Demi orientations

Tannin

On 9/6/2019 at 11:52 AM, CBC said:

It's uncool to not be queer now, so people have to make up nonsensical words to make their very common patterns of social behaviour sound exceptional. 

I'm very sorry for all the narrow minded people in this world! They have to criticize everything they don't relate to or understand! Welcome to the age of bigotry in the lgbt+ community!

6 hours ago, Tannin said:

Thanks for the idea. But those terms are used for gender.

Really? I thought you could use them regardless. Like some people say they're aceflux, so I think it could work. But yeah, totally up to you.

31 minutes ago, kelico said:

Really? I thought you could use them regardless. Like some people say they're aceflux, so I think it could work. But yeah, totally up to you.

Yeah. I mean I wondered if someone could be fluid in the demi spectrum. But there isn't a term that I know of.

Can everyone please quit the snark, it is not advancing the debate. Skycaptain moderator TGA 

On 9/6/2019 at 10:52 AM, CBC said:

It's uncool to not be queer now, so people have to make up nonsensical words to make their very common patterns of social behaviour sound exceptional. 

No.  I don't remember where you live, but where I am, it is nowhere near cool.  People don't want to come out because their families and churches will disown them.  If you're out at work, you risk someone making it hell for you, and there's no guarantee HR will help you out at all.  You might just get fired.  People still get killed for being openly queer.  I don't know how I missed this at first, but it was a crappy thing to post.  Crappy enough that I'm saying so.

People try to find words to describe what they're feeling when it doesn't seem that there are existing ones.  Just because you already have a way to describe your own identity doesn't mean you should condescend to those who aren't so sure.

1 hour ago, bare_trees said:

No.  I don't remember where you live, but where I am, it is nowhere near cool.  People don't want to come out because their families and churches will disown them.  If you're out at work, you risk someone making it hell for you, and there's no guarantee HR will help you out at all.  You might just get fired.  People still get killed for being openly queer.  I don't know how I missed this at first, but it was a crappy thing to post.  Crappy enough that I'm saying so.

There is still a lot of bigotry against minority sexual orientations, you're quite right. I personally worry that some (I stress some) of the words and definitions, and the claims of discrimination that go with the territory cheapen the very real bigotry that still goes on in much of the world. 

People try to find words to describe what they're feeling when it doesn't seem that there are existing ones.  Just because you already have a way to describe your own identity doesn't mean you should condescend to those who aren't so sure.

Exploring one's identity is very important, but for words to be useful they need to follow conventions and have clear denotations. A lot of the newer terms coined in the LGBT+ space in recent years are very hard to get to grips with, and that's coming at it from a relatively sympathetic point of view. I've asked 1000 times what "queerplatonic" means, for example, and received inconsistent answers. 

1 hour ago, CBC said:

It's "cool" in some people's minds to be mentally ill as well, and that's fucking stupid.

There's a weird trend of self-diagnosed mental illness being waved around. One sometimes wonders perusing the internet who doesn't have anxiety or depression.

• 4 months later...
On 9/6/2019 at 9:58 PM, Coddiwomple said:

Actually, demifluid is a gender, so that wouldn't work.

I don't understand the attack on specific labels in this thread. Just because you don't understand or relate to a label someone uses doesn't mean it's invalid. People are allowed to label themselves as specifically as they want.

This place should be like sanctuary. No attacks. No judgement's.  I don't know what anyone else has experienced but the rest of the world has plenty of cruel judgement's and unfair bias. I like to think of this forum as an opportunity to support, learn, share and explore new thoughts and ideas. It is sensible to express a different opinion of course. Wouldn't it be lovely if that could be expressed with compassion and empathy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 12:30 PM, CBC said:

Why is this thread active again? I'm confused.

It's active again because I still come to this thread to laugh my ass off. Mostly at myself.

• 2 weeks later...
Snickersnee123
On 9/1/2019 at 12:20 AM, KrysLost said:

*coughs awkwardly*

Wow Big Mood!

Locking as the discussion topic has been lost in time, Skycaptain moderator TGA 

Archived