What happens to you (not general "you" -- you specifically) after death?

mausgrau

I really like this question. And I try my best to express my thoughts in english, that's not always easy. 

I think when we die, we just vanish. Like you know, our body dies, all life functions stop and our family or who ever else will grave or burn it, but our core of existence, our soul will be still alive. I imagine that we will return to the universe or that kind of power that brings souls in the bodies of newborn children. 

Maybe we forget everything. Like our many lifes before we died. We know nothing, no memories, no feelings so we start again. In another body, maybe another country and in a still completely new life. 

And maybe, if we are extremely lucky we are able to meet old friends from another life without even knowing it. I imagine there could be a feeling about knowing the other person or feeling comfortable with them without having an explanation for these feelings. 

Like in the book "a street cat named Bob". You know it? For me it absolutely sounds like it that bobs soul found the way back to james, even in the body of a cat. Who this soul could have been in the past is unknown, but maybe it is the soul of someone in his past family. Or maybe that small kitten he tried to save when he was just a kid? Noone knows.

Of course there is no proof for this theory, but I really like the idea. I don't believe in god but in the existence of a greater power bcs I don't have another explanation myself about all this soul-thingie. 

I mean if we think about the soul topic: it's proved that even babies have different personalities. Some of them want fulltime attention at all costs, some of them are shy or scared of everything. And others love everyone and laughs most of the time. How could that be possible when there is no kind of "personality" they were born with? And this is the soul, I think. A personality developed out of all our lifes before and we don't remember. 

This is what I want to believe in. That we are just a small piece of a bigger existence and that we never really die but get the chance to start again, even when the last life went bad or something horrible happens. 

What do you think?

DarkStormyKnight

I think it's most likely that I'll just cease to exist and enter the void.

But sometimes I think it'd be interesting to come at it from a "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" perspective, as in, meeting 5 people who have had the biggest impact on my life. Still have no idea who it would be, but I ponder that a lot.

My body will be donated as much as possible to other people. The rest will be burned and tossed in a lake or in wildflower seeds or in the ocean. I'm not terribly particular. 

My "self" "soul" whatever you want to call it, I have no idea what will happen. Should be interesting. :) 

Depends on origin of universe, and for this, I await r value of primordial b-modes. If it is not found, then I would be inclined to believe we'll be back with no memories of our lives after an eternity as that one bounce will generate a you. If it is found, cease to exist. 

thequietplace

Oh this is an interesting question, I'm not sure what my ultimate answer is at the moment but I went through a few different ideas during my life

First when I was a kid and reading about endangered species and how they can't get enough food, are dying out etc, I wanted to donate my body to be eaten by say, a Lion or Tiger, then later on figured out that giving a lion/tiger a taste for man meat is probably NOT a helpful thing to do and I wouldn't have stretched very far...god can't believe I used to think this but I was very young.

Later I thought I would come back to the world, but not have any of the restrictions of being alive - I could travel with a click of my fingers to anywhere I wanted (and beyond, other galaxies etc) and no one would be able to see or hear me I could just observe everything - as an introvert teenager convinced that dying would leave a lot of unfulfilled experiences, this sounded good but now I think it just sounds really lonely. I could have disappeared for good if I wanted to at any point in this one btw.

Now, after starting to meditate and spending time with a very spiritual friend who I seem to share dreams with/visit in her subconscious, I believe more in the idea of a universal energy that I will become part of, and my body will be burnt, buried or anything else I write in my will.

Edit: I remembered I wanted to be cremated and my ashes thrown off a cliff which has special meaning. (hopefully not to blow back 'Big Lebowski' style!)

I do want to leave behind a scrapbook of my life though, a project which I'm looking to start, going right back to my earliest memories - sometimes I just need a reminder that life's been pretty good and if I go now, it's been an alright ride, with some really cool experiences and achievements. I am waiting on some test results which could be a bad outcome so this is forefront of my mind at the moment. I will also leave behind several art pieces that will last hundreds of years, kinda of like that legacy.

Really interesting to read all your replies too.

thequietplace
On 8/24/2019 at 11:58 PM, kenny. said:

well after i die a (hopefully) interesting death, of course, my body will begin decomposing. i don't really care what happens to my body after that, cremation, burial, whatever. hopefully, the death is interesting enough that there won't be a body left to deal with, it would be very theatrical to be eaten by a shark. people could throw me into a freaking trash bag and that'd be fine (i'm kidding, i know that there are laws n' stuff). i think cremation is the best option, financially speaking. as for any religious or spiritual stuff? well, i was brought up in a religious family, so it'd be cool if such a thing as heaven existed, i dunno what to think about that sometimes. but if it is really just ceasing to exist, like the eternal sleep, i would be fine with that too. i know i won't make a difference or an impression on people during my lifetime, so i don't hold out any hopes to be remembered.

edit: i want a neat tombstone if i get buried tho

Seems to be a getting eaten by animals is a theme!

Yeh a cool tombstone and a cheap coffin - no need for the expensive stuff if it's going in the ground to rot.

To be honest, I'd rather be eaten by an animal or to rot in the ground than to be undisturbed in a tombstone. 

thequietplace
On 8/8/2019 at 11:59 PM, CBC said:

YES.

Been thinking about exactly that a lot lately.

Hence the meaning of life?...Death (couldn't find a grim reaper emoji)

SorryNotSorry
On 8/7/2019 at 3:33 AM, Whatsis said:

What do you believe, really? What happens after death?

We rot, duh

On 8/7/2019 at 3:33 AM, Whatsis said:

How certain are you of your beliefs?

Pretty certain, because I've seen dead things rot.

Archived