Ace characters in media!

Arodash

Hey all! Here is a new one for you, who is your FAVORITE character in any form of media who is confirmed Asexual or you suspect is.

Feel free to share theories about characters you suspect of being ace

And I will go ahead and start off by saying I think Solid Snake from the metal gear franchise is on the Ace spectrum

nineGardens

Amadeus, from "Practical Guide to Evil".

Lisa from "Worm"

(both webnovels)

Please be careful to differentiate "not having sex" with "asexual"... a lot of characters in media are "asexual" because their stories and characters just don't have sex or dating. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't should the opportunity pop up, which, given media, is almost inevitable. I have a hard time finding a true asexual character because you don't know until the author intentionally exposes them to that situation. Call me cynical, but I don't trust them until then.

I recently saw a video on asexual characters in media that talked about a popular head-canon of Jessica Rabbit being asexual, and I love that idea so much! I've become a bit obsessed with her character since then because I find the idea so intriguing, and I like the implications. Even though she's such a sexualized character, that's just a reflection of her aesthetics, and it doesn't dictate her sexuality. She can dress and express herself in any way and it doesn't make her any more or less asexual.

The main ideas around this head-canon seem to be based on the fact that she's married to Roger Rabbit, who she claims she married because he makes her laugh, and while they are romantic there doesn't really appear to be anything sexual between them, and also her famous line "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way." could easily be interpreted as a nod to asexuality i.e. "I'm not sexual, I was just made/present that way." (Not that sexuality is bad, just double meanings of the word).

1 hour ago, sallimae76 said:

Sheldon from Big Bang.

Seconded 😎

100% Todd Chavez from BoJack Horseman. 

(Spoilers maybe?) He is explicitly, canonly ace, goes through an arc of finding self-acceptance, going through the motions of trying (and failing) to have a relationship with the girl he likes who isn't ace, he finds support, and the show generally handles it all with a lot of taste. They go over a lot of issues that I know other asexual people understand (dating people who are ace just because they're ace, etc.) and asexuality isn't the only thing Todd has in his life. He's funny, he's great, he's an incredible character, and honestly the best asexual representation I've ever seen. 

Charlie Weasley because I don't know of anything bad about him and he works with dragons for a living. 

1 hour ago, cyane-len said:

100% Todd Chavez from BoJack Horseman. 

(Spoilers maybe?) He is explicitly, canonly ace, goes through an arc of finding self-acceptance, going through the motions of trying (and failing) to have a relationship with the girl he likes who isn't ace, he finds support, and the show generally handles it all with a lot of taste. They go over a lot of issues that I know other asexual people understand (dating people who are ace just because they're ace, etc.) and asexuality isn't the only thing Todd has in his life. He's funny, he's great, he's an incredible character, and honestly the best asexual representation I've ever seen. 

He's probably the only character I can think of who is a confirmed ace. Something I liked about how they handled his sexual orientation is they did not reveal it until the end of season 3, and after it was confirmed he really felt like he was the same character as before.   Like, they introduced this new struggle in his character arc. but overall he still felt like the same person as before. 

As for characters I might speculate are ace.. I'm thinking maybe Will from Stranger Things. I understand the character is young, but I feel like there's more to his lack of sexual interest than just immaturity. it seems to me like it is a more concrete part of his character than that. I've also heard people mention Lord Varys from Game Of Thrones, but I think including him is cheating, and a tad insulting 

3 hours ago, Arodash said:

Hey all! Here is a new one for you, who is your FAVORITE character in any form of media who is confirmed Asexual or you suspect is.

Feel free to share theories about characters you suspect of being ace

And I will go ahead and start off by saying I think Solid Snake from the metal gear franchise is on the Ace spectrum

Interesting theory about Snake, what we do know about Snake is he was cloned to be sterile. Whether that means he is interested in sex or not is unclear, but I could definitely see that being a possibility. Personally however, I do not think that is what Kojima was going for. I think Snake's "loner" status has more to do with the fact that he was created for the purpose of fighting, and thus cannot be committed to a long term relationship, but the impression I get is that he still does have an interest in having sexual relationships with women, just not a full commitment. I say this based on his flirtatious attitude towards every woman he interacts with in the first MGS (though Meryl seems to be his only romantic interest). Of course that doesn't necessarily mean he is interested in sex, but if I am trying to get into the mind of the creator, I think his intention was to depict a sexual interest 

5 hours ago, Rkod75 said:

He's probably the only character I can think of who is a confirmed ace. Something I liked about how they handled his sexual orientation is they did not reveal it until the end of season 3, and after it was confirmed he really felt like he was the same character as before.   Like, they introduced this new struggle in his character arc. but overall he still felt like the same person as before. 

As for characters I might speculate are ace.. I'm thinking maybe Will from Stranger Things. I understand the character is young, but I feel like there's more to his lack of sexual interest than just immaturity. it seems to me like it is a more concrete part of his character than that. I've also heard people mention Lord Varys from Game Of Thrones, but I think including him is cheating, and a tad insulting 

Interesting theory about Snake, what we do know about Snake is he was cloned to be sterile. Whether that means he is interested in sex or not is unclear, but I could definitely see that being a possibility. Personally however, I do not think that is what Kojima was going for. I think Snake's "loner" status has more to do with the fact that he was created for the purpose of fighting, and thus cannot be committed to a long term relationship, but the impression I get is that he still does have an interest in having sexual relationships with women, just not a full commitment. I say this based on his flirtatious attitude towards every woman he interacts with in the first MGS (though Meryl seems to be his only romantic interest). Of course that doesn't necessarily mean he is interested in sex, but if I am trying to get into the mind of the creator, I think his intention was to depict a sexual interest 

Love the analysis. I love how David is always so hyper focused on his mission he never lets sexual interest cloud his mind, unlike a certain fathed of his..... lol but yeah no, I dont think Kojima was thinking about that at all, its just a theory I have. The fact that he is a sterile clone I think lends some credance to the theory

8 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Please be careful to differentiate "not having sex" with "asexual"... a lot of characters in media are "asexual" because their stories and characters just don't have sex or dating. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't should the opportunity pop up, which, given media, is almost inevitable. I have a hard time finding a true asexual character because you don't know until the author intentionally exposes them to that situation. Call me cynical, but I don't trust them until then.

Also bear in mind though that some people on the spectrum have sex, What I am going for are characters that seem to show some ace tendencies that I think most of us can relate to in regards to our orientation. But awesome analysis, dont worry your not the only cynical one ;)

Martin Grove & Arthur Drams in Ada Maria Soto's quiet romance, His Quiet Agent and follow up short, Merlin at the Library.

Rob in Firelands: Jimmie Loves Rob by Sam Burke.

Stardust_Girl

Definitely Todd Chavez!! Bojack Horseman is one of my favorite shows, and it handled him coming out ace really well. Plus at the time I first binged it I was kinda going through a weird time with my sexuality so seeing a canonically ace character made me feel more normal.

16 minutes ago, Stardust_Girl said:

Definitely Todd Chavez!! Bojack Horseman is one of my favorite shows, and it handled him coming out ace really well. Plus at the time I first binged it I was kinda going through a weird time with my sexuality so seeing a canonically ace character made me feel more normal.

I think it is always nice when we feel validated and, normal, to know we arent broken is a huge relief.

I like to headcanon Peridot from Steven Universe as asexual.

In SU, “fusion” is often used as a way to discuss sex and consent. Fusion is pretty straight forward. It’s when characters literally fuse from 2 or more individuals into one being. One line in the show said by Pearl was, “Fusion is the ultimate connection between gems,” which is what a lot of people say about sex.

In one episode in (I believe it was) season 2, Peridot attempts to fuse with another character, Garnet, to try and understand what the appeal is. She ends up backing out because it makes her too uncomfortable.

She hasn’t fused or tried to fuse since, despite growing a very strong and lowkey romantic connection with another gem, Lapis.

I like to imagine that she doesn’t fuse because she’s on the ace spectrum ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, Peridot is such a lovable character.

DarkStormyKnight

I just finished Bojack Horseman and agree with all that, I love what they did with Todd's character! It's so great that they decided to make a character ace and use it to explain things like how aces can still get married and everything.

I didn't like the episode where he meets his gf's parents and they're so hypersexual though, since it's mistaking asexuality for celibacy. They kinda sorta fix it later, but still made me feel uncomfy.

And the Peridot headcanon is super interesting, I love that!

The only character I've seen who could be was Clariel. Clariel is a Garth Nix book, never read any of the others but it was in a wikipedia article on asexual characters. I haven't finished it yet but it's pretty good so far.

On 8/15/2019 at 2:57 AM, Carmine88 said:

The only character I've seen who could be was Clariel. Clariel is a Garth Nix book, never read any of the others but it was in a wikipedia article on asexual characters. I haven't finished it yet but it's pretty good so far.

That's interesting. I haven't read Clariel, but I've read the first three, and Lirael reads a lot like an ace character. Partly because she has no romantic plot line or interest, 

Spoiler

And any idea of a romance with the one character with whom she spends a lot of time is put paid to by the revelation that he's her biological nephew

Spoiler

but also because her whole story feels a lot like a metaphor for asexuality- waiting all her teens for something to happen that everyone around her sees as normal and universal, not oppressed or mistreated per se, but feeling alone, misunderstood, infantilised and 'broken', until she discovers that she can stop waiting to become something she isn't, and instead becomes validated and empowered through the things that she is. 

Jack O'Malley, one of the main characters in the webcomic Widdershins by Kate Ashwin, is canonically aro-ace.

The comic series Raven the Pirate Princess by Jeremy Whitley also includes an asexual character, Jayla. 

There are a couple of anime characters I think might be asexual.

1. Kusuo Saiki from The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. He repeatedly expresses a lack of interest in sex and romance throughout the series, as well as confusion as to why everyone else seems to be so obsessed with it. 

2. Gowther from The Seven Deadly Sins. There is little info to support this, but I cant imagine someone who can't feel emotion being able to feel attraction (sexual or romantic). It is implied that he had sex in season two, however the way this info was presented it seems to me that this was motivated by academic curiosity rather than attraction. *Please note I have only read the manga through volume 24, please no spoilers if you know more about this than I do*

On 8/22/2019 at 8:27 AM, Ferly said:

That's interesting. I haven't read Clariel, but I've read the first three, and Lirael reads a lot like an ace character. Partly because she has no romantic plot line or interest, 

Hide contents

And any idea of a romance with the one character with whom she spends a lot of time is put paid to by the revelation that he's her biological nephew

Hide contents

but also because her whole story feels a lot like a metaphor for asexuality- waiting all her teens for something to happen that everyone around her sees as normal and universal, not oppressed or mistreated per se, but feeling alone, misunderstood, infantilised and 'broken', until she discovers that she can stop waiting to become something she isn't, and instead becomes validated and empowered through the things that she is. 

I'm gonna read the others at some point so that's good to hear. I recommend Clariel, largely because I like characters that are morally on the fence.

Twisted Tempest

Kazuma Kiryu from Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku, I believe the writer himself confirmed it. Though there are moments in the game's side stories where he does show a little interest, the writer has said this is non canon and simply added for the sake of a little humour, where as you see him show zero interest in sex throughout the main storyline, and even acts uncomfortably around the subject. 

Asexual of Myth & Legend

Sherlock Holmes, particularly as he is portrayed in the original books. I also think that Sir Galahad from Arthurian legend was asexual

1 minute ago, I'm No One said:

Sherlock Holmes, particularly as he is portrayed in the original books. I also think that Sir Galahad from Arthurian legend was asexual

I need to look into Galahad. I love Arthurian legend

DarkStormyKnight

Ooo haven't heard the Galahad one before, but that could be the case!

When I first read the Metro 2033 series I thought Artyom came off very Ace.... and then in 2035 I come to find out he married another ranger named Anya

Archived