hm76

Always Being Single

Acing It
19 minutes ago, oldgeeza said:

"you always go out of your way to be helpful, you do your best to look after me, but you're ugly, you're old, you're desperate so I went with you, just to prove I could still pull"

Jeez, that's awful. You've run into some really ugly (in a differnt sense) women who don't deserve someone who's kind and helpful. I'm sorry to hear what you went through.

I don't believe women only think about a man's wallet either. That's a very gross generalisation. Sure there are women like hat just like there are players and awful men, but there are some lovely women and men as well. Otherwise any man without a lot of money would be single, and that's clearly not the case. Equally, if all men were b*astards, what would that say about all those women in a (fulfilling) relationship.

There are just a lot of awful people out there, alonside the good ones, and I've had my fair share as well.

• Like 4

sallimae76
18 hours ago, Greyman said:

I am an attorney, and I support myself. This is bullshit, and I was raised in the ghetto. I have NEVER asked a man for money/ never expected a man to take care of me.

• Like 4

oldgeeza
1 hour ago, Acing It said:

Jeez, that's awful. You've run into some really ugly (in a differnt sense) women who don't deserve someone who's kind and helpful. I'm sorry to hear what you went through.

I don't believe women only think about a man's wallet either. That's a very gross generalisation. Sure there are women like hat just like there are players and awful men, but there are some lovely women and men as well. Otherwise any man without a lot of money would be single, and that's clearly not the case. Equally, if all men were b*astards, what would that say about all those women in a (fulfilling) relationship.

There are just a lot of awful people out there, alonside the good ones, and I've had my fair share as well.

There's good and bad in all people, it's just finding the good ones out there. There's also more men that have scammed women than there are women that have scammed men, in all the relationships I was in, although not that many, I was never scammed for money, mainly because I had and still have very little money

• Like 3

Anonymously asexual
2 hours ago, oldgeeza said:

There's good and bad in all people, it's just finding the good ones out there. There's also more men that have scammed women than there are women that have scammed men, in all the relationships I was in, although not that many, I was never scammed for money, mainly because I had and still have very little money

Thanks for the kind reply. Unhealthy traits like anger and narcissism are taught or learned. Nobody is born with them.

daveb

Locking thread until the forum moderator can look at it.

DaveB

Hot Box co-mod, Celebrations mod

SkyenAutowegCaptain

Unlocking this. Can we please cut the bickering and stay on topic. Skycaptain moderator Older Asexuals 

• Like 2

Anonymously asexual

I don't appreciate  my posts being deleted.

will123

Moderators have that right. I've been a moderator on other forums and have deleted numerous 'inappropriate' posts. Normally people dont complain when the reason for the post was deleted are given.

Can we go back to our normally scheduled programming?

• Like 2

Rockblossom

I always knew I didn't want to be married, but there was a lot of social pressure to "pair up" when I was young.   I resisted, but it seemed like everyone around me was in the conspiracy to pair everyone off.  It always seemed to eventually get to the same question:  "Aren't you afraid of being alone when you get old?  I eventually started to counter with:  "Why? Did you only get married because you were afraid of being alone?"  It's funny how some thought their question was fine but mine was offensive.  :rolleyes:

This is a couple of years old, but still relevant:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/facts-for-features/2017/single-americans-week.html

110.6 million The number of unmarried people in America age 18 and older in 2016. This group made up 45.2 percent of all U.S. residents age 18 and older.

19.5 million:  The number of unmarried U.S. residents age 65 and older in 2016. These seniors made up 17.7 percent of all unmarried people age 18 and older.

As one of those 19.5 million, I can say that I'm still perfectly happy alone, and I don't expect to change.  Of course, many of my peers are alone because they have lost a spouse to divorce or death. They may or may not be happy to be alone, but "pairing up" is no guarantee that you will not be alone when older.

will123

(biting my tongue as I type this)

As a male I wasn't impressed with your original post either, but let it slide.

will123
9 minutes ago, Rockblossom said:

I always knew I didn't want to be married, but there was a lot of social pressure to "pair up" when I was young.   I resisted, but it seemed like everyone around me was in the conspiracy to pair everyone off.  It always seemed to eventually get to the same question:  "Aren't you afraid of being alone when you get old?  I eventually started to counter with:  "Why? Did you only get married because you were afraid of being alone?"  It's funny how some thought their question was fine but mine was offensive.  :rolleyes:

This is a couple of years old, but still relevant:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/facts-for-features/2017/single-americans-week.html

19.5 million: The number of unmarried U.S. residents age 65 and older in 2016. These seniors made up 17.7 percent of all unmarried people age 18 and older.

As one of those 19.5 million, I can say that I'm still perfectly happy alone, and I don't expect to change.  Of course, many of my peers are alone because they have lost a spouse to divorce or death, and they may or may not be happy to be alone, but "pairing up" is no guarantee that you will not be alone when older.

I've lived 'alone' most of my life. Sure I had renters in my house from '86 to '98. Even then there were stretches when I was the sole occupant. From '98 to 2010 I was solo. I never had someone that I shared my bed with even though I had a female friend over to my home. That was never a big deal to me when I thought I was straight. After I identified as asexual being single never entered my mind.

• Like 1

Anonymously asexual
8 minutes ago, will123 said:

(biting my tongue as I type this)

As a male I wasn't impressed with your original post either, but let it slide.

Could care less what you're opinion of me is.

will123
Just now, Greyman said:

Could care less what you're opinion of me is.

PERFECT!

• Like 1

Staffy

Referring to the original topic: I am over 70, have always been single and celibate. I have had time to pursue my career fully, to give time to other people, not just my friends and now have time volunteer. I have friends all over the world, many in a similar position. The only time I had any problems was with work in the 1980’s and early ‘90’s, as did many others.

Do not take any notice of what others say to you, just fill your life with things you enjoy and things you can offer. I often am the recipient of others’ relationship problems, and reckon I’m the lucky one!

• Like 4