??? Am I just too young?

Someone112233

Someone112233

Uh having a lot of fun here trying to work out what I am lol. I am 15 and have never had any sexual feelings at all. Never had any interest in sex or masterbation. I thought I would start feeling attraction for boys later but it hasn’t happened yet. I’m in year 10 now and and everyone else seems to have figured themselves out, but I haven’t. I have had romantic interest in boys, and a girl, but I was told by my mother that it was normal to be repulsed by *that* kind of thing and that I wouldn’t be into it unless I really loved the person and tried it. Trying to work out weather I just need to wait for hormones to kick in or nah. Any advice?

• Like 1

Unfortunately that's the sort of question that's impossible to really answer short of waiting it out. But theres nothing wrong with identifying as ace if it's how you feel right now.

• Like 4
rainbowsprinklez 🐙💜🍬

Hi and welcome! 🎂🧁

I'm in a bit of a similar sort of situation. But it is probably hard to say at that age but you and only you alone can say for sure what ur really feeling. I was told by a parent that it’s normal to be grossed out by such thoughts too, and how that will change, and I’m 19 now. But sometimes when you tell a parent something they may perceive the degree of your experience different from what your trying to say and offer the wrong advice. Your still young and regardless of wether ur friends seem to have everything figured out doesn’t mean you have to rn. Take your time and decide for yourself where you fall. If you feel asexuality is the place you fall then good. If it’s not then also good. ♥️💜🎂

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Someone112233 said:

Uh having a lot of fun here trying to work out what I am lol. I am 15 and have never had any sexual feelings at all. Never had any interest in sex or masterbation. I thought I would start feeling attraction for boys later but it hasn’t happened yet. I’m in year 10 now and and everyone else seems to have figured themselves out, but I haven’t. I have had romantic interest in boys, and a girl, but I was told by my mother that it was normal to be repulsed by *that* kind of thing and that I wouldn’t be into it unless I really loved the person and tried it. Trying to work out weather I just need to wait for hormones to kick in or nah. Any advice?

My social and sexual experience as a teen was non-existent. 

Do your research and go by how you feel. In some ways I'm envious of younger people wondering about how to identify. 

In the 70s I thought I was 'normal' as in a boy that liked girls. Looking back it was strictly aesthetic. I knew I wasn't homosexual in what little I knew of the subject (I thought it strictly meant men that loved other men. I didn't know it could apply to women as well).

• Like 2

You may be and you may not be. You are around the age when I first started hearing about asexuality. When I was in my 9th and 10th years of high school, I was singled out as the only person that didn’t do those things (I didn’t even know what masturbation was until I heard people talk about it in too much detail, still sounds disgusting to me this day). Is repulsion of some kind normal at that age? From what I could tell it wasn’t, the person at that time that was closest to being disgusted by that stuff to how I still am was only for religious reasons. I’m 17 now and started my senrior year 2 weeks ago and I still hear people tell me that I’ll grow out of it. Decide for yourself if calling yourself asexual fits you now, if it changes in the future and you decide that calling yourself asexual no longer fits you there isn’t anything wrong with that. Labels are meant to help people identify themselves with others more easily and see similarities and differences, they aren’t some be all end all being.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
Dead account 4444

I'm pretty much the same, I'm only 13 and I'm fairly sure I'm a hetero ace but I was gonna wait a few years just to be sure before I come out to anyone. 

Edited by a fancy fish

You are never too young to know how you feel *now* and never so old that your feelings can't change 

Some peoples sexuality changes very little after 15, but other people are still changing a lot. 

I never had any interest in romantic or sexual activity as a teen. I muddled my way thru life until I was 44 and found out about asexuality. I wish I had found out a lot sooner.

Unfortunately your mom is misinforming you and it is not helping.  Sometimes parents bring their own prejudices and /or cultural differences and/or religious indoctrination and/or reflex responses and definitely their lack of knowledge into the matter and tell their kids absurdities that  further confuses things.

Mom's advice:

but I was told by my mother that it was normal to be repulsed by *that* kind of thing and that I wouldn’t be into it unless I really loved the person and tried it.

Idk, I really don't think it usually is misinformation, though.  For the majority of cases like these (especially of children/teenagers), she's absolutely right.  It wouldn't apply to an actual asexual person, but actual asexual people are rare -- much rarer than the sexual people who just feel some degree of repulsion/anxiety about sex prior to being in the right moment.

I'm 21 and I'm questioning the same thing! Age 15 I hadn't even considered sexuality, but I don't think there's anything wrong with considering yourself on the ace spectrum if that's how you identify at that time

• Like 2

It's by far not unusual not to have felt like that at 15. Things could go either way - the world might seem completely different in a couple of months or heck, even weeks. All is well as long as you're happy with who you are and what you feel, no matter what it's called :) 

• Like 1
On 8/24/2019 at 12:17 PM, Someone112233 said:

I feel like it's hard to tell. I was grossed out by kissing until I dated this guy but then I wanted to kiss him. I'm guessing that's the way it works for some sexuals with sex. So you never know. Maybe the sexual feeling will come if you date a guy that you like (and maybe not).

You could also be a late bloomer. Most of my friends were constantly thinking about dating at 15. But some people start a bit later. I had a friend who had zero interest in dating and sex until she was a senior in high school. But then she started dating and showing some sexual interest.