Favorite Quotes?

Fighting_For_Us

2 hours ago, GlamRocker said:

"No good deed goes unpunished." They don't know who coined this.

I think it was someone named Anon.

I will leave tomorrow's problems to tomorrow's me -Saitama

and.

People who jump into action aren't thinking about being heroes, they are being true to themselves and those who don't, are also being themselves, but don't label them as trying to be a hero, that only comes to mind because you don't think or don't want that person to help........or you are trying  to convince yourself you don't need a hero.-anonymous

Spoiler

Anonymous is me

FindingTheta

Music is sex for me.

-FindingTheta

Twisted Tempest

"This life ain't like boxing. The guy that gets beat down isn't the one that loses. The guy that can't stand up and face the world afterwards, the guy that just gives up... He is the one that loses."

• 3 weeks later...
Twisted Tempest

"Family is not who you are born with. Family is who you would die for."

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it."

-Karl Marx

As someone with an overload of ambition this quote I can really connect with.

To be nobody-but-yourself — in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else — means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. [. . .] Does that sound dismal? It isn’t. It’s the most wonderful life on earth. Or so I feel."

-e. e. cummings

I don't really like inspirational quotes but as someone who is repulsed by peer pressure and will not do things solely because it is deemed popular it is reassuring in some way. Bizarrely this one was recycled into a Volvo commercial recently I think, which makes me hate it a bit since it suddenly became popular.

Asterion Orestes
On 7/30/2019 at 6:24 AM, Morgan123 said:

pippin-i-didnt-think-it-would-end-this-w

This is not the original text. Maybe Jack@$$ Pete messed it up for his film. The rain/glass quote appears first in a description of one of Frodo's dreams in Tom Bombadil's house & is referred to in the last chapter.

Obviously I wasn't thrilled with P. J.'s screen adaptations.

1 hour ago, Asterion Orestes said:

The rain/glass quote appears first in a description of one of Frodo's dreams in Tom Bombadil's house & is referred to in the last chapter.

To be fair, since they left out all of the Bombadil stuff* if they wanted to include some of the good quotes from those chapters they had to find ways to put them somewhere else.

I liked the movies in general, but did not like some of the things they did in them and disagree with some of the choices they made (and the Hobbit movies were even worse, especially the later two, but even some things in the first one are cringe-worthy). I totally understand people who aren't thrilled with them.

*which would have made the movies even longer, without really moving the story along, so I can see why it was left out - even though it would have been cool to see

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those find it." -Andre Gide

"Truth is on the side of the oppressed." - Malcolm X

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

"I don't take good pictures because I have the kind of beauty that moves." - Ani DiFranco

" ... sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

(White Queen, Alice through the looking glass)

I like the quotes ‘Be yourself. If you try to be someone else, it won’t work. Whatever you do, you aren’t going to make everyone happy.’ (Kimi Raikkonen) and ‘Positive aspects can be found even in negative situations, and it’s possible to use all of this as experience for the future, as a driver and as a man.’ (Ayrton Senna)

"The patterns of life are as fluid as those of this gravel. I smooth the stones - new patterns emerge - chaos becomes order, the wheel turns. And from that order - peace? Perhaps that's the answer? The key isn't winning or losing, it's making the attempt. I may never be what I ought to be, want to be - but how will I know unless I try? Sure, it's scary, but what's the alternative? Stagnation - a safer, more terrible form of death. Not of the body, but of the spirit. An animal knows that it is, and accepts it. A man may know what he is - but he questions. He dreams. He strives. Changes. Grows."

Wolverine (written by Chris Claremont)

It's from Claremon't graphic novel from 1982 and it helped me a lot at the time when I didn't feel so good.

Archived