What is your gender identity?  

1. 1.

• Same as my biological sex
    • Opposite of my biological sex
    • Androgynous
    • Ungendered
    • Something else

This poll is closed to new votes

I consider my gender to be that I am a Gamer. I play lot's of role-playing games, and come from a small community where role-playing play a large role in your Identity. Also the mechanisms within this community pass on the conventions of what it means to be a gamer in much the same way that the concepts of being a man or being a woman are passed on in more traditional societies.

Wow, I never thought of things like being a gamer as a gender...

JokeyFairbobbin
Gender is strongest when it is created and maintained by a homogenous group. This means that gender has greater meaning for small, localized sub-cultures than it does on a national or global scale.

While I'll agree with the first half of that statement, the second half is actually... not always true. There are plenty of examples of small, localized cultures where gender has no meaning at all.

I'm biologically female and my gender matches...I guess. I feel totally at home in this body, but my tastes and interests are a little more in between. I decided I'd rather be female because of convenience(and also, I'd make an ugly boy)...but I don't think I'd mind being a boy. Sometimes I have dreams form the POV of a male character...weird but fun.

!! *is stunned to see there are other Androgynes here* !!

Most people who are curious either assume I'm transgendered / transvestite or ask if I'm "butch" (UK term for a lesbian who acts more masculine than feminine). Confuses the bejeezus out of them when I explain they can either refer to me as he or she, but never it .

I don't wear makeup and I don't wear feminine clothes unless I'm at work, so I can see why people think I'm transwhatever. To me I'm not any particular gender, it's just a continuation of being a tomboy, except there's no word for it.

Adults find it much harder to deal with than children, who just figure that sometimes I'm a girl, sometimes I'm a boy :lol:

November Rain

I identify as male because that's what my biological sex is, and I have no problem with that, although I tend to think of my mind as being fairly androgynous. I don't accurately fit into a typical male cliche; I don't think about sex every five seconds, I'm about as least sporty as one can get, I'm happy to be in touch with my emotions etc. But the same goes for a typical female cliche.

I selected the first option because that's what I identify as. But it's not that important to me, I'm comfortable with who and what I am, yet I still think I'd be just as happy if I was a girl.

I think that most people are indeed born with their gender identity, for better or worse.

So, through my experiences, although I believe that some gender identity is learned, I believe there is a core identity in our brains that is decided either before birth, or at the very latest, in the early years of childhood.

I believe so, too, and moreso, that it is inborn. A person who is truly transsexual cannot be coerced into having a gender identity that matches the one given to them the day that they were born.

Studies in the hypothalamus region of the brain show a correlation between gender identity and brain wiring, and Dr. Money's infamous and tragically failed twins experiment, where he tried to raise a boy as a girl (both twins--the one raised as a girl and the one raised as a boy have since committed suicide) and other things, such as long talks with TS people, lead me to believe that gender identity is, for some, "hard-coded."

Other people are androgynous regarding identity, and that makes sense as well--people can be in-between regarding sexual orientation (e.g., bisexual), or even lack an orientation (such as asexuals). People can be born in between 100% male and 100% female, including genetics.

When someone is born with an gender identity different from their plumbing, transitioning to a gender role and plumbing may be the best path. It is not done so lightly, and that should help indicate that their gender identity is not a choice.

Lots of hugs,

Kelly :)

Couldn't agree more Kelly :)

When someone is born with an gender identity different from their plumbing, transitioning to a gender role and plumbing may be the best path. It is not done so lightly, and that should help indicate that their gender identity is not a choice.

Lots of hugs,

Kelly :)

Just something to add here... What a lot of people don't understand is that a sex change is the treatment for someone with Gender Identity Disorder (as it's technically called). When people hear about someone who believes that they were born the wrong sex they often say "I think those people need help!" Well yes, the sex change IS the help. It's the cure for the condition.

ChildOfTheLight
Other people are androgynous regarding identity, and that makes sense as well--people can be in-between regarding sexual orientation (e.g., bisexual), or even lack an orientation (such as asexuals). People can be born in between 100% male and 100% female, including genetics.

I understand that this is just a model, but the assumption of saying "people can be born in between 100% male and 100% female" is that male and female are intrinsically opposed to each other. They're not. A better model considers them to be perpendicular lines, rather than opposite poles of one line. Then we can talk with clarity about people being significantly both (androgynous; this is how I feel about myself) or neither (some people also call this androgynous; some people call it "undifferentiated" or possibly "neutrois," though as I understand it, the neutrois identity also includes desire to lose physical gender. Charliepyro, I believe, identifies as neutrois, so maybe she can clarify.)

This, too, is just a model, and I don't think it's a complete one by any means. Some people even say there are as many genders as there are people. I'm wary of that because it seems to be making gender explain much more than it should, while explaining nothing about gender. It's just one component of identity.

What is your gender identity?

Same as my biological sex 49% [ 31 ]

Opposite of my biological sex 7% [ 5 ]

Androgynous 17% [ 11 ]

Ungendered 20% [ 13 ]

Something else 4% [ 3 ]

It is amazing that most (51%) people do not have the same gender identity as their biological sex.

Wow. :o

Cool. :)

I don't know; I'm just me. I don't really care a whole ton about gender identity and stuff. I mean, I identify with being female in the experiences I've had and the issues I identify with.

• 8 months later...

I understand that this is just a model, but the assumption of saying "people can be born in between 100% male and 100% female" is that male and female are intrinsically opposed to each other. They're not. A better model considers them to be perpendicular lines, rather than opposite poles of one line. Then we can talk with clarity about people being significantly both (androgynous; this is how I feel about myself) or neither (some people also call this androgynous; some people call it "undifferentiated" or possibly "neutrois," though as I understand it, the neutrois identity also includes desire to lose physical gender. Charliepyro, I believe, identifies as neutrois, so maybe she can clarify.)

This, too, is just a model, and I don't think it's a complete one by any means. Some people even say there are as many genders as there are people. I'm wary of that because it seems to be making gender explain much more than it should, while explaining nothing about gender. It's just one component of identity.

Gahh, sorry, never saw this. :lol:

I don't think I've ever figured out whether my gender includes or excludes masculine or feminine (that is, whether I'm "androgynous" or "undifferentiated," according to COTL's definitions). I tell people stuff like "I change my gender like I change my underwear," which usually takes care of it. :D

Neutrois, I understand, is sort of like the physical version of undifferentiated... as in, a neutrois person wants their body to reflect neither biological sex. I'd wish that, but am a bit too surgery-phobic to actually go through with it. :lol: If no surgery was involved, though, I'd sign up for a hysterectomy/mastectomy AQAP. :wink:

Glitter Spock

I marked "something else" because I consider myself gender-indifferent. I am indifferent to what gender people perceive my self-presentation as. I don't try to present myself as any gender. Thus, I call myself gender-indifferent.

Edit: Oh, and I am femaleshaped. (I'm going to quote Kate Bornstein right now.) But what do penises and vaginas really have to do with gender anyway?

gray_imagination

...I don't know how to answer this. I'm just me. I do what I want regaurdless of what "gender" it ought to be, I'm not neither, but nor am I exacly one or the other. And I'm not really both.

I guess more than anything I identify as a child, I have female parts so I'm a female child, but I am young and not yet fully aculturated to understand what my gender "idenity" is.

So...I think my answer is "yes" :-P

I just default to my sex because its there.

panic_teh_s00prn00b

For me, being female is like being blue-eyed. I don’t think I act blue-eyed… It’s what biology says I am. What I am, not who.

I would sort-of prefer that I was a boy sometimes… although not necessarily because I identify more with males. I would be a boy so that I could possibly be taller, I could be flat and no one would mind, I’d have an easier time about finding clothes that fit right, no ‘lady days,’ people wouldn’t ask me about my perfect wedding, I’d be less likely to be asked out on dates, people wouldn’t feel the need to lower standards for me, and so that people wouldn’t think that I’m out to prove myself when I do un-ladylike things.

I don’t think I act much like a boy or a girl… I’m just me, I guess.

Frigid Pink

I voted "Same as my biological sex."

I wouldn't label myself as a "girl" or "woman" per se. I mean, I'm just me, whatever that is (a human being, a person, an adult). I've been referred to as "lady" before, and I like that :D

I certainly have been told I have a "girly" personality. I'm cool with that, with whatever people want to label me as, as long as it is positive and likeable.

The way I see it is that every individual I interact with has their own perception of me, which may or may not be different from that of others. That makes sense to me because people are different and therefore will elicit different responses from me and, therefore, the experience of my existence by others varies from person to person.

It's one of the things that makes life so interesting ... and overwhelming.

Some post op or at least post ho trannies have told me that before, they were so uncomfortable with their bodies that they didn't experience sexuality. until they became more comfortable with themselves.

La_Gioconda

I identify strongly with my biological gender (female if someone has doubts :wink: ).

I don't think doing things or acting in ways that are usually associated with one gender has so much to do with identification. Gender identification is something that you feel not something that you do.

Glitter Spock
Some post op or at least post ho trannies

Could you please not use the word "tranny"? It's very offensive to refer to transfolk like that.

Some post op or at least post ho trannies

Could you please not use the word "tranny"? It's very offensive to refer to transfolk like that.

But I know one that refers to himself by that term and has no problem with others using it :?:

I am trans. The only people I've ever heard using the term are also trans.

What's offensive about it?

Glitter Spock
I am trans. The only people I've ever heard using the term are also trans.

What's offensive about it?

Sorry; didn't know you were reclaiming it. The only way I've ever heard it used before is offensively by cisgender people.

• 1 year later...

Woah, I was going to make a poll like this. This one is kinda old but why to make a poll when it's already done?

Fourth option works well for me, I believe.

I'm Androgynous. The FtM label didn't quite fit me right anymore and I'm not 100% female. I feel 75% male 25% female. Confusing eh?

Archived