I am tired of ignorance of Religious/conservative people

Mira Mira

50 minutes ago, Nylocke said:

And my experience highly emphasizes purity. My parents would literally shame me over the idea of me being sexuality active in any way shape or form outside of marriage. They have shamed me for other things that they perceive as leading up to such things such as "letting your boyfriend carry you" and I've been shamed for that 2 whole years after the fact.

That's excessive even for being judgmental hypocrites. They should read what the Bible says for a change, because that is not how you are supposed to treat people, least of all your own kid! 

On 9/15/2019 at 7:06 AM, neverlove said:

That's excessive even for being judgmental hypocrites. They should read what the Bible says for a change, because that is not how you are supposed to treat people, least of all your own kid! 

Yea ... I got stories for days xD One time my dad told me that mom and him wasted their time raising me because of the fact that my at the time boyfriend wasn't registered to vote(we broke up a month ago) and I thought that they were gonna say because he wasn't a christian that I failed on or something like that.

26 minutes ago, Nylocke said:

Yea ... I got stories for days xD One time my dad told me that mom and him wasted their time raising me because of the fact that my at the time boyfriend wasn't registered to vote(we broke up a month ago) and I thought that they were gonna say because he wasn't a christian that I failed on or something like that.

...would it offend you if I said your parents are horrible, abusive people? 

On 9/16/2019 at 8:31 AM, neverlove said:

...would it offend you if I said your parents are horrible, abusive people? 

No worries, a lot of people say that xD They don't see it more so then likely but if I just started talking to the right people in my life they can really end up looking bad. I don't have many in my life that my folks would take any kind of seriously so that probably won't happen. I think even church would more then likely agree with their methods since that's where most of their methods come from ... xD

12 minutes ago, Nylocke said:

No worries, a lot of people say that xD They don't see it more so then likely but if I just started talking to the right people in my life they can really end up looking bad. I don't have many in my life that my folks would take any kind of seriously so that probably won't happen. I think even church would more then likely agree with their methods since that's where most of their methods come from ... xD

It's not what Jesus said though. That wasn't his way. For all that people are like that, there isn't anything Christian about those actions. I'd be happy to talk more, but I think maybe pm would be better. I sort of feel like we're hijacking this thread...

On 9/17/2019 at 7:47 AM, neverlove said:

It's not what Jesus said though. That wasn't his way. For all that people are like that, there isn't anything Christian about those actions. I'd be happy to talk more, but I think maybe pm would be better. I sort of feel like we're hijacking this thread...

I don't  feel its hijacking only because much of it is fairly relevant to the conversation since we're talking about how close minded and ignorant that religious people can be. I am just giving an example from my life and my personal experiences.

Most of my experience with christians has been fairly close minded, ignorant and negative.

9 hours ago, Nylocke said:

I don't  feel its hijacking only because much of it is fairly relevant to the conversation since we're talking about how close minded and ignorant that religious people can be. I am just giving an example from my life and my personal experiences.

Most of my experience with christians has been fairly close minded, ignorant and negative.

A lot of people say that, but estimates are that 30% of the world identifies as Christian and around 70% in the USA , a little less than that in Canada, and about 60% in the UK. Most of the English speaking world is Christian. A lot of people are ignorant and close minded, but I don’t think non-christian, or even non-religious people hold the majority of the reasonable population. Chances are you’ve had a lot of interaction with Christian, positive and negative, you just didn’t know they were Christians at the time.

It’s not really a fair generalization about any large religious organization, and it makes me really sad when I try so hard to be kind and listen to people, even when I don’t agree. It’s really hard to be nice when people attack my faith, but I try, and still hear about how close minded christians are. It sucks!

I used to explain to people why I’m an atheist and a borderline anti-theist, but now I don’t cause it’s a hassle (my words likely won’t change a deeply entrenched belief that’s probably been instilled since childhood) and it’d get me in trouble since it’s so heavily protected nowadays (well, it’s always been protected). It’s hard because I identify as someone who leans somewhat conservative but heavily dislikes the emphasis that many conservatives in the US place on faith. It’s bothers me that some (not all) religious people dismiss stuff like different sexualities just cause they’ve been told it’s bad. I sometimes wish I could live and let live, but the way I think is severely at odds with the idea of religion itself.

1 hour ago, Laplace said:

I used to explain to people why I’m an atheist and a borderline anti-theist, but now I don’t cause it’s a hassle (my words likely won’t change a deeply entrenched belief that’s probably been instilled since childhood) and it’d get me in trouble since it’s so heavily protected nowadays (well, it’s always been protected). It’s hard because I identify as someone who leans somewhat conservative but heavily dislikes the emphasis that many conservatives in the US place on faith. It’s bothers me that some (not all) religious people dismiss stuff like different sexualities just cause they’ve been told it’s bad. I sometimes wish I could live and let live, but the way I think is severely at odds with the idea of religion itself.

You have to explain why you’re an atheist? I thought it was pretty self-explanatory. 

10 minutes ago, neverlove said:

You have to explain why you’re an atheist? I thought it was pretty self-explanatory. 

People who were religious when I was growing up would question me and stuff cause I grew up in a fairly religious town. It was considered somewhat odd to not be affiliated with a faith of some sort.

On 9/22/2019 at 3:47 PM, neverlove said:

A lot of people say that, but estimates are that 30% of the world identifies as Christian and around 70% in the USA , a little less than that in Canada, and about 60% in the UK. Most of the English speaking world is Christian. A lot of people are ignorant and close minded, but I don’t think non-christian, or even non-religious people hold the majority of the reasonable population. Chances are you’ve had a lot of interaction with Christian, positive and negative, you just didn’t know they were Christians at the time.

It’s not really a fair generalization about any large religious organization, and it makes me really sad when I try so hard to be kind and listen to people, even when I don’t agree. It’s really hard to be nice when people attack my faith, but I try, and still hear about how close minded christians are. It sucks!

Well I don't think that just because someone is christian, it automatically makes them close minded. That means I would be downing on myself and it took me a long time to unlearn all those close minded tendencies growing up in the environment I grew up in. My ex is an atheist and he hates transfolk with all his hate because his cousin who is a lesbian was almost sexually assaulted by a "trans person" and because of that he will never trust them. To me, that is close minded because you're judging a whole group of people based off of a single person.

My experience hasn't been so good but I know that not all Christians have a stick up there behinds. There are some chill people out there somewhere xD

15 hours ago, Laplace said:

People who were religious when I was growing up would question me and stuff cause I grew up in a fairly religious town. It was considered somewhat odd to not be affiliated with a faith of some sort.

Huh. I spend a lot of time defending my beliefs and explaining misunderstood doctrine. I live in a blue state, so maybe that’s why I’ve had the opposite experience? I don’t meet a lot of devout people, just pseudo/cultural Christians. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2019 at 7:22 AM, neverlove said:

Huh. I spend a lot of time defending my beliefs and explaining misunderstood doctrine. I live in a blue state, so maybe that’s why I’ve had the opposite experience? I don’t meet a lot of devout people, just pseudo/cultural Christians. 

Even in a blue state you do have some hardcore. I am originally from NY and the church I grew up in literally had folks who's kids were home schooled and almost always went to christian schools including the pastors children who were in special christian schools. That church was so overkill that when I got into anime my mom was pressured by the church to get me out of it so then I got my behind jumped in from my mom about anime while she get jumped on because I liked anime.

I was in one church later on after we left that church where one of the "elders" gave a sermon about how if you didn't pray in tongues then your prayers weren't making it to God ... Of we left that church for another dead church that was far away from where we lived and because of that we weren't involved so no one knew us even after 5 years of going. Which to me basically puts church on the same lvl as going to school to me because its just like how you have to join extra curricular stuff at school. They want you to do the same thing in church which is the only chance you have at going so you really can't "go casually" on Sundays because they want you all up in there for stuff which to me always felt like a choir going outside of Sunday honestly.

4 hours ago, Nylocke said:

Even in a blue state you do have some hardcore. I am originally from NY and the church I grew up in literally had folks who's kids were home schooled and almost always went to christian schools including the pastors children who were in special christian schools. That church was so overkill that when I got into anime my mom was pressured by the church to get me out of it so then I got my behind jumped in from my mom about anime while she get jumped on because I liked anime.

I was in one church later on after we left that church where one of the "elders" gave a sermon about how if you didn't pray in tongues then your prayers weren't making it to God ... Of we left that church for another dead church that was far away from where we lived and because of that we weren't involved so no one knew us even after 5 years of going. Which to me basically puts church on the same lvl as going to school to me because its just like how you have to join extra curricular stuff at school. They want you to do the same thing in church which is the only chance you have at going so you really can't "go casually" on Sundays because they want you all up in there for stuff which to me always felt like a choir going outside of Sunday honestly.

I went to private Christian schools. Christian schools and church are meccas for cultural Christians. There are usually some people who are devout and love God, but I meet a lot of people in those places who feel like if you follow the ten commandments and put your bum in a pew every Sunday then you’re set.

I do not regret my Christian schooling though. My Bible teacher would always play devil’s advocate, and he never told us what to think or believe. He would give us the history, the verse, the literal interpretation, a few different possibilities—but ultimately he asked us what we thought and we’d spend the class discussing it with each other. He would take the verses we generally avoid—like the prohibition against remarriage—and put us on the spot. He did not give us the answer, he’d flat out say he didn’t have it, in fact. Being in his class was far more powerful than any sermon for me. As far as Church, I prefer Emily Dickinson’s method—

I keep the Sabbath staying at home. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 1:04 PM, neverlove said:

I went to private Christian schools. Christian schools and church are meccas for cultural Christians. There are usually some people who are devout and love God, but I meet a lot of people in those places who feel like if you follow the ten commandments and put your bum in a pew every Sunday then you’re set.

I do not regret my Christian schooling though. My Bible teacher would always play devil’s advocate, and he never told us what to think or believe. He would give us the history, the verse, the literal interpretation, a few different possibilities—but ultimately he asked us what we thought and we’d spend the class discussing it with each other. He would take the verses we generally avoid—like the prohibition against remarriage—and put us on the spot. He did not give us the answer, he’d flat out say he didn’t have it, in fact. Being in his class was far more powerful than any sermon for me. As far as Church, I prefer Emily Dickinson’s method—

I keep the Sabbath staying at home. 

Heh I never heard of the Emily Dickinson way. I do know that many christians take going to church pretty seriously though.

I‘m growing into a somewhat similar experience.

I’m a Catholic from a Catholic family. My mom taught me that I can’t get married unless I wanna have kids. Thing is, I don’t like kids, but I still would like a partner. However, children just aren’t for me and I don’t want any. Or at least, none of my own. Sex is disgusting and I never wanna do it with a man. That would be the most vulgar, nasty crap imaginable to me. If I ever do want kids, I’d just adopt so I don’t have to do the devil’s tango and so I don’t have to suffer through 9 months of pregnancy and the pain of childbirth.

So that’s what I’m like, but my mom keeps talking to me like “oh when you have kids...” and I’m sittin here thinking, I’ve been over this with you mom. I’m not gonna have kids.

Idk. It’s just really annoying to get this pressure from her, especially when I’ve told her about my asexuality. She was in denial about it, but it’s not changing anytime soon.

Archived