Smell of gasoline

RoseGoesToYale

Smell of gasoline  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the smell of gasoline?

• Yes
    • Ew, no!
    • I can't smell anything

This poll is closed to new votes

RoseGoesToYale

I'm one of those weirdos that thinks gasoline smells quite pleasant. Any other fellow weirdos out there?

Edit: Since it's gone that way anyway, feel free to discuss any other unusual smell preferences!

I think it is one of those odors that is pleasant in small doses, but after a period of time it becomes unpleasant. 

I like it too! I also like strange smells, such as the smell of new Apple products (they don't smell like that anymore unfortunately) and also the smell inside the old building on my High School campus. Very specific, I know. 😁

lowLifeLoner

I love it although can get a head ache if I'm around it too long. I also love the smell of gunpowder, reminds me of fire works when I was younger, its one of the reasons I still love shooting these days. 

Captain_Tass

My dad loves it but it gets way too overwhelming way too quickly for me.

everywhere and nowhere

I rather like it, but I'm ideologically opposed to car overuse. I believe that public transportation should be promoted with "sticks and carrots" and that at least in the cities people should only drive if they absolutely have to (and should be encouraged to give their friends, neighbours and family members a lift, because cars with one person inside are the worst) and public transportation should be considered the default mode of long-distance travel.

I can't drive. I have rather poor reflex, can't spend a minute without considering a lot of issues, and therefore can't concentrate, and besides: I find driving terrifying because I don't want to be able to harm innocent people. Because of this I refuse to ever again try driving. As a person who can't drive, I'm a member of a not so small minority - it's not true that "driving is easy", that "almost anyone can learn it", that "being really unable to drive is super rare". No, probably every tenth person can't learn driving on a good enough level and it's nothing to be ashamed of - some people can't paint and some people can't drive, yet only the latter are ridiculed. In fact, not driving because one finds it very hard to learn should be praised as a sign of responsibility and not perceived as "giving up". And national and local authorities in every part of the world should consider it an obligation to provide good-quality public transportation, at the very least for the always-exisiting group of people who can't or don't want to be drivers.

Anthracite_Impreza

It's my favourite smell, along with diesel, fresh oil, grease and burnt rubber (the kind when you've smoked them, not set them on fire) ❤️

It's been kind of a long time since I smelled gasoline. I don't really remember when it was, and I surely don't remember what it smells like. I probably dislike the smell though. 

I remember liking it as a kid.  I'm rarely exposed to it nowadays, because I'm no longer in a household that uses a car.

Neutral Charge
2 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

I'm one of those weirdos that thinks gasoline smells quite pleasant. Any other fellow weirdos out there?

when i was a kid my dad had to leave cause we were poor so he had to go work outside the country, i have distinct memories of hugging his cloths that smelled like gazoline cause he worked on cars a lot, in the present the smell still brings back feelings of familiarity =))) Yes! I have always liked it as well

AceMissBehaving

I hate it so much just reading the title made my nose sad 😭

3 hours ago, CBC said:

I really hate it, but I like other weird smells. Some of my favourites are pressure-treated wood and new rubber tires.

The lumber section of hardware stores always smells so good!

I love the smell of freshly polished latex clothing. Hand washing vast amounts of it after a fashion show sucks, but having that smell all through my house makes up for it.

ElasticPlanet
1 hour ago, AceMissBehaving said:

I love the smell of freshly polished latex clothing.

Funny that, because the smell of latex is pretty much the only thing about it that I don't really like. Much prefer the smell of PVC - as it used to be in the 1980s before so many of the plasticisers they used to put in it got blacklisted. 😵

Another early memory is that my primary school had a duplicator. Photocopying must have still been too expensive at the time! The printouts were in a sort of purple ink, and it smelled amazingly nize for a few minutes after they'd handed sheets out to the whole class... but the smell didn't last long and it probably wasn't good for us anyway!

AceMissBehaving
11 minutes ago, ElasticPlanet said:

Funny that, because the smell of latex is pretty much the only thing about it that I don't really like. Much prefer the smell of PVC - as it used to be in the 1980s before so many of the plasticisers they used to put in it got blacklisted.

I know exactly the smell you mean and it was magical 

SorryNotSorry

Funny, the smell of gasoline evokes a color for me and at least one other synesthete I've met. For her, it was "baby-shit green". For me, it was a transparent, crystalline sky blue.

Years later, I would find out aviation gasoline actually is dyed blue to distinguish it from other grades of gasoline.

Captain_Tass
19 minutes ago, Woodworker1968 said:

Funny, the smell of gasoline evokes a color for me and at least one other synesthete I've met. For her, it was "baby-shit green". For me, it was a transparent, crystalline sky blue.

Years later, I would find out aviation gasoline actually is dyed blue to distinguish it from other grades of gasoline.

Interesting! For me, it's more of a dark yellow-ish color.

Yes. I also like the smell of new asphalt paving and freshly copied papers. What I cannot stand is a cherry smell.

I do not like the smell of gasoline, however, I enjoy some fountain pen inks and fresh journaling pages.

RoseGoesToYale

When I was little my dad went into work on the weekends sometimes and he took me. The cubicle part of the building had the most distinct smell, hard to describe... like old coffee, burnt sugar, plastic that's been overheating (back when it was all CRT screens), and something else. But it was so pleasant. I call it 90s office smell. I wonder if I'll ever smell it again.

FindingTheta

I do like the smell of new electronics, but gasoline? I can't stop thinking about the harmful chemicals in the vapors whenever I fuel up.

I find the smell of gasoline rather sickening. That and/or the exhaust of some older, poorly-maintained vehicles I've been in would permeate the interior. Also, there have been times when I passed by a nearby gas station when the fuel truck was there filling multiple reservoirs. WHOO!

I like the smell of fresh house paint but my mom does not.

My mom really likes the smell of gasoline. I like it too kind of.

(Vomits)

Nope!

Grumpy Alien

Love it!

I don't like it, which can be kind of awkward since I do really like cars. But then, really, I don't like most things that I can smell strongly (I have a poor sense of smell), so that's hardly unusual.

Yes! 

MerePeasant

Yes, I quite like the smell of petrol. For an extended amount of time it would probably start to smell less pleasant.

J. van Deijck

no, it rather irritates me. but then, I have a strong sense of smell, so maybe that's why.

[X] meh

Archived