Brainiac

What do you eat?

What do you eat? Vegetarian or not?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. What does your diet contain?

• I only eat Rabbit Food (Vegan)
    • Plants with a healthy dosage of milk (Vegetarian)
    • I have no problem eating animals (Non- Vegetarian)
    • Other (Please comment below)

Spookchi Boonut
2 hours ago, fooledbysecrecy said:

vegetarian. never really even liked meat.

Me neither! Hence why I was so young (9 or 10) when I became a vegetarian. My family wasn’t phased, said they had anticipated that but wanted it to be my decision. It just hadn’t occurred to me earlier that I could say no to meat.

Neutral Charge
3 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

No, we don't have to. Vegetarian diets are at the very least harmless, and there is a lot of research which shows that a well-balanced vegetarian diet is healthier, particularly than the diet of those who believe that "a dinner without meat is no dinner".

Do you know what you are made of? Do you know you are made of trillions of life forms that lived and live within you like the sheep on the fields,independent of you mind? Do you know plants are lifeforms? Do you know that trees feel states of loss and treath, and when you use ur wooden spoon is like using a leather jacket or eating meat.

Plants feels the basic things, same as unconciouss animals do and creatures with no brain do as well, just cause plants cant tell you or show you they are alive doesnt mean they arent.

If you wanna try to be kind and respectfull you should know everything thats alive and autonomic feels, survives by absorbing life to transfer energy and create more life, thus why the balance and respect is required for both.

Everything you can eat as a human has life in it cause you cant be a plant unfortunatly, and cant eat rubber.

Sorry if i sound mean but ppl should look more into why and how and what, things are not so romantic as we like to make ourself believe, we are not that different from plants or animals( which forms everything thats alive) and i feel we need to respect whole of life not pick and choose 

All life matters not just dogs sheeps and cows and so on and life extends to the tinny stuff that makes you think and feel

Edit: i do agree vegetarian  diet is healthy, i myself am not a huge fan of meat, i try to balance both for personal reasons,id eat photons if i could :)) i have nothing against what others choose to eat i just want ppl to respect other life as well and be aware of how we use 

• Like 1

Zagadka

Omnivore.

Though I have idealistic opposition to a lot of foods. I don't eat sea food, avoid pork, and make an effort to reduce other meat consumption because of the environmental destruction those all cause. Can't wait for more synthetic meat to be sold, especially chicken, because those farms are horrible places. But it isn't like vegetarian options are not environmentally harmful, too. We saw that a lot with the recent drought. Everyone loves nuts and avocados and junk, but those are horribly intensive to grow.

Plus, I don't have the willpower or energy to maintain a healthy vegetarian diet 😉

• Like 1

GhostGoesToWail

I'm a foodie. Eating is one of my joys in life. There's very little I won't eat. Off limits includes oranges and blue cheese, blech!

I spent my childhood having my diet policed by my mother because she was afraid I'd gain weight like she did when she was young (that, and she enjoys controlling people). I was sick to my stomach frequently, quite thin and tired all the time, and it made eating joyless and painful. I felt much better at my dad's, he'd cook meals with all the food groups. Now I eat what I want and I love it. I have a very high metabolism. If I skip meals, my body punishes me for it. I often get glares from other women who see me eating steak and potatoes, "man food" they'd call it. I still can't believe how gendered even eating is. Eat what makes your body feel good, and explore texture and flavor like it's a treasure cave is my philosophy. 

• Like 5

Weirdzy2

I should eat more greens than I do. . . I know. . . it's bad. . .

I'm a pasta-holic.

If you are what you eat, then I largely consist of noodles XD

• Like 3

Salmiakki

I always eat meat... I just can't feel truly full if I don't eat meat. 

• Like 2

Yeast

I grew up on a typical twentieth century American diet. Meat, grease and sugar. Fortunately I never grew fat on a typical American diet. As an adult, I dropped carbohydrates such as bread, potato chips and french fries from my diet. No more soft drinks, either. This left me with meat, grease and water. I gradually began a ketogenic diet, obtaining most of my energy from fats and proteins. High calorie food meant I only needed to eat one meal a day.  However if I required quick energy, sugar was a good source. Now as I'm growing older I find I need more fiber in my diet to keep my bowls running smoothly. I start with raman noodle soup, add mushrooms, celery, carrots and peppers. An added bonus to my gut flora is the probiotic stuff I drink. I mix some preserves with the vanilla kind. Some call this a "smoothie" but I call what I make "goop". Goop is good.

• Like 1

Fioryn

My diet lately consists mainly of olive oil, lots of veggies, spices, salsa, corn tortillas, some meat, some cheese, occasionally cheese-free pizza, and dairy-free coffee creamer. I absolutely love vegetables and try to find new veggies to cook with every time I go to the store.

I went plant-based for a while (aka vegan, but I don't really like the term "vegan", because "vegan" is more of a lifestyle and all I was doing was eating entirely plant-based meals). I liked it, and I'd like to go back to it. I switched off of it because it was hard to get enough protein without either breaking the bank or eating too many carbs. I think that now that I've made more plant-based meals, though, I could easily switch to an entirely plant-based diet again.

• Like 2

Aebt-Ætheling

Complete Omnivore. I am a fairly-picky eater and do not eat a lot of meat anyways but when I do it can be sublime. I always get meat from local producers though and the thought of eating meat out-to-eat is pretty gross.

I would be fine giving up meat, but I do enjoy it. Vegan arguments do not really persuade me and anyways I love cheese too much to probably be vegan. Although for my own sake it is probably good I am not vegetarian or vegan, I do not like the alternative ways to get the essential nutrition you get from meat. I really cannot stand tofu or beans as ways for getting proteins, etc.

• Like 1

Evren

I eat most anything, however I am starting to try cutting out dairy and most sugars. Dairy because im slowly becoming lactose intolerant (started with ice cream, now with cake and cookies, and anything with lots of cream. It seems to be progressive) Almond milk is the boss. However if anyone can tell me how to make milk free biscuit gravy I will forever be in their debt. Sugar because I need to lose a hundred and fifty pounds to be a healthy weight.

I mostly eat turkey, chicken, and fish for the meats. I only have beef when I'm out and pork for breakfast sometimes. I do have vegetarian and vegan nights, once or twice a week and I would honestly be fine without meat at all except for bacon. I love bacon and sausage. but for dinner or lunch I would be fine without it. But I cook for two people and my mom wants some meat. If I ever move out on my own I'll probably become entirely vegetarian.  

Oh and I only drink water and the occasional fruit juice. Caffeine makes me really sick. so no pop except for Root Beer, and no coffee, or caffeinated teas.

• Like 1

LonesomeCrow

I have two kitchen jobs so I mostly eat whatever we're serving at work, as long as it's not seafood. I eat far too many carbs though, I admit. 

• Like 1

Brainiac
8 hours ago, MaggieB said:

I eat almost everything. Vegetables,fruits, peanuts and meat except pork and seafood (because of religious beliefs) and grom meat mostly poultry.

I can't.

Seriously. What I eat has to be good-looking and smell nice. If it's not, let's just say it's out of my plate.

Brainiac
8 hours ago, Homer van Simpsegem said:

I'm on a seafood diet. See food and eat it.

Never had sea food my entire life. Not sure I even want to try.

Brainiac
7 hours ago, FindingTheta said:

I tried Oatley, and it was divine!

7 hours ago, Dreamer23 said:

Vegetarian - and not picky at that. As long as there's no animal in it, I'm gonna eat it! :)

(That being said, no "healthy dosage of milk" as per the poll, given how almond and cashew milks are clearly superior to animal ones. ;) Occasionally some dairy products though, so definitely not vegan)

Oh, and no I certainly don't care what others eat. Wolf down as much meat as y'all like! :)

While it's far more prevalent in media than in reality, that high and mighty "I don't eat X so no one else should eat it" has always seemed silly to me.

I did not even know that fact. Wow

Brainiac
8 hours ago, GlamRocker said:

vegetables taste sweet to me now

Never thought l'd ever hear this

• Like 1

iff

I eat meat, fish, vegetables, fruits

yyy

I have learned that people have different metabolisms. There is lots of one-size-fits-all advice out there about the necessity of breakfast, the necessity of  all the food groups with protein being paramount,  The necessity to eat three meals a day, the necessity of drinking  at least six 8-ounce glasses of water a day  etc etc.

Maybe the majority of people have to follow such a regimen of eating and diet. But if some study or poll were taken it would probably be surprising to certain people how many people are healthy without always eating breakfast or with skipping meals regularly or  by  fasting an entire day frequently etc etc. 

I myself prefer vegetables and would mostly eat salads if it were completely up to me.   I consider myself a vegan as far as what I would choose for myself.  However, I often get food from a food pantry ( to save money and of course I don't make a lot of money  at my job) and I am often given things like fish and meat and eggs etc.  And I do like the taste of meat and eggs and dairy, but  I would choose not to eat  meat, eggs and fish and dairy  because  of the cruelty-to-animals factor  but when it comes to that, my back us up against a wall and  the world operates on a momentum  that is hard to just disconnect yourself from entirely . When I was in the military it was very hard to  just eat vegetables. 

Also   my friend who stays with me sometimes  says that  she does not consider herself vegetarian or vegan but   anyway she mostly dislikes to eat meat and fish  and  prefers vegetables overall but likes cheese and eggs and milk  sometimes too. 

She says she is an "Aging hippie"  and when she was younger she had a back yard where she grew dandelion greens and  she says it is her favorite food in the whole world and if it were up to her she would eat dandelion greens for breakfast lunch and dinner because she finds them so satisfying and delicious. She says that however, she cannot find dandelion greens  at any health food store or market like the ones she used to grow in her back yard  and the main reason is that since dandelion greens are very bitter  the commercially-grown dandelion greens have been bred to have less bitterness  since most people don't  like the intense bitter taste but my friend says that  she loved the bitter taste and that the dandelions she gets at stores  just are  mostly not worth buying , though sometimes she will buy them just because  sometimes they are the closest  she can come to what she used grow herself. 

But my friend is good at cooking  and  when she is staying with me and we get food from the food pantry  she cooks the meat and fish and she does it well  ( usually). She has in laws who live in Africa  and this goes into another issue but  my friend ( right now I will refer to her as "J")   says that some  of her in-laws laugh  when they hear about  efforts  to help  people starving in Ethiopia or other parts of Africa  because  rural and primitive living people of Africa  know how to grow food  since it is part of culture  and   poor people in cities such as in the US or other developed nations  don't know about farming and when they become poor they are homeless begging on the streets. 

However I have heard about people who fast regularly  and are not anorexic even though they may be  almost bone thin. 

A different friend of mine  "A"  was surprised to hear that  my parents rarely gave me breakfast. 

It was cultural regarding my parents. I heard that in Hispanic households  sometimes kids don't get breakfast. Sometimes it is because of   poverty . But  also  it is just not a  practice. That is what I have read. 

But "A"  notices that  I have a certain  intelligence but also am introverted in a way , and she may not know about asexuality  and even though she never said so directly, and we never got into the issue that directly,     she seems to think that I am some unfortunate  because I  lived my life without  marrying or dating. She  told me that it makes her sad that my parents did not gave me breakfast when I was a child because  studies have shown that  kids who are not given breakfast have changes in their metabolism and physiology and it affects their personalities so that they have abnormal personalities. 

I knew what she was probably indicating. 

I told her that  then it means there is a one-size-fits-all idea as to how people should be like. Of course no one should feel like murdering or torturing people out of nowhere but  should everyone have the exact same personality and if eating breakfast  means that people will have the same personality  then  should people eat breakfast so as not to have the "wrong" personality and what is the definition of the wrong personality? 

Of course that is really deep and  goes into a different issue too. 

I told her that  Coptic Christians  practice fasting and do it  so often that  if the days of their fasts were counted it would probably numerically  show that Coptic Christians  spend half of any year fasting and their bodies are so used to it that they don't get sick from it or  faint.

Also when I was in  a certain history class in college the teacher explained that there was one Native American tribe  (I don't recall the name of the tribe but it could have been the Hopi tribe) that practiced a very frugal lifestyle because during those times and  in the natural environment,   there was scarcity  of resources. So the tribe evolved to  eat very little per meal. In fact they might have eaten only one meal a day and it sometimes consisted of only a piece of fish the size of a silver dollar and a spoonful of rice.  And the tribes people still were strong enough to work the land and build their homes and make clothes and  pottery  and  whenever necessary  they would be nomadic and travel for days on end and do such things that Native Americans did in the arid rugged land. 

Another friend of mine says she never ate breakfast in her life which is a bit odd because she grew up in typical American culture   I think back in the 1940s.  She had a mother who was a bit "hip"  but she was essentially had an American  suburban  life.

Now at my workplace  some of my co-workers are Bengali young women who are of a culture where they practice fasting during Ramadan.

One of my former coworkers once said she drinks milk but does not eat meat or eggs. She said it is because  meat comes from a living thing so it is unethical to her to eat something that was killed.

"Meat" would mean fish too. But she says that a cow does not have to be killed to get milk, and as for eggs,  eggs  can turn into a living thing so it is unethical to eat eggs. 

That's a different issue too. 

I rarely eat 3 meals a day.   I often skip breakfast.   I often eat one meal a day.  I don't feel weak by not eating breakfast or not eating before exercising or doing wirl.  For me,   whatever I eat does not  "give me energy " right away, it  is a longer term thing thing. I have to have been eating the right things a few days before.  When I ran my first 26.2-mile marathon I had fasted 15 hours priorly. 

I have heard that some people cannot live on vegetables and fruit,  I have heard that some people can.  Some people need constant protein or they will  feel faint.

I have heard one lady say that she has to eat every few hours or she will get dizzy.   

Sometimes I think that some people have been taught so intensely about the "necessity"  to eat three meals a day that they actually believe it and they get symptoms if they don't  eat those 3 meals a day. it can be psychosomatic.   

But   sometimes people might have low blood sugar and  they do need to eat frequently so as not to  get symptoms or get weak and dizzy.

• Like 1

fooledbysecrecy
13 hours ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

Me neither! Hence why I was so young (9 or 10) when I became a vegetarian. My family wasn’t phased, said they had anticipated that but wanted it to be my decision. It just hadn’t occurred to me earlier that I could say no to meat.

i was such a picky eater as a kid my mum made me at least taste a bit of everything. same thing at school (and while i've now realised how lucky i was to get free school meals some of it was just... plain traumatising) and my teacher was always watching me like a hawk. even worse than the taste of most meats is the texture *shudders*

anyway vegetarian dishes aren't really even an option in a small town in the middle of nowhere in finland. it wasn't until i moved to london that i discovered Food™ and the meat was just naturally left out of my diet.

• Like 4

yyy
On 8/23/2019 at 3:20 PM, Dreamer23 said:

Vegetarian - and not picky at that. As long as there's no animal in it, I'm gonna eat it! :)

(That being said, no "healthy dosage of milk" as per the poll, given how almond and cashew milks are clearly superior to animal ones. ;) Occasionally some dairy products though, so definitely not vegan)

The thing about almond milk is that  it has a watery weak taste and texture to it. Of course there are different kinds and brands.  The one closest to real cow's milk (IMO) is the "Trader Joe's " brand .. I have no idea if Trader Joe's is in other countries other than in the US.  However to make it more like cow's milk it has to have other ingredients than just almonds and water. Also I think it has  some kind of sweetener. Almonds have their own sweet taste as a nut, but as milk it has something of a cardboard taste.  I have tried almond milks with vanilla in it.  It just does not  work right enough but I guess some people like it. I have tried almond milk with  cashew in it and that is the same as with vanilla, it  does not really work well together. I have also tried almond and macadamia milk and that too is too watery and not a good combination.  It would require a lot of disguising of the base taste such as a good amount of sugar or some other sweetener. 

Overall the vegan choice that comes closest to real cow's milk  (IMO)  is  "Edensoy" brand original soymilk.   It has the right consistency and taste.  It is not purely just soybeans though. It has its other ingredients for the smoothness and such. Edensoy has a soy-vanilla variety but that one I think is also like cardboard. 

But ultimately  the  "best" soy milks or "almond milks "  have to have some sweetener in it. Honey would be best, maybe maple syrup,  but a bit of stevia or cane sugar is OK as far as enhancing the taste. Agave has a sweeter taste than honey, I think,  but  I heard that Agave is actually not very good for you and it is not just because it is another form of sugar.  I think few people  can just like  the taste of watered down almonds or soy beans. when they have already grown up consuming cow's milk for a significant amount of time . There is a certain reason why humans  like cows milk if they like milk at all .  Goat's milk just cannot just take the place of cow's milk unless  perhaps you grew up  drinking goat's milk. 

BTW  any of you ever tried goat's milk or goat's cheese?   

Health wise I am sure that almonds and cashews are healthy  but I am no so sure if they are "superior" to cow's milk. It can depend of course.   

Some people have nut allergies so that means no almond or cashew milk.  Soy beans are not a nut  so that might be an option for people with nut allergies.  There is also sunflower milk made of sunflower seeds. I tried it once but it would not take the place of cow's milk or at least almond or cashew milk taste wise. 

Some people are both lactose intolerant and have nut allergies.  Sometimes you are not born that way but develop it later in life.  My friend developed nut allergies when she was approximately in her 30s.  She used to eat peanut butter when she was younger but had to give it up. Her brother had severe allergies as a child so it is probably something genetic. 

I myself never saw  soymilk or almond milk or cashew milk or sunflower milk  anytime before the 1980s, but my friend tells me that soymilk existed when she herself was a kid back in the 40s but  that it was not as widely available as today. it was found in specialty  health food stores.  She did not hear of almond milk until approximately the 1960s. 

I think sunflower milk is mainly a new kind of  milk. It is a seed milk rather than a nut milk. 

I think I once saw almond-milk cheese and as of recent years I  have been seeing cashew and coconut milk  yogurt. Cashew yogurt  was awful. I tried it. 

Fioryn
57 minutes ago, yyy said:

But ultimately  the  "best" soy milks or "almond milks "  have to have some sweetener in it. Honey would be best, maybe maple syrup,  but a bit of stevia or cane sugar is OK as far as enhancing the taste. Agave has a sweeter taste than honey, I think,  but  I heard that Agave is actually not very good for you and it is not just because it is another form of sugar.  I think few people  can just like  the taste of watered down almonds or soy beans. when they have already grown up consuming cow's milk for a significant amount of time . There is a certain reason why humans  like cows milk if they like milk at all .  Goat's milk just cannot just take the place of cow's milk unless  perhaps you grew up  drinking goat's milk.

Many plant-based milks are fairly sweet without having to add sweetener, like oat milk and coconut milk.

I actually love the taste of plant-based milks without sweetener. Like cow's milk, they all have their own unique taste. My favorites are cashew milk, walnut milk, and oat milk.

I agree with you, though, that almond milk is very watery. I don't go for almond milk unless there are no other options. Cashew, oat, and coconut milks tend to be thicker.

I think many people who don't like the plant-based milks are hoping too much for them to be like cow's milk. There are distinctions between all of them, and they will all have different textures, taste, nutrition, etc. 

I still prefer the taste of cow's milk for some things, like in coffee. But for most things, I'm cool with using plant-based milks, and even prefer them.

Fioryn
On 8/23/2019 at 2:29 PM, FindingTheta said:

I tried Oatley, and it was divine!

Yes!! I love oat milk.

• Like 2

crazy ace

I'm pretty much addicted to nuts and seed.

Spoiler

Ew. Shut up. 😜

• Like 1

Remmirath

I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't much care for most meat, and I apparently eat it far less often than most people do (maybe once or twice a week, sometimes not at all in a week).

• Like 1

SkyenAutowegCaptain

Meat and veg, not huge amounts of starchy padding foods. No dairy due to intolerance 

• Like 1

AceMetal

During the school year my diet consists of basically nothing but protein bars and occasionally real food.

• Like 1

Brainiac
2 hours ago, AceMetal said:

During the school year my diet consists of basically nothing but protein bars and occasionally real food.

Real food? What's that?

Also did you choose that by yourself or was that the common thing there?

Jelle van der Lee

I checked Other, because while I'm most likely an omnivore, my attitude to food can't be described that precisely. for example, I eat lots of veggies and dairy, but I'm not a vegetarian because sometimes I actually eat meat and even like it - most of the time I just don't really fancy any meat. which means, I like the taste (and possibly structure) of veggies much more than meat and actually mostly base my meals on their structure.

I'm most likely lactose intolerant, but I love dairy so much that sometimes I really sacrifice myself for milk and cheese. because you know, everything is better with cheese :P

• Like 1

SCelyton
2 hours ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

I'm not a vegetarian because sometimes I actually eat meat and even like it - most of the time I just don't really fancy any meat. which means, I like the taste (and possibly structure) of veggies much more than meat

I'm like this too. The main reason I keep eating red meat is because for some reason my normal iron levels need to be very high and I struggle to get enough without meat. Also black pudding and haggis are delicious. 

Twisted Tempest

If I didn't eat meat, I would mostly be living off of fruit and mushrooms. There aren't a whole lot of vegetables I like, besides carrots and potatoes. Though I'm more open to eating vegetables when they're part of something like a pie maybe? 

Cat7

I'm a vegetarian.