What is your favourite Shrek movie?

What is your favorite Shrek movie?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Shrek movie?

• Shrek 1
    • Shrek 2
    • Shrek 3
    • Shrek Forever After
    • I love all Shrek movies equally

blunose2772

I love them all but #2 holds the top spot IMO

No. 2 is a true masterpiece of a movie, not even kidding. That fight sequence at the end with "I Need a Hero"? Chills.

Grumpy Alien

Only the first one is acceptable

Duke Memphis

The first two are great, but the first one's the best. It's got Lord Farquaad, an analogy with onions and parfait, many iconic lines, the best rendition of "Hallelujah" (in my opinion) that intensifies the sadness of the scene, and Donkey's stubbornness that improves his friendship with Shrek along the way.

There are multiple ones? :huh:

I love the original and the second. The original just gets a higher score because it was the OG.

3 was good but pushing it. 4 was fun but almost killed Shrek for me.

The musical though? Fucking LOVE IT. Favorite song is Fiona's song "I Know It's Today".

nutterwithasolderingiron

for me, the order is 2, forever after, 1 then 3. 

let me explain. 

1 is good but the emotional stakes seem a bit small and honestly, i dont think it's aged all too well.

2 is fantastic. best by far. the stakes are high, the action scenes ramp up nicely

3 is trash. i dont even remember much about it other than shrek having some cringeworthy lines and fiona being almost absent for 60% of the movie. which for me is a shame because fiona is one of the best characters. 

forever after is fanficy but i love it. fiona as an ogre warrior princess just works great. the action scenes feel big and the plot, while kinda cheesy, just works. 

p.s. i always thought ogre fiona was cute. 

Gentle Giant

I think I’ve only seen the first 2 movies. I liked them both. Don’t remember if I liked one more than the other. When Shrek first came out I took my mom to see it. It was around the time my dad died. She doesn’t usually like animated movies but enjoyed Shrek very much. She said it helped her cope with his death.

RoseGoesToYale

There's a missing option... "I hate the Shrek franchise with a passion"

I recently watched all four movies with a few friends, so here's my concise opinion on each one.

Shrek- a true classic. I have so much trivia I can barely watch with anyone anymore. Considering the history between Disney and Jeffrey Katzenberg, it makes the fairy tale satire interesting and adds a whole new layer (ha) to the story. (For the record, I prefer Antz to A Bug's Life) It's a subversive love story that children will continue to watch as the years go on, and adults will enjoy with them. 

Shrek 2- completely surpasses the already wonderful first. It's witty, romantic, shows a lot of new characters and adds growth to the ones we've already come to know. And, as people have said, "I Need A Hero" is perfect. Maybe my favorite scene in a movie. 

Shrek the Third- eh. The comedy goes out the window for this one. It SHOULD be an engaging story. Shrek's journey into fatherhood on the surface is a fun idea, but he's so unlikeable here that it's hard to root for him. Also, the song choices decline and don't fit. This is disappointing because the soundtracks in the first two films are seamless.

Shrek Forever After- a pleasant surprise. It is by no means as good as the first two, but I can say with confidence that it's the only Shrek movie to make me cry. When Shrek is disappearing, he says to Fiona, "You know what the best part of today was? I got the chance to fall in love with you all over again." The comedy is charming. Not hilarious, but not annoying like Shrek the Third. It came out when I was 10, so I doubted it was that good until I rewatched it. I didn't hate it.

...I have too much time on my hands.

• 2 months later...

Shrek 2 obviously! It has good villains, it's funny and there are genuinely sad or moving moments. The first Shrek did a great job parodying the fairytale but the second one made its own. 

short life

Shrek 1 + Shrek 2 are both as good as each other for me. I even own a copy of Shrek 2 on DVD I got for $5 at Coles (I remember when DVDs were like $20 each at cheapest... now with Netflix that's changed. Also RIP Blockbuster and Video Ezy I used to go there as a kid a lot.)

Shrek 3 is bland, and Forever After one is good but not as good as the first two.

Shrek 1 is truly the best movie. I love it so much. The humour is great, the story is great, and it's just a pretty chill story in general. I really like the character development of Shrek, where he learns throughout the movie they he can be loved for who he is and stuff. The characters are all so memorable and lovable, and the journey of the characters is really cool. It really subverts expectations, which was a newer concept, so it was even more interesting for that. I could go on, but I'll just say it's a cinematic masterpiece.  Love it so much.

Shrek 2 is also REALLY good, the best sequel ever created. It's a good continuation of the story, where Shrek has to deal with society's thoughts on him. The story is just as good, with awesome villians, cool adventures, that epic scene at the end and all that jazz. It really lives up to the expectation of the first, and it does it with a bang. Love it lots. Also a cinematic masterpiece. 

Shrek 3 was pretty eh, honestly. This is the point where it felt like they were just starting to milk the franchise, and they weren't really adding much to the story. It wasn't as funny, and it was kinda lame. I actually didn't even know it existed until years after I watched Shrek Forever After, so it obviously wasn't very good. 4/10. Not as good.

Shrek Forever After was just kind of weird. I watched it, but thought it was just kinda on a whole new note. I like the idea that Shrek wants to go back to his old life where people feared him and he could do whatever, but the story was too serious for me. I liked the humour of the first two, and I remember Shrek Forever After being more serious. I haven't watched it in a long time, but I just remember being less invested in the story. It was half-decent.

For me it'd be 1, 2, Forever After, 3.

(I'm very invested in Shrek, don't judge me.)

• 2 weeks later...

Shrek 1. I remember seeing it when it came out to (i'm old lol) VHS as a kid. After seeing it I borrowed my big sis' CD player and Smash Mouth disk so I could memorize, "I'm a Believer" from the movie. Every time I hear that song now brings me back to 2001 😆

• 1 month later...
J. van Deijck

All of them.

c’mon, Shrek Forever After is the best Shrek movie there is. it’s original, has the best villain, and is lowkey d e e p. other than that, Shrek 1 is OG and flipping fantastic, Shrek 2 is awesome but slightly overrated, and Shrek 3 is complete garbage and no one should watch it.

Archived