Where should a washing machine go?

RoseGoesToYale

Washing machine location  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Where should a clothes washer and/or dryer go?

• Kitchen
    • Bathroom
    • Separate room (i.e. laundry room, utility room)
    • Its own small closet somewhere
    • Bedroom
    • Basement/Attic
    • In an external building/shed
    • COMMUNAL LAUNDRY FACILITIES!!

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Karst said:

and I use the rail in my closet as a drying rack

My mum uses the handle of presses for drying coats,  cardigans, jumpers, and such

1 hour ago, Nanoic said:

I want to know someone who puts the machine in the attic.

Yeah, I'd like to see that. :lol: 

@Evren, a washer-dryer is as you said, a machine which washes then dries.

The two main reasons most British houses have the washing machine in the kitchen are that our houses are typically smaller than many countries, so there's seldom a laundry room, and that's where the waste water pipe is. Also kitchens tend to have a waterproof floor covering 

banana monkey
On 8/25/2019 at 8:27 PM, Evren said:

Oh cool :). I've seen airers in movies from the 70s but I didn't know anyone still used them today. The picture is of a small washer stacked on a dryer. 

oh i see. yes airers are very common here. I've not ever seen a small washer stacked on a dryer before. Here they all tend to be combos. 

A washing machine shouldn't go anywhere. If it does it's easy to fix though. Just sort the weight balance out, done.

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, timewarp said:

A washing machine shouldn't go anywhere. If it does it's easy to fix though. Just sort the weight balance out, done.

Never while it's running though.

2 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Never while it's running though.

You can catch it! It can't run very far since it will pull its plug out of the wall,  and stop.

DragonSpirit

A small separate room or, in the case of our house, the creepy basement storage room.

I don´t own one myself but there is a laundry room in my apartment building.

On 8/25/2019 at 9:46 PM, Rockblossom said:

I still use a couple of them, along with a clothesline on the back porch, when the air is dry enough.  In the USA, they are usually called "drying racks".   There are also drying racks on pullies that can be lowered from the ceiling to hang clothes, then lifted back up for the clothes to dry.  They are common in the USA Southwest on a back porch or in the garage. Like this:

drying-rack.jpg

There are also washer/dryer combos available in the USA, though they are hard to find, and they are expensive.  Since a single combo machine usually costs more than a separate washer and dryer, they are usually used only where there's no space for even a stacked washer and dryer.  You can see one here:

https://www.lg.com/us/washer-dryer-combos/lg-WM3488HW-front-load-washer

this.

envy is a bad thing, I'm aware I'm losing karma point over here

This is one of the first things I look for in finding new rental flats, is there room for my washer and dryer and where?

I had most scenarios in the voting list here. College days and first own place, I still used the laundromat. Even when the kids were little, we would have a weekly laundry day, pile all the laundry bags in/on the stroller, sat on of the kids on top and rolled on over. it was a small suburban/ghetto and we would make a day event out of it, they had a soda and snack machine as well as pinball, so the kids enjoyed the laundry day.

then we got a stacked washer/dryer unit that was hooked up in the kitchen,  we needed to unplug the stove to plug in the washer and had hoses that attached to the sink. not really convenient (I got zapped really bad once)  but it saved a bit of time and money. I'm not a fan of clothes washing machines in the kitchen because the scents don't match. food and soap smell.... nah. in either direction. 

Our current place has them in one of the bathrooms,  which works in terms of scents and the convenience of changing clothes. I also have a clothes bar there where I can hang my clean clothes before distributing them to their various owners, so I mostly dig it, would appreciate more room in the bathroom though. So I'm thinking about a conversation unit to stack the dryer onto the washer and gain a cubic meter of floor space. 

Basement washing rooms suck. I hate having to carry all my crap a gazillion steps downstairs and end up spending an hour cleaning before using the common washing room... I'd rather do the laundromat. 

A separate room for washing, drying, ironing and whatnot? let me wait for the corresponding letter in the "better than sex" thread. don't worry, I'm in mixed company. 

oh yea ...

On 8/28/2019 at 1:10 AM, Rockblossom said:

You can catch it! It can't run very far since it will pull its plug out of the wall,  and stop.

Spoiler

DuranDuranfan

Separate room downstairs in case of overflow.

• 1 month later...
J. van Deijck

Our washing machine is in the kitchen, because this is where we had space. Both our kitchen and bathroom are tiny, and there's absolutely no space in our bathroom for anything except for a shower, a sink, and a toilet seat. There's barely a space for a person, let alone a washing machine.

We don't have a dryer, but we have a solution: at summer we hang our clothes outside in the backyard, at winter we go to the laundry room on the other street. 

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

The washer and dryer have always been in a separate room (utility room). It never occurred to me that they could be anywhere else.

Garage. Not a lot of basements in California.

When I was growing up the washer and dryer were in an area off the kitchen next to the back door. Made it easier to hang things on the line outside.

So far, my washing machines have been located at the far end of the kitchen, the basement, the butler's pantry, odd closets/nooks off a hallway, a utility room, and several apartment complex laundry rooms and city laundromats. An odd thing with some of the new apartment complexes is to put a stacking washer and dryer in the master bedroom closet.

I am jealous of the drying racks that hang from the ceiling. I have a pair of folding racks and really miss my clotheslines.

I prefer it in it's own room, but otherwise would choose a bathroom for it to be in. My apartment here has it grouped with the bathtub room and the toilet room, and that works out well so I can put clothes there after taking a shower in the morning/evening. 

Ours is int he bathroom, it used to be in a garage or something, can't remember but when we moved it was outside and now it is inside. 

I like it in the Bathroom cause its just quick and easy to put things in especially if you want to put things in and go for a bath or shower. A laundry or utility room is just to much of a walk lol.

Some people must have bigger bathrooms or smaller washer/dryers than I am used to. :P Most bathrooms in houses I have been in are just big enough for a toilet and bathtub/shower and sink. No room even for compact washer/dryers.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the room. I'd go with preferably a separate room but a bathroom could work, though when I get my dream house built when I'm older I will probably get whatever's cheaper/more practical.

• 2 weeks later...

I think when we moved into the house, the washing machine was in the kitchen (as in many UK houses), but my parents wanted a dishwasher and there wasn't space for both, so both the washing machine and the tumble dryer are now in the garage.

We have ours in the entence hall/utilty room but I can accept having it in a seperate laundryroom, the basement or in the bathroom. Whereever it fits so long as it's not the bedroom or kitchen, that' disgusting. 

• 9 months later...

@RoseGoesToYale

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived