What is your gender identity?  

1. 1.

• Same as my biological sex
    • Opposite of my biological sex
    • Androgynous
    • Ungendered
    • Something else

This poll is closed to new votes

Thanks to discussions at my school about gender identity and expression being added to the nondiscrimination policy, I've been thinking about gender identity a bit. Now, I never really felt too attached to my sex/gender/whatever. If I was suddenly a boy, I wouldn't care (but my boyfriend probably would). It's just some pieces I have no intention of putting to use. But what about this "gender identity" idea? I never thought of my brain as being of any gender; I thought there were no differences based on sex or gender. Apparently, that's wrong. So, where's that lealways reave me? I've always considered myself female because that's what the space between my legs says I am. My brain doesn't really seem girly to me. I don't want to be a boy. So, where does that put me? I know I have androgynous gender expression, but my brain feels "normal" to me, not really like it has any connection to either sex/gender. I guess I don't have the same sort of focus or train of thought that most other girls I've met have. Same with guys. It's sort of like I'm a mental eunuch (not that I'd mind being a physical one).

So, my question is, do you feel like your mental gender matches your biological sex, or is it the opposite? Or are you different--maybe a mix of both? Or is your brain a-gendered to go with your asexuality? Anything else?

ChildOfTheLight

I feel androgynous (that is, I have both masculine and feminine identity.) It's hard to pin down exactly how sometimes, since it's ultimately a question of how I relate to myself, and therefore is quite subjective.

Hi, to answer your question. I regard myself as female, despite having a supposedly male body. Currently starting transitioning into my correct gender. I regard my current sex as a genetic abnormality that can partially be corrected by surgery (sadly not completely corrected).

All my love,

Kate

I'm physically/biologically female. Mentally? well, because I believe that gender is a social construct, it doesn't make sense to me to try to put a gender to my mind, since I don't buy into gender stereotypes anyways, and how else would one determine what gender a mind is, without comparing it to some standard of what is masculine or feminine?

Female, which is my biologoical gender.

Although, I have indeed started to edge toward the androgynous side lately, and thinking that it's ok to feel this way.

I'm biologically female, so I identify as female for the sake of convenience. Really, I don't think gender has much to do with anything, and that it's largely a social construct. Honestly, I feel more ungendered: not very "feminine" but not very "masculine" either. I've always been a bit of a tomboy, but not to any great extent, and I get along pretty well with people of either gender in social situations. Yeah. I'm me. I do whatever makes sense.

JokeyFairbobbin

I'm biologically female, but I reject the notions of masculinity and femininity. I believe gender is a purely social construct, and I reject the one that has been given to me.

=== Statements herein are only opinion ===

It's interesting reading how many people say that it is a social construct. I think that gender identity is a biological thing, myself, from which a social construct has grown. Throughout history and in other species, the two genders have had different tendencies, because the body is built that way.

I think that these things form within the womb, but some anomalies occur which separates the gender identity from the biological gender, leaving ladies such as Kate with a constant feeling that they were supposed to be the other sex, and chances are they were, only something went wrong during development.

And then there are those of us who do not really identify with any gender. I would tentatively include myself in this category at this point. Perhaps we are yet another anomaly, that simply did not develop a gender identity and were only given our identities by this "social construct", so it seems to us to be like this for everyone, but I have been paying attention to this sort of thing lately and I think that most people are indeed born with their gender identity, for better or worse.

(hey, I'm a pagan - of course I think this)

I view myself as male, which is my biological sex. However, whenever I take one of those male/female brain tests I come out as either androgynous or somewhat female.

I checked Same as my biological sex because that's how I identify.

I think I'm much like you describred maco. I am female and I identify as female, but I do think my brain is somewhere in between. I never wanted to be a boy, and I'm very happy looking like I girl. When I was younger I thought for a long time I should have been born a boy, but I was never a tomboy. I don't consider myself "completely" female, but I'm not bothered enough to think up some other name to describe it. I definately have a lot of male traits.

Maco and Lors, the two of you almost exactly described me.

(and I'm female, but androgynous, just in case anyone didn't pick up on that already)

Biologically I am male. As for gender identitiy, I don't believe I have one. What is it to "feel" male or female? The only way I see it is which socially constructed gender norms do you prefer. Since I tend to disregard socially constructed gender norms, I don't believe I actually have a mental "gender identity."

I was reading about this in my psych class today :D

Social learning theory assumes that children learn gender-linked behaviors by observing and imitating and by being rewarded or punished. "Nicole, you're such a good mommy to your dolls"; "Big boys don't cry, Alex." The modeling and rewarding is not done by parents alone, because differences in the way parents rear boys and girls aren't enough to explain gender typing (Lytton and Romney, 1991). Even when their families discourage traditional gender-typing, children organize themselves into "boy worlds" and "girl worlds," each guided by rules for what boys and girls do.

Gender schema theory [...]combines social learning theory with cognition: Out of children's struggles to comprehend the world come concepts, or schemas, including a schema for their own gender (Bem, 1987, 1993). Gender becomes a lens (a schema) through which children view their experiences. By age 3, language forces them to begin organizing their worlds n the basis of gender. English, for example, uses the pronouns he and she; other languages classify objects as masculine ("le train") or feminine ("la table"). Through language, dress, toys, and songs, social learning shapes gender schemas. Children them compare themselves with their concept of gender ("I am male-- thus, masculine, strong, agressive," or "I am female-- therefore, feminine, sweet, and helpful") and adjust their behavior accordingly.

Myers, David G. Exploring Psychology. Hope College: Worth, 1996. 86.

I personally believe that gender identity is a combination of the two, but mostly the gender schema theory. I see it sort of like a train. Gender schema theory leads children to form gender identities based on society, and then when these children are adults and parents, they then pass on these schemas to their children, and thus social learning theory.

I'm a female in all ways.

However, I have a lot of "masculine" interests, like video games, comic books, sci-fi, etc. That is society's identity definition, not mine.

But yeah. I'm a biological female, and I also identify as female. There has never been any doubt in my mind. :/

video games,

actually females are the biggest group of gamers. I can't remember the age range though - maybe 16-24

Still, the public perception is that males play video games, despite the stats.

video games,

actually females are the biggest group of gamers. I can't remember the age range though - maybe 16-24

And are the only computer geeks. We exist, we really do...we're just < 10% of the population at h4x0r conventions and Linux User Groups.....but linuxchix.org is proof there are other girl geeks (even if we're outnumbered)

I don't really know because while I identify as female, which is biologically the case, I identify as a little girl. I have some problems with my body and the fact that I have female parts of my body, but I don't want to be a boy. I am closer to androgynous than anything else I think, but I am a girl, but I want an androgynous body. I am just closer to 4 than 20 years old. I hope that made sense.

video games,

And are the only computer geeks. We exist, we really do...we're just < 10% of the population at h4x0r conventions and Linux User Groups.....but linuxchix.org is proof there are other girl geeks (even if we're outnumbered)

...Hahaha, *high five*

Biologically female, but I believe that my gender identity is androgynous. I've always been a tomboy with an occasional flair for feminism... but I seem to balance between the two. I indentify more with male characters in book, games and movies, and almost always roleplay as a boy in RPGs, but I still feel very much connected to my female side.

video games,

...Hahaha, *high five*

I went to the LUG last night. It was 12.5% female.

I picked "Something else" because I identify as female, but I like to cross-dress as a male and pretend to be male. It's like I swing back and forth between genders without really being androgynous at any time.

It's interesting reading how many people say that it is a social construct. I think that gender identity is a biological thing, myself, from which a social construct has grown. Throughout history and in other species, the two genders have had different tendencies, because the body is built that way.

I think that most people are indeed born with their gender identity, for better or worse.

All during my early childhood I was brought up as an archetypical boy, perhaps to an almost rediculous degree as my parents had rigid beliefs about how the genders behaved. However, before I was old enough to understand such things, I was subconsciously expressing a female gender identity, much to the annoyance of my parents. I wanted to be like my sisters, and used to happily play dolls and skipping games with them. I got annoyed that they could do things that I was not allowed to, because I was a boy.

Even at school I was "feminine" "girlish" "effeminate" etc. and sadly, it got me regularly bullyed. It was only as I got older that I was able to consciously consider who I was, and what gender I wanted, and how I wished to be percieved by others.

Now, I express myself as female most of the time, and I have been told by people, that I act "just like a woman" whatever they may mean.

So, through my experiences, although I believe that some gender identity is learned, I believe there is a core identity in our brains that is decided either before birth, or at the very latest, in the early years of childhood. I had already "learned" female traits as a very young child, before either of my sisters were born, for me to copy.

I have always felt female and always thought I should have been one. And as far as I am aware, there is nowhere I could have learned that from, and I have never been able to "un-learn" it and learn a male gender identity, as much as I would have wished to when I was younger.

All my love,

Kate

It's already the accepted belief that gender is not just a social construct. That's WHY many groups are trying to add gender identity to nondiscrimination policies.

If you've never thought about your gender identity before then it's the same as your biological sex. If it wasn't, you wouldn't be questioning what this gender identity business is about.

I am just like any other human male, except that I am asexual, and roll my eyes about the inane comments that come from the mouths of my fellow men. I also find sports boring, except for playing baseball and going bowling. I hate watching sports on TV, though.

I've studied Gender pretty extensively in my anthropology focus. I've found that gender identities have been severely weakened in this country. This may also have caused people to rely more heavily on their sexual orientation to demark their Identity, since gender and sexuality have always been closely related.

Gender is strongest when it is created and maintained by a homogenous group. This means that gender has greater meaning for small, localized sub-cultures than it does on a national or global scale.

I consider my gender to be that I am a Gamer. I play lot's of role-playing games, and come from a small community where role-playing play a large role in your Identity. Also the mechanisms within this community pass on the conventions of what it means to be a gamer in much the same way that the concepts of being a man or being a woman are passed on in more traditional societies.

Archived