Why do asexuals like tea so much?

Your friend

WanderingKate

Funny enough im a big big cake person with an insane sweet tooth...but tea is meh . i guess we can't fit all the stereotypes no matter how hard we try :D

Custard Cream

tea is good.  Not convinced it has anything to do with asexuality, but hand me a mug of tea and I'll just shut up.

AceMissBehaving
35 minutes ago, CustardCream said:

tea is good.  Not convinced it has anything to do with asexuality, but hand me a mug of tea and I'll just shut up.

Amen!

Grey-Ace Ventura

I quite like tea

As a British person I have been brought up drinking lots of tea and personally really like it

I prefer it to coffee, but I could just as well not have it for months at a time. 

The stereotypical asexual in most people's minds is a white, privileged, timid, ultra liberal woman in oversized, ugly clothes, sipping tea alone in her shitty apartment with her thirty cats while reading Pride And Prejudice. Or the same person, only male, playing World of Warcraft all night while he feasts on cheetos.

But besides all that, tea is the shit. I drink buckets of decaf green, chamomile, ginger, and peppermint!

36 minutes ago, GlamRocker said:

The stereotypical asexual in most people's minds is a white, privileged, timid, ultra liberal woman in oversized, ugly clothes, sipping tea alone in her shitty apartment with her thirty cats while reading Pride And Prejudice. Or the same person, only male, playing World of Warcraft all night while he feasts on cheetos.

But besides all that, tea is the shit. I drink buckets of decaf green, chamomile, ginger, and peppermint!

I don't think that stereotype is too far off the mark TBH. Most stereotypes have some basis in reality.

24 minutes ago, GlamRocker said:

the same person, only male, playing World of Warcraft all night while he feasts on cheetos.

@GlamRocker

Do you have some kind of personal grudge against men who eat Cheetos and play World of Warcraft? I think it's pretty funny that you picked those two things. That is definitely a stereotype that I can see. I almost fit that one. I don't like Cheetos.

Just now, A Grey So Dark said:

@GlamRocker

Do you have some kind of personal grudge against men who eat Cheetos and play World of Warcraft? I think it's pretty funny that you picked those two things. That is definitely a stereotype that I can see. I almost fit that one. I don't like Cheetos.

Who plays WoW anymore? I figured by now everyone had moved on to Fortnite.

16 minutes ago, Some guy said:

You know what? You can take one of those cartoon pickaxes and...

Just kidding! Fortnite isn't that bad. It's just not for me.

Hm.  I don't like tea or coffee; I tried, since they are provided everywhere you go, but I just don't  like the taste of either.  I love hot chocolate and that's never provided. 

55 minutes ago, Some guy said:

The stereotypical asexual in most people's minds is a white, privileged, timid, ultra liberal woman in oversized, ugly clothes, sipping tea alone in her shitty apartment with her thirty cats while reading Pride And Prejudice. Or

Most people don't have mental stereotypes of asexuals because most people don't  know we exist.  

14 minutes ago, Sally said:

I love hot chocolate and that's never provided.

I can count on the thumb of one hand the number of hotels I have stayed in where, in addition to tea and coffee in the room, they also had hot chocolate. :P 

I wish more places would do that. Or on planes where they will usually offer coffee, how about also offering hot chocolate? :) 

LonesomeCrow

I wish I liked tea, I can somewhat tolerate black tea with sugar and lemon, but I'm more of a coffee person.

I don't like tea or coffee 😝, but I'll have a slice of cake. 🍰

I like tea and coffee ok, but my only addiction in life is Dr. Pepper. It's a thoroughly emotional addiction, in that I can be off soar and caffeine and have one and suddenly feel like the world is 1000% a better place. 

In any case, the person I know who is most attached to tea is thoroughly sexual. My vote is observation bias.

Custard Cream
5 hours ago, daveb said:

I can count on the thumb of one hand the number of hotels I have stayed in where, in addition to tea and coffee in the room, they also had hot chocolate. :P 

I wish more places would do that. Or on planes where they will usually offer coffee, how about also offering hot chocolate? :) 

I agree. Let's all start the hot chocolate revolution! 

Quite a lot of the better quality, non-chain UK hotels offer hot chocolate in the basket of drinks sachets, but a lot of them only put one sachet in a double room - what if both people want a hot chocolate? 🤣

Celyn: The Lutening
On 8/22/2019 at 8:41 PM, twetzel59 said:

large number of registered users in the UK

I do think this is the main reason. British culture involves lots of drinking tea and also seems to be the culture least obsessed with sex (see all the jokes about the British not having enough sex jokes in comedy).

So we have people who are more likely to drink a lot of tea, realise and accept they're ace, speak English and have reliable internet access.

Correllation not causation. 

8 hours ago, GlamRocker said:

Or the same person, only male, playing World of Warcraft all night while he feasts on cheetos.

Nah. Id prefer to model myself on the typical protagonist from a Murakami novel - easy going single middle aged dude who leads an uneventful life reading, cooking, and listening to music. I play games a bit too, but get to bed on time. 

Accompanied by tea, not coffee. 😻

15 hours ago, Some guy said:

I don't think that stereotype is too far off the mark TBH. Most stereotypes have some basis in reality.

If that's true, I'm no one's idea of what an asexual looks like.

15 hours ago, A Grey So Dark said:

@GlamRocker

WOW is poison! I'm kidding. Don't know why Cheetos came to me, I think any potato chip type product would do.

15 hours ago, Some guy said:

Clearly, ASEXUALS.

14 hours ago, Sally said:

Most people don't have mental stereotypes of asexuals because most people don't  know we exist.  

That's true, but the people I've met who know what asexuality is definitely already had ideas on what asexuals are like. They expected asexuals to be frightened "losers" who have delusionally decided they're asexual (something they don't really believe exists) in order to hide from their true nature and the world. That's where the Pride and Prejudice/WOW reference came from. They think that asexuals are just frightened sexual people who drown their urges in fantasy and isolation. 

Janus the Fox

I've developed a taste for Earl Grey more recently, though only occasionally, still have to stick to Decaff majority of the time for stomach health reasons.

well cake goes well with tea and cake is better than sex, naturally goes well together, as the memes go these days.

But I’m British Welsh, tea is everywhere, the water is naturally filtered and Welshcakes goes real well with tea :)

I don't like cake that much unless it's a swiss roll but I love iced tea. Regular tea not so much. Top three desserts are:

Cherry Pie

Arctic Roll

Swiss Roll

In my opinion anyway.

On 8/23/2019 at 3:50 AM, Darth Plagueis the Wise said:

Is there research behind that? I drink a fair amount of caffeine and my libido is basically nonexistent.

Don't know. Probably folklore. Some research has been done on rats if I recall correctly. Not sure about humans. There are studies that show that an excited state caused by non-sexual means increases sexual appetite, a famous example being the bridge study. For regular coffee drinkers (who are all caffeine addicts :P) a small amount of caffeine doesn't cause a significantly excited state, though.

DarkStormyKnight

Huh I am also a tea nutter. Didn't realize it's an ace thing...

Certainly hear in Britain Tea and cake are partners like salt and pepper, so liking tea is simply an extention of liking cake :P:P

Archived