Pink News — This is how many LGBT people identify as asexual in America

Homer

Research from the Williams Institute has shown for the first time how many of America’s sexual minority population identifies as asexual.

Out of a sample of around 1,500 lesbian, gay and bisexual people, 1.7 percent said they identified as asexual. 

9 August - https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/08/09/how-many-lgbt-people-identify-asexual-america/

Their statistics about aces can't be trusted at all. 1.7% of their original sample of 1500 people means that they only had a sample of around 25 or 26 aces. Which is a really tiny sample.

6 minutes ago, Kraken X said:

Their statistics about aces can't be trusted at all. 1.7% of their original sample of 1500 people means that they only had a sample of around 25 or 26 aces. Which is a really tiny sample.

I'm not sure what the problem is here. They've asked 1,500 folks, which is a decent sample size.

39 minutes ago, Homer van Simpsegem said:

I'm not sure what the problem is here. They've asked 1,500 folks, which is a decent sample size.

I suppose I wasn't clear. I agree that 1500 is a decent sample size, so it's fine for them to say 1.7% of LGB people are ace.

What I was referring to was when they give statistics on the subsample that identified as ace, such as that 72% of us are nonbinary or that 86% are AFAB. Those statistics are only out of the subsample of around 25 aces, and so are much less likely to be accurate.

3 minutes ago, Kraken X said:

What I was referring to was when they give statistics on the subsample that identified as ace, such as that 72% of us are nonbinary or that 86% are AFAB. Those statistics are only out of the subsample of around 25 aces, and so are much less likely to be accurate.

That is indeed correct. I totally misread that.

5 minutes ago, Kraken X said:

I suppose I wasn't clear. I agree that 1500 is a decent sample size, so it's fine for them to say 1.7% of LGB people are ace.

Not to mention it's a sample of LGB people, so it leaves out aces who don't consider themselves part of that population, such as probably a good proportion of heteromantic aces. :) 

Archived