Research Request: Asexuality and Sexual Attraction

Jarle

Hi all, 

We received the following from Lauren, a researcher from UCLA:

Title: Take a survey about asexuality for a UCLA Research Study!

Text: My name is Lauren Lesko, and I am a graduate student conducting a UCLA Research
Study on asexuality and sexual attraction. The goals are to raise awareness of asexuality in the
academic community, to gather basic statistics, and to define sexual attraction. I am looking for
anyone, ace or not, who is over age 18 and willing to take an anonymous survey approximately
nineteen minutes in length.

Here is the link to the survey: https://uclacommunications.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bHOZ3962SRQpDo1
If you have any questions, please contact me at lnlesko@ucla.edu. Thank you!

This study has been approved by the Research Approval Board. 

I like that there's a question in there that actually says "Choose strongly disagree for this question." lol

everywhere and nowhere
1 hour ago, Pandoren said:

I like that there's a question in there that actually says "Choose strongly disagree for this question." lol

It's a kind of control question, to make sure that you're paying attention to where each response is. Actually, I wish there were more of them, because I believe I did that page right, but still there is a little bit of uncertainty (exactly because it was reversed on the next page, if I remember well - with "agree" on the left)... Anyway, is someone marks "strongly agree" instead of "strongly disagree", it suggests that they didn't pay enough attention, but also that perhaps their answers for that page should be reversed. I don't know if the researchers will be making this kind of corrections.

16 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I believe I did that page right, but still there is a little bit of uncertainty (exactly because it was reversed on the next page, if I remember well - with "agree" on the left)

I'm glad you said this because I  was worried I filled the previous page out wrong.

I found it awkward that the second half was all about romantic partners but I'm aromantic and never had one. I wasn't sure how to answer or just to skip the entire second half of the survey completely.

everywhere and nowhere

Generally, I believe that some questions could use a "doesn't apply" option.

A bit confused over your definition of Sexual Desire and Arousal, which is making it hard for me to really respond.

Because at least from my understanding of what these mean that aren't as you defined- Desire is wanting something, it's a psychological response, so with food you see an apple and want to eat it. Arousal comes from libido, a physiological response, and not a necessarily physical one (female reproductive organs don't really have a physical response unlike male reproductive organs do, or rather none that is very noticeable), so with food it's more akin to hunger which is also a physiological response.

Mostly good, but I agree that the romantic preferences bit could use a N/A or skip option... Should I have done my best, or just hit all strongly disagree or whatever?

For my fellow Aromantics- maybe just put everything in "Neither Agree nor Disagree" when you struggle to answer as it's kind of not having a personal opinion on the question, so it's the closest to an N/A.

You don't have to answer all of the questions. You can leave them blank if none of the answers apply or you can't or don't want to answer them. None are mandatory.

Personally, I thought this was a horribly written survey. It seemed to be more concerned with testing if we were paying attention to changing the order of replies than having much to do with Ace questions. And the questions seemed like many would be directed at non-Ace people, so maybe they should rewrite the whole thing and dump the results they got? Or that was my impression by the end of the survey anyway.

HonoraryJedi

I skipped most of the romatic partners questions. Turns out basically no question is requires so you can skip as much as you want.

35 minutes ago, Balance said:

And the questions seemed like many would be directed at non-Ace people, so maybe they should rewrite the whole thing and dump the results they got?

I don't get this, why would the fact that they have questions directed at people who are not ace mean they should dump their results? At no point do they state that the survey is for ONLY ace people.

And I honestly liked that they defined attraction and desire and stuff themselves. I honestly think that makes it less confusing. This way I know what they actually want to know, rather than having to wonder what dictionary they're using. 

Celyn: The Lutening
2 hours ago, Balance said:

It seemed to be more concerned with testing if we were paying attention to changing the order of replies than having much to do with Ace questions

As a scientist, that's a sign of a really well written survey because they want to be as sure as they can that the data is valid.

An I'll second @HonoraryJedi that it says in the request that they are looking for "anyone, ace or not" to respond, so of course questions will be allo inclusive.

Celyn: The Lutening

Also the hunger/thinking food looks yummy analogy was awesome

My one big complaint, which is a universal one and not limited to this particular survey, is the insistence on using the term "again" when asking "Would you have sex (for whatever reason)?" It makes the assumption that everyone has had sex at some point in the past when it isn't true. Drop the term "again" from such questions, please.

• 5 months later...

I found it difficult to answer questions about "romantic partner" since I'm aromantic and am looking for QPR. It was even more confusing that some questions talked about "romantic partner" and others just "partner. Simply "partner" would have been good imo.

Also, I changed a tab to check out something on the dictionary, and all my answers so far disappeared. So do the questionaire nonstop!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree some of the questions are very hard to answer if you are not driven to romantic relationships or have not had them.  Also the use of the word" again" makes it sort of inaccurate for those who have not had sex to answer those questions.  Trying to rate how desirable others find you, when you do not view people this way is difficult.  It's good there was a comment section at the end to give feedback about the questions. 

Archived