PEOPLE WITH BLACK RINGS

hi!! if you have an ace ring, has anyone ever asked you about the meaning or knew it was the ace symbol? pls let me know! i’m planning on buying one 🙂

• Like 2
letusdeleteouraccounts

I’ve been asked about it like once every few months and I freak out every time giving them some bull response. Nobody ever knows it’s an ace symbol though, not even my queer friends

• Like 4
Comrade Kitty

Some kids at school asked me about mine, they had no idea what it meant. But I was glad to explain.  Never had anyone else ask, but I mean I have only had it for like 2 months. 

• Like 3

I've never been asked about my ring.

• Like 1

I just started wearing mine a week or so ago and haven't gotten any questions about it yet. I expect someone to question eventually since i never wore rings before this one

No one has really asked yet. One family member just commented that they liked it and where I got it from, but nothing else.

• Like 1

I’ll assume this is common knowledge, but in case it’s not

http://myblackring.com/ FAQ

Q: Why We Wear A Black Ring On Our Right Hand?

A: In an effort to help us all discretely identify others in the swinging lifestyle, we suggest wearing a black ring on the right hand whenever you’re open to meeting others in the lifestyle. 

Q: Does It Matter What Finger I Wear My Black Ring?

A: Wear your black ring on any finger but the middle one. The ring finger is the natural place for the black ring, but thumb rings are cool too. A black ring worn on the middle finger of the right hand is an infrequently used symbol of asexuality. Please avoid wearing your ring on this finger as a courtesy to that community.

• Like 4

I've worn one every day for about a year now. In that time, I've only been asked about it twice. As far as I'm aware, no one has ever known its symbolism.

• Like 1

I've had mine for about a week now so I've only had one question when I misplaced it. They asked, "Is it special?" and I was in a panic since I had only had it for 2 days only for me to lose it. I just said that I didn't want to lose 2 things in the span of 4 days but I did eventually find it. 

I’m not a fan of jewellery so went for an ace wristband instead of a ring. I’ve worn it for around 3 months and been asked about it twice + someone who started to ask but then changed their mind and walked off awkwardly 🤣

• Like 1

I wear it occasionally because I made it myself and the paint is coming off, so I'm trying to repair it for now. But nobody's asked about it yet! Not surprising considering nobody's heard of asexuality over here.

NickyTannock

I haven't had anyone ask me about mine yet, but I haven't been wearing it long.

• Like 1

I've been wearing mine for about 8 months now and it usually goes unnoticed, probably because it's so thin and plain (I don't like flashy jewelry). My mom noticed it and commented that it was cute, that's all. 

• Like 2

Haven't had one notice, which I don't know is bad or good. I'd love to meet an ace in the wild, but I'd hate to have to explain it all. No one I know has asked about it, though, which is kinda weird, since I have never worn much jewelry.

Yes, I have!

I've worn one for 3-4 ish years, and once, a friend, who'd seen me wear it for years, suddenly noticed it.

She asked me "Is that ring special?"

And I said dryly: "Yup, super special." 

We were in my uni's cafeteria at that time, and another friend was close behind, and her question was vague enough that I didn't know if she knew, so I guess I kind of deflected. 

She continued: "Yeah, but I mean like, does it have a meaning...?"

I was dumbfounded, and still didn't really know if she knew, so I stopped dead in my tracks and looked at her with what I thought was a puzzled expression, trying to figure her out, but I don't know what it looked like to her, because she started backtracking, throwing up her hands in defense and stammering:

"I mean... I didn't mean... never mind.... you don't have to.."

At this point I was fairly certain she knew, so I just went "Yes. And in fact the t-shirt I'm wearing right now is the flag (coincidence, I only have one t-shirt like that and don't wear it often)."

After that, a pleasant convo about asexuality followed. Turned out she'd just read an article about it the other day, and that's why she recognized it. She still didn't really get how I could be pan and ace at the same time, but she was really nice and interested. 

One other time, I spotted someone with an ace flag button on their backpack in class. They happened to sit next to me one day.

I said "I like your flag."

And they went "Oh really? It's uhmmm..." and started fumbling with their bag.

I flashed my ring at them to defuse the awkward (because you don't really want to talk about your orientation to a rando sitting next to you in class probably). 

And they went "Oh Em Gee can I get a high five for that?!"

I am really glad I met this person, they are awesome :)  I don't think we would've been friends now if they hadn't had a bunch of queer flags on their backpack. It was a good conversation starter.

So basically, if you want an ace ring, get it. I've never had negative reactions. The only people who will know what it means are the kind of people you can trust with the information.

• Like 2

After wearing mine for like a week along with 2 other aces at my school. People started putting two and two together. (Mainly because one of those people is very extroverted and basically showed everyone.) People started guessing and googling what it meant. And this one person was googling for hours and got 'book cult' eventually things came out. And like several more people knew about it but unlike the people I told directly the other people don't really know the full extent of things. I'm not sure if anything previously mentioned is a good thing. But after that no one asked

Edit: I stopped wearing it because I made it poorly and it is in pieces.

Edited by Aeylia

If anyone has noticed my ring, they haven't said anything, not even the two ace people I actually know in real life. One of their spouses love my chainmail bracelet in the flag colors, though, and comments every time they see it.

• 2 weeks later...

My mum was curious where I got it from, but didn't really say anything. And this dude at school though I joined a cult because two other people were wearing the ring. 

On 9/1/2019 at 6:24 PM, Aeylia said:

After wearing mine for like a week along with 2 other aces at my school. People started putting two and two together. (Mainly because one of those people is very extroverted and basically showed everyone.) People started guessing and googling what it meant. And this one person was googling for hours and got 'book cult' eventually things came out. And like several more people knew about it but unlike the people I told directly the other people don't really know the full extent of things. I'm not sure if anything previously mentioned is a good thing. But after that no one asked

Edit: I stopped wearing it because I made it poorly and it is in pieces.

Aaand, you know the rest, lol.