Petition to stop Boris Johnson closing Parliament

Skycaptain

Anthracite_Impreza
12 hours ago, Diremastodon said:

For people who, like me, have no idea what this exactly entails, I found that this article explained it well: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48936711

Thanks for that, cos I've not even seen the news for weeks and had no idea what was going on.

Still don't know whether there's any point signing this like, they're only gonna do what they want. There's no such thing as an actual democracy any more, it's all showmanship masking manipulation and back-handers behind the scenes.

@Ortac, my post was a joke. Look up "Berk" in rhyming slang and you'll understand 

I'm still amazed that a single majority was enough to get the ball rolling. How does that not require ⅔ or some such?

Anthracite_Impreza
11 minutes ago, Homer van Simpsegem said:

I'm still amazed that a single majority was enough to get the ball rolling. How does that not require ⅔ or some such?

It was enough for Brexit, why not this? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And may I just add, though I voted in, I do feel there are valid reasons for voting out that aren't just about the accusations of racism and bigotry. That played a massive role sadly, as I have seen in my own family and area, but I do feel Brexiteers are sometimes unfairly shat on (I've done it myself, I've since mellowed). Of course Remainers are accused of unfair shit too, so. It's been one sorry mess since the beginning and this is just one more nail in the coffin for a sensible outcome.

On 8/28/2019 at 3:02 PM, Homer van Simpsegem said:

Is that the UK version of the Enabling Act that sent Germany down in the 30s?

Yes and no there are differences in my opinion the similarities are that both effectively silence the respective assemblies. 

Both needed permission to do this from a figure head. In Hitler's case President Paul von Hindenburg in Johnson's case, the Queen. 

Both were legal (sort of). Johnson did get permission and has not broken any laws and the Act did pass through the Reichstag. 

The differences are many bust most notably:

Hitler passed the Enabling Act in the Reichstag. Yes, the KPD deputies were already banned and the SA made threats but Hitler also promised concessions to the Zentrum party and it passed 444 to 94 with only the SPD voting against.

Johnson's prorogation is a limited thing, when its done he has to allow Parliament to sit. That meeting in the Opera House was the last meeting of the Reichstag (now called the Bundestag).  

The Enabling Act (along with Hindenburg's death) effectively brought an end to the Weimar Republic. It was not exactly the end but it was the begging the end at the very least. I do not think this is the end of British democracy, 

• 2 weeks later...

I now don't do politics and see no point in voting or petitioning because the British government will do what pleases Trump. Yes, that laughable, cringeworthy, one-sided "special relationship"!

It's like a guy I used to know who had several girls on the go, each girl thought she was "special" yet he used each girl for his own purposes and chucked them away as and when he felt like it.

It's a huge headache, Brexit is. 

On 8/29/2019 at 5:47 AM, timewarp said:

No. It's a banana kingdom.

In the US we live in a banana dictatorship.

Archived