• Yes but not 2019
    • No
  5. 5. Almanac

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Complete works of Emily dickinson

• Yes
    • Not the complete works but a selection of her best works
    • None, but I am open to the possibility as hope is the thing with feathers that never asks
    • No
    • Wtaf?
  7. 7. Roadmap

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. TV guide

• Yes for the current week
    • Yes, but not current week. Maybe the TV stations will repeat the programmes of the week ended 14th June 2019?
    • No
  9. 9. Religious book

• Yes, various
    • Yes, one
    • No
  10. 10. How many questions did you say yes or a variant of yes to

This poll is closed to new votes

So which of the following do you have in hard format  of the following that as growing up, would be found in nearly every house (ok, one isn't but 

- atlas (yes)

- dictionary and/or thesaurus (dictionary only)

- encyclopaedia (no)

- road map (no)

- almanac (no)

- diary (no)

- complete poems of Emily Dickinson  (yes)

- TV guide 

- religious book

AlkalineCube

Only thing I have is a bible, because someone gave it to me and I don't want to offend them. But of course, I have the internet, which acts as ALL of those things? 

I have lots of reference books, but not all fall into those categories so I was only able to check 3 of them. I have multiple atlases of various sorts (probably 20 or more). I have multiple dictionaries, including English and other languages, as well as visual dictionaries. I have etymologies and books of quotations (such as Bartlett's). I have reference books on specific subjects, such as geography, evolution, skepticism, history, dinosaurs and other prehistoric critters, literary subjects (such as LOTR, Discworld, Sherlock Holmes). I have books about names (first names, last names, place names).

I miss encyclopedias...

i have a number of reference guides to Science Fiction & Fantasy, including the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction. 

I consider the Bible to be a religious book and I also have a translated copy of an ancient book on church history by a Christian historian named Eusebius. I also consider the book titled The Histories by the Greek author Herodotus to be a form of reference material. 

Have I gotten interesting enough for you yet or do you want me to keep going? I can do this all day. Here’s another one for you. I’m going to be creative here. This next part is fictional but I do own the book. 

Slowly raises hand to ask a question.

Does it count as a dictionary or a thesaurus if the cover of the book says dictionary but every entry in Latin?

Receives reply.

Oh okay. I guess that it does dictionary on the cover. I just wasn’t sure because it has English translations instead of definitions. I though that was more of what a thesaurus was. Isn’t a thesaurus supposed to tell you another word to use instead of the one you looked up?

Angry crowd noises intensify.

I’ll just be going now.

Casually exits through door.

2 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

I miss encyclopedias...

We had a set in my household growing up that were already out of date even back then (1960s - but the encyclopedias listed Hawaii and Alaska as territories).

5 minutes ago, A Grey So Dark said:

dictionary

Yep, language dictionaries where it's one language to another are still dictionaries, not thesauruses. :) 

@daveb

I was fairly sure you would say that. I wasn’t entire certain what would be considered. I love a good joke so I chose to have some fun with it. Now that I wrote all of that I wish I was still in school. I would love to go try something like that in an English classroom and see what results I could get.

52 minutes ago, daveb said:

We had a set in my household growing up that were already out of date even back then (1960s - but the encyclopedias listed Hawaii and Alaska as territories).

We had an atlas at home when growing up, that must have been from my mother's school days with old borders and old names

I loved it 💘

Grumpy Alien

I have a French/English dictionary but I think that’s it

I grew up with all of these around, now I have none. They are all in the internet. 🙂

Do the ones packed in a box from college count? 😉

Never had a full encyclopedia growing up. About half of one because they stopped selling the series at the store.

I do still keep a roadmap in my car, local and when I go on trips. i have a phobia of relying on my phone.

Atlas- No, although I do have a map of the world and a map of the US hanging in my dining room.

Dictionary/Thesaurus- Yes, I have a Spanish-English Dictionary.

Encyclopedia- Yes. Not a full set, but I have an encyclopedia about space, and a little information book about cats.

Diary- No.

Almanac- No, just a regular wall calendar.

Emily Dickinson- No.

Road map- No.

TV guide- No, I don’t have cable so it wouldn’t make much sense for me to have one anyway.

Religious book- No.

Atlas-Yes, multiple ones

Dictionary/Thesaurus-One dictionary and one thesaurus, plus there is a dictionary of medical terms in the attic

Diary-Yes, but I call it my log, like a Captain's Log, since it mostly records what I did that day, less what I feel emotionally

Encyclopedia-Not really, technically I have two books entitled the Encyclopedia of Model Railroading and the Encyclopedia of Architectura, but I don't think of them as Encyclopedias

Almanac-Not for 2019, I have in years past though

Emily Dickinson-No

Road Map-Yes, multiple ones

TV Guide-No, no cable TV so useless anyways, if I want to know what is on PBS I just look it up

Religious Book-Yes, having very religious grandparents means you have an excess of Bibles, I think I have five different Bibles

DragonSpirit

Atlas--sure, why not

Thesaurus--YES

Dictionary--YESSSSS

Encyclopædia--ehhhhh...nah

Diary--NO WE'RE NOT EVEN GOING THERE

Religious Book--yeah I like Bibles

Everything Else--no

Atlas - yes

Thesaurus - yes 

Dictionary - yes

Encyclopedia - yes

Diary - nope) that's what AVEN meetup mart is for :P:P

Almanac - yes (I have nearly 30 Wisden Cricket Almanacs) 

Emily Dickson - no, I've never encountered her works 

Roadmap - Yes, lots, and I really like looking at them

TV guide - No, I don't plan my life around TV so why waste the money 

Religious book - nope 

everywhere and nowhere

Since I work with language, I have several dictionaries at home.

- Thesaurus of Polish language (3 volumes);

- Dictionary of foreign words;

- Spelling dictionary of Polish (I never really need it - even in first grade I made about one spelling error per semester because I was already an active reader and just absorbed the knowledge how are words spelled);

- Dictionary of correct language forms;

- Dictionary of Polish phrases;

- Thesaurus of German language (one huge volume which weighs at least two kilograms)*;

- several Polish-English dictionaries;

- several Polish-German dictionaries;

- Polish-French dictionary;

- two Polish-Russian dictionaries;

- Polish-Latin dictionary in two volumes (blue one for P-L combination and red one for L-P);

- small Polish-Norwegian dictionary;

- large English-Norwegian dictionary;

- Polish-Ukrainian dictionary (unfortunately pretty low quality);

- Polish-English medical dictionary (my mom is an ophthalmologist and helping her with English-language papers and presentations prepared me for translating medical texts);

- Polish-German medical dictionary (by the way, as with the Latin dictionary, they come from the same series: the English one is blue and the German one green).

Plus tourist phrasebooks (Polish-Czech, Polish-Ukrainian and Polish-French), a work called "Dictionary of troublesome words" which is rather a work on correct language usage (apart from single words which are often mistaken or spelled incorrectly, it includes more general entries such as "folk etymology", "analogy", "contamination")...

I also very often use online dictionaries when translating something - they are just much faster to work with, the only problem is that they are a) not always fully reliable, and b) dependent on content of source dictionaries which is transferred into the web...

For example ling.pl is a quick multi-language dictionary, but its database for German is much smaller than for English (often I need to refer to other online dictionaries, a paper dictionary, in rare cases I encounter such obscure and obsolete words that even the Wahrig thesaurus doesn't list them). As for English, it annoys me that for some reason - maybe the Polish-English military dictionary just happened to be the first to be transferred? - military usages pop up first, and they really are rarely the most needed ones... I wish they sorted dictionaries with the most general ones coming up first.

I have quite a lot of dictionaries alone, but also note that I have about 3000 books at home.

*By the way, I checked it - its size is (in centimeters) approx. 28x20,5x8 cm. However, I can't weigh it - my kitchen scale has a limit of two kilograms and I'm afraid of damaging it, and I don't have any other scale at home. I find myself absolutely unable to accurately estimate weight with my hands and distance, length, volume etc. with my eyes.

Anthracite_Impreza

I don't even know what an almanac is, so I'm going to assume I don't have one. All I have are encyclopedias, one which was my very first 'baby' encyclopedia I got at age 5(?), the rest are animal, space or vehicle ones, but I've not read them for years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

- Atlas:  Yes, several of them.

- Dictionary and/or Thesaurus: No.

- Encyclopaedia: Yes.

- Road Map: Yes.

- Almanac:  No.

- Diary:  Yes, but not for 2019.

- Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson:  No.

- TV Guide:  No.

- Religious Book:  Yes, several.

Atlas:  Still got my high school one (de Grote Bosatlas, 52nd edition)

Dictionary: lots of them (Dutch, Danish, French, German, ancient Greek, Latin)

Thesaurus: English

Encyclopaedia: Some old dusty ones

Road map: mostly cities, but also a large Scandinavia one

Religious Book:  I'm not religious, but I've still got my 2 bibles from religion class in primary school. If Greek mythology also counts as religious... then there's a lot of those as well ;)

- Atlas (yes)

- Dictionary and/or thesaurus (All three, several versions)

- Encyclopaedia (Three complete sets and several encyclopeadia reference books)

- Road maps (Too many)

- Almanacs (My family has a collection going back almost 200 years)

- TV guide (Of course, it comes with the newspaper)

- Religious book (Yes, mostly old, old Bibles and hymnbooks and other Christan works but also some Buddhist texts)

None.

They are all on my phone \o/ (Or my desktop if I need them in larger)

I have an anthology of poetry by American women including some by Emily Dickinson, but no books that are just Emily Dickinson, much less her complete works. I’ve never kept a diary consistently, but I have a digital journal in my computer that I write something in whenever I feel like I have something specific to say, as well as some paper diaries from middle school and high school. I have a dictionary and thesaurus (as 2 separate books) as well as an English/Spanish, English/German, and English/Hawaiian dictionary, but I rarely use any of them. I also have some road maps stuffed in the back of a drawer, but never looked at them much. I don’t have a TV in my house (well technically I do, but it’s not connected to anything that would allow you to actually watch TV on it) so there’s not much point in having a TV guide, and I don’t have an atlas or almanac either.

• 9 months later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived