What do you eat?

Soul Searcher

What do you eat? Vegetarian or not?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. What does your diet contain?

• I only eat Rabbit Food (Vegan)
    • Plants with a healthy dosage of milk (Vegetarian)
    • I have no problem eating animals (Non- Vegetarian)
    • Other (Please comment below)

This poll is closed to new votes

Neutral Charge
3 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

No, we don't have to. Vegetarian diets are at the very least harmless, and there is a lot of research which shows that a well-balanced vegetarian diet is healthier, particularly than the diet of those who believe that "a dinner without meat is no dinner".

Do you know what you are made of? Do you know you are made of trillions of life forms that lived and live within you like the sheep on the fields,independent of you mind? Do you know plants are lifeforms? Do you know that trees feel states of loss and treath, and when you use ur wooden spoon is like using a leather jacket or eating meat.

Plants feels the basic things, same as unconciouss animals do and creatures with no brain do as well, just cause plants cant tell you or show you they are alive doesnt mean they arent.

If you wanna try to be kind and respectfull you should know everything thats alive and autonomic feels, survives by absorbing life to transfer energy and create more life, thus why the balance and respect is required for both.

Everything you can eat as a human has life in it cause you cant be a plant unfortunatly, and cant eat rubber.

Sorry if i sound mean but ppl should look more into why and how and what, things are not so romantic as we like to make ourself believe, we are not that different from plants or animals( which forms everything thats alive) and i feel we need to respect whole of life not pick and choose 

All life matters not just dogs sheeps and cows and so on and life extends to the tinny stuff that makes you think and feel

Edit: i do agree vegetarian  diet is healthy, i myself am not a huge fan of meat, i try to balance both for personal reasons,id eat photons if i could :)) i have nothing against what others choose to eat i just want ppl to respect other life as well and be aware of how we use 

Omnivore.

Though I have idealistic opposition to a lot of foods. I don't eat sea food, avoid pork, and make an effort to reduce other meat consumption because of the environmental destruction those all cause. Can't wait for more synthetic meat to be sold, especially chicken, because those farms are horrible places. But it isn't like vegetarian options are not environmentally harmful, too. We saw that a lot with the recent drought. Everyone loves nuts and avocados and junk, but those are horribly intensive to grow.

Plus, I don't have the willpower or energy to maintain a healthy vegetarian diet 😉

RoseGoesToYale

I'm a foodie. Eating is one of my joys in life. There's very little I won't eat. Off limits includes oranges and blue cheese, blech!

I spent my childhood having my diet policed by my mother because she was afraid I'd gain weight like she did when she was young (that, and she enjoys controlling people). I was sick to my stomach frequently, quite thin and tired all the time, and it made eating joyless and painful. I felt much better at my dad's, he'd cook meals with all the food groups. Now I eat what I want and I love it. I have a very high metabolism. If I skip meals, my body punishes me for it. I often get glares from other women who see me eating steak and potatoes, "man food" they'd call it. I still can't believe how gendered even eating is. Eat what makes your body feel good, and explore texture and flavor like it's a treasure cave is my philosophy. 

I should eat more greens than I do. . . I know. . . it's bad. . .

I'm a pasta-holic.

If you are what you eat, then I largely consist of noodles XD

I grew up on a typical twentieth century American diet. Meat, grease and sugar. Fortunately I never grew fat on a typical American diet. As an adult, I dropped carbohydrates such as bread, potato chips and french fries from my diet. No more soft drinks, either. This left me with meat, grease and water. I gradually began a ketogenic diet, obtaining most of my energy from fats and proteins. High calorie food meant I only needed to eat one meal a day.  However if I required quick energy, sugar was a good source. Now as I'm growing older I find I need more fiber in my diet to keep my bowls running smoothly. I start with raman noodle soup, add mushrooms, celery, carrots and peppers. An added bonus to my gut flora is the probiotic stuff I drink. I mix some preserves with the vanilla kind. Some call this a "smoothie" but I call what I make "goop". Goop is good.

WinterWanderer

My diet lately consists mainly of olive oil, lots of veggies, spices, salsa, corn tortillas, some meat, some cheese, occasionally cheese-free pizza, and dairy-free coffee creamer. I absolutely love vegetables and try to find new veggies to cook with every time I go to the store.

I went plant-based for a while (aka vegan, but I don't really like the term "vegan", because "vegan" is more of a lifestyle and all I was doing was eating entirely plant-based meals). I liked it, and I'd like to go back to it. I switched off of it because it was hard to get enough protein without either breaking the bank or eating too many carbs. I think that now that I've made more plant-based meals, though, I could easily switch to an entirely plant-based diet again.

Complete Omnivore. I am a fairly-picky eater and do not eat a lot of meat anyways but when I do it can be sublime. I always get meat from local producers though and the thought of eating meat out-to-eat is pretty gross.

I would be fine giving up meat, but I do enjoy it. Vegan arguments do not really persuade me and anyways I love cheese too much to probably be vegan. Although for my own sake it is probably good I am not vegetarian or vegan, I do not like the alternative ways to get the essential nutrition you get from meat. I really cannot stand tofu or beans as ways for getting proteins, etc.

I eat most anything, however I am starting to try cutting out dairy and most sugars. Dairy because im slowly becoming lactose intolerant (started with ice cream, now with cake and cookies, and anything with lots of cream. It seems to be progressive) Almond milk is the boss. However if anyone can tell me how to make milk free biscuit gravy I will forever be in their debt. Sugar because I need to lose a hundred and fifty pounds to be a healthy weight.

I mostly eat turkey, chicken, and fish for the meats. I only have beef when I'm out and pork for breakfast sometimes. I do have vegetarian and vegan nights, once or twice a week and I would honestly be fine without meat at all except for bacon. I love bacon and sausage. but for dinner or lunch I would be fine without it. But I cook for two people and my mom wants some meat. If I ever move out on my own I'll probably become entirely vegetarian.  

Oh and I only drink water and the occasional fruit juice. Caffeine makes me really sick. so no pop except for Root Beer, and no coffee, or caffeinated teas.

LonesomeCrow

I have two kitchen jobs so I mostly eat whatever we're serving at work, as long as it's not seafood. I eat far too many carbs though, I admit. 

Soul Searcher
8 hours ago, MaggieB said:

I eat almost everything. Vegetables,fruits, peanuts and meat except pork and seafood (because of religious beliefs) and grom meat mostly poultry.

I can't.

Seriously. What I eat has to be good-looking and smell nice. If it's not, let's just say it's out of my plate.

Soul Searcher
8 hours ago, Homer van Simpsegem said:

I'm on a seafood diet. See food and eat it.

Never had sea food my entire life. Not sure I even want to try.

Soul Searcher
7 hours ago, FindingTheta said:

I tried Oatley, and it was divine!

7 hours ago, Dreamer23 said:

Vegetarian - and not picky at that. As long as there's no animal in it, I'm gonna eat it! :)

(That being said, no "healthy dosage of milk" as per the poll, given how almond and cashew milks are clearly superior to animal ones. ;) Occasionally some dairy products though, so definitely not vegan)

Oh, and no I certainly don't care what others eat. Wolf down as much meat as y'all like! :)

While it's far more prevalent in media than in reality, that high and mighty "I don't eat X so no one else should eat it" has always seemed silly to me.

I did not even know that fact. Wow

Soul Searcher
8 hours ago, GlamRocker said:

vegetables taste sweet to me now

Never thought l'd ever hear this

I eat meat, fish, vegetables, fruits

fooledbysecrecy
13 hours ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

Me neither! Hence why I was so young (9 or 10) when I became a vegetarian. My family wasn’t phased, said they had anticipated that but wanted it to be my decision. It just hadn’t occurred to me earlier that I could say no to meat.

i was such a picky eater as a kid my mum made me at least taste a bit of everything. same thing at school (and while i've now realised how lucky i was to get free school meals some of it was just... plain traumatising) and my teacher was always watching me like a hawk. even worse than the taste of most meats is the texture *shudders*

anyway vegetarian dishes aren't really even an option in a small town in the middle of nowhere in finland. it wasn't until i moved to london that i discovered Food™ and the meat was just naturally left out of my diet.

WinterWanderer
57 minutes ago, yyy said:

But ultimately  the  "best" soy milks or "almond milks "  have to have some sweetener in it. Honey would be best, maybe maple syrup,  but a bit of stevia or cane sugar is OK as far as enhancing the taste. Agave has a sweeter taste than honey, I think,  but  I heard that Agave is actually not very good for you and it is not just because it is another form of sugar.  I think few people  can just like  the taste of watered down almonds or soy beans. when they have already grown up consuming cow's milk for a significant amount of time . There is a certain reason why humans  like cows milk if they like milk at all .  Goat's milk just cannot just take the place of cow's milk unless  perhaps you grew up  drinking goat's milk.

Many plant-based milks are fairly sweet without having to add sweetener, like oat milk and coconut milk.

I actually love the taste of plant-based milks without sweetener. Like cow's milk, they all have their own unique taste. My favorites are cashew milk, walnut milk, and oat milk.

I agree with you, though, that almond milk is very watery. I don't go for almond milk unless there are no other options. Cashew, oat, and coconut milks tend to be thicker.

I think many people who don't like the plant-based milks are hoping too much for them to be like cow's milk. There are distinctions between all of them, and they will all have different textures, taste, nutrition, etc. 

I still prefer the taste of cow's milk for some things, like in coffee. But for most things, I'm cool with using plant-based milks, and even prefer them.

I'm pretty much addicted to nuts and seed.

Spoiler

Ew. Shut up. 😜

I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't much care for most meat, and I apparently eat it far less often than most people do (maybe once or twice a week, sometimes not at all in a week).

Meat and veg, not huge amounts of starchy padding foods. No dairy due to intolerance 

• 2 weeks later...

During the school year my diet consists of basically nothing but protein bars and occasionally real food.

Soul Searcher
2 hours ago, AceMetal said:

During the school year my diet consists of basically nothing but protein bars and occasionally real food.

Real food? What's that?

Also did you choose that by yourself or was that the common thing there?

• 2 weeks later...

I checked Other, because while I'm most likely an omnivore, my attitude to food can't be described that precisely. for example, I eat lots of veggies and dairy, but I'm not a vegetarian because sometimes I actually eat meat and even like it - most of the time I just don't really fancy any meat. which means, I like the taste (and possibly structure) of veggies much more than meat and actually mostly base my meals on their structure.

I'm most likely lactose intolerant, but I love dairy so much that sometimes I really sacrifice myself for milk and cheese. because you know, everything is better with cheese :P

Celyn: The Lutening
2 hours ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

I'm not a vegetarian because sometimes I actually eat meat and even like it - most of the time I just don't really fancy any meat. which means, I like the taste (and possibly structure) of veggies much more than meat

I'm like this too. The main reason I keep eating red meat is because for some reason my normal iron levels need to be very high and I struggle to get enough without meat. Also black pudding and haggis are delicious. 

Twisted Tempest

If I didn't eat meat, I would mostly be living off of fruit and mushrooms. There aren't a whole lot of vegetables I like, besides carrots and potatoes. Though I'm more open to eating vegetables when they're part of something like a pie maybe? 

I’m an omnivore. I try to eat a balance of things. When I turned 14, my mom and I started eating a kosher ‘style’ diet. Couldn’t, and still can’t, afford being fully kosher. I still don’t eat pork and shellfish products. That can be a little difficult when you live near the sea. People are really into shellfish. Plus, there isn’t a big Jewish community here. I was the only Jew in school growing up here.

I also took out soda about a decade ago. Now, I might have root beer when celebrating something. The taste has changed quite a bit for me, though. I mostly drink tea or water, and grape juice Friday nights. 

My diet changed quite a bit when I was diagnosed with colitis. I have a number of trigger foods even while in remission, because of the scarring of my digestive tract. Roughage affects it a lot. So I have to stay away from vegetables and some fruits that are raw and not peeled. No corn or whole/pieces of nuts (smooth nut butters are ok), either. Quite a few things that are staples in vegetarian diets I would have a hard time with. Safe foods for me are bananas, oatmeal, fish, eggs, chicken, beef, certain beans but not a lot, non-seedy breads, cheese, potatoes, honey, melon, vegetable soups, and more. 

I also have issues with absorbing enough protein. I have to figure out how to get more than what’s recommended for the average healthy person. Still haven’t found a way to get much over half of that. It’s hard when I’m already pretty limited. I might have to modify it again since I have another unknown autoimmune disease. It might be affected in different ways. So, my diet is getting more complicated. 

I'm on a mostly vegetarian diet but not enough that I classify as that. I did see the label flexitarian one day and laughed but if there is a bizarre label for food that's probably the most fitting for what I eat.

Archived