We love our fur kids though. Right now, we have the perfect balance of 2 cats and a dog. Our home is peaceful, warm, and fuzzy, and we love it.

I've always wanted kids, and only in the short term was that up for debate. Still can't shake the feeling entirely, just adjust it to a "maybe in the future" kind of way. DEFINITELY furr-babies though. My bf has one already and mine belong to my parents, but I can't wait to stay in one place long enough to justify owning a pet (not having one around for the past year I've been in Japan has been KILLER!).

Me and my bf are seriously considering adoption though. He joked once about them being "used children" as well as "used dogs" because both of us agree it's sad to see how many kids (and dogs and other animals) don't get adopted after they reach a certain age. And that's terrible! Adopting would spare me the trouble of pushing 6 pounds of human through my vag and give a poor kid a good home. It would also let me skip the breast-feeding unpleasantness and just overall ickiness of kids younger than a year and a half. 

So many people are anti-abortion claiming "there's always adoption!" but how many of them actually adopt? We want to help people (and dogs) by giving a good home to those who don't have one. 

I think a lot of people who throw out the whole "you could always adopt" thing don't realize that

1) Most people that want kids probably have considered it already without their prompting (especially if they're female and would have to be the ones bearing the pregnancy; it isn't exactly a process to take lightly), so it just comes off as patronizing to begin with

2) No, you can't just "always" adopt.  It isn't always that easy depending on where you are and what your status is.  Single people, particularly males, are already at a disadvantage here.  With (supposedly) how many "unclaimed" kids we have out there now you'd think the process would be, idk, streamlined a bit more, but it's still enough of a nightmare in enough regions that it's honestly no wonder that a lot of people might prefer to just make their own kid rather than have to put up with the adoption process.

The thought is like vaguely appealing but I dont think I ever would. I have younger siblings so I know how challenging it can be to raise a kid and that's just a really daunting thought to me. I love kids but I think being a teacher is enough for me XD. UNLESS of course I fall in love with someone and they want kids, then I'd consider more I suppose

Not really, though I could perhaps see myself adopting / being a foster parent for an older child/teen

Squirrel Combat

I would like to be a parent. Raise the kids in a campervan life and home school them.

Sometime in the future yes. I'd like to have my own adopted mini pringles and though I would prefer to stay a single pringle lady, i'm open to having a partner if I deem them worthy. No biological children though - the ideas of sex, pregnancy and childbirth put me off. Having a good job, house, common sense etc. would be a must, otherwise it'd just be unfair to the mini pringles. 

I see myself being too permissive as a parent and letting my kid(s) do pretty much whatever they want, because things were so insanely strict for me growing up. But I've never had any interest in having kids. It's not that I hate all of them or anything; I've met some really sweet kids. I'm just struggling enough as it is to take care of myself and I don't see any benefit in me having a child as far as personal growth goes. My sister is going to have a daughter and although I didn't know how I felt about that at first, now I'm looking forward to being an aunt and being there for my niece.

Absolutely no on kids. Just... no. On every level, in the strongest way possible. No way.

Pets are another matter. We have three cats right now, and while I'm not sure that I'd go out and get a pet if I were living on my own, I'm certainly happy to help take care of them - and I really love cats, so I'd consider having one even if I did live alone. I'm just a little iffy on having the sole responsibility for caring for another living creature. Other pets, no (dogs are right out because I'm terrified of them, and most other pets are either really finicky to care for or don't live very long).

When I’m normally asked this question in irl my typical response is something I’m probably not allowed to say here,

but it involves my head and I microwave 

I can see myself being an aunt, but not a parent.

End of the day, kid's going back where they came from. 😁

No kids for me, never had the parental gene. I'd probably be a pretty crummy aunt as well, but I make an okay friendly neighbor.

I have a cat that a spoil horribly - he's a rescue, so he deserves it.

Hermit Advocate

Pets all the way. At least they're actually cute. 

I knew I was childfree before I knew I was ace.  I don't like human children.

I feel the way about dogs some people feel about children:  I like other people's dogs, but I would never have my own. 

I have four cats I refer to as my kids, though. 

I'm great with kids. Would like to have a few, a cat, a dog. Just general big warm family vibes. Not sure if I could handle a pregnancy though. No biggie if I don't have any kiddos. I'll just be an overbearing Aunt

AceMissBehaving

Nope, and I’m finally old enough that people have stopped asking me to.

nutterwithasolderingiron

so i'm in an odd position in that there is technically a baby nutter running around. kinda. 

so a few years ago, i was a doner for a lesbian couple i know. they seem like they'll be better parents than mine were (god, that's a low bar) but i'm happy with not being a "parent" mainly because i tend to only be able to stand kids in small doeses. recently i was hanging out with a friend (who's pregnant) and her sister with their 3 kids. it was fun but god damn, did i feel old after. also why are children usually sticky? 

i think i'll stick with my cats. 

I would love to have children of my own. Just wish that getting prrgnant was easy! I will be 35 next year and have been trying the past 6 months. 

I don't think I would like to adopt. Also I don't want pets as I have allergies.

So it would have to be kids of my own or none at all. 

No. And just another reason that fits in part of my traits as a person (asexual, introvert, etc.).

Regarding animals, I like animals, but it wouldn't be any easier for many reasons (and actually, if something goes wrong, it would be just as hard as a child). I would say I am not best at taking care of myself anyway! (I do, but maybe a little less efficiently than others! :D).

HELL. FUCKING. NO.

Reason #1: If my kids were smart, I'd be that horrible dad all the other parents would want to lynch. I'd give my kids the cool, dangerous toys I was never allowed to have, like BB guns and go-karts. I'd let my son play with dolls and let my daughter play with toy cars. In addition to the three R's, I'd teach my kids chemistry, electronics, and mechanics, making each kid a force to be reckoned with.

Reason #2: If I had a kid that was dim-witted, I'd probably have to give him/her up for adoption, because I'd never be able to handle a kid who risks getting hurt or killed by doing dumb, dangerous things. I'm not ashamed to admit I'm NOT one of those people who thinks willful ignorance is cool and intellectual deficits are cute.

My acer is the best mom anyone could wish for, for our kids. It has always been a dream for her to have them, and now she does. Baked them herself. 

Archived