Coping, hoping, doping and shopping. Do you do it?

RakshaTheCat

Alawyn-Aebt
3 hours ago, InDefenseOfPOMO said:

However, I do feel confident in saying that their work is sociological, not epistemological. In other words, "truth is culturally constructed" is an assertion about the way people behave, not the nature of knowledge/reality.

Certainly some of it is purely sociological/anthropological, which is one of Postmodernism's strong points in its openness towards social constructs, but Postmodernism does have, just as other major philosophical movements have, branches of thought that extend into everything. Unfortunately I must admit I am not very knowledgeable in philosophy, but I do know Postmodernism extends past the purely sociological/anthropological side.

3 hours ago, InDefenseOfPOMO said:

Such sources often have titles like "Fashionable Nonsense" that tell you right away that postmodernism is probably not going to get a fair trial.

It is true that the more nuanced philosophical arguments often get buried under these illogical attacks of name-calling without any real philosophical substance behind them.

I have a strong religious belief that hoarding money that you don't need is inherently unethical.  If you have enough to help others, then you have a responsibility to do so.

This, in response to the original question on this thread, no, I don't hope to someday become rich.  It would be a betrayal of my most deeply held values.

FindingTheta
On 7/25/2019 at 6:21 PM, Marcin said:
  • Do you struggle with `earning your right to live` and being constantly told by society that you are worthless garbage unless you find a way to have a lot of money?
  • Do you hope you will be rich one day?
  • Do you dope yourself by using various performance-enhancing or performance-replacing substances?
  • And finally, do you do a lot of shopping, to  justify your constant race for more money, and of course, for the glory of almighty GDP? 

1. Nope. There was a time when I defined success by how others saw me, now I find that success means how you see yourself.

2. Hell no. I'm happy to have enough to retire on and that's it. Being wealthy is an isolating experience.

3. Nope. Why should I wreck my body only for someone else to benefit from my productivity (e.g. taking provigil to put in more hours at a job), or go beyond my natural limit because I want to compete with Joe McWhogivesashit? I'm cool with what I have to work with, and the goal is to make the best of it.

4. I used to in my 20's, until I realized that problems within capitalism won't have a solution if there is money to be made perpetuating the problem. Look at marketing, it feeds off on the insecurities of others in order to make a profit, and it's been conditioned into most of us since we were kids. By falling for the status trap we shape ourselves into the consumers capitalism wants us to be, rather than the person we shape in the image that is the most pleasing to us.

Archived