I Hate My Birthday (possible trigger warning)

blunose2772

blunose2772

It's getting around that time of the year that I'm supposed to celebrate another year of life. Why? Why is this even a thing? I get kids looking forward to it but as you get older why should you care?

I can't speak for everyone but my birthday reminds me I'm 1 year older with nothing to show for it. One more year of not completing any goals. One more year of misery and torment . Not to mention what I've come to call the "birthday curse". Something bad always happens to me on my birthday. Lowlights include getting smacked in face with a baseball at a St. Louis Cardinals game, getting run off the road by a semi and nearly rolling my car, had my wallet stolen by a shipmate while I was in the Navy, and the granddaddy of them all the death of a cousin I was very close with going as far as referring to him as a brother. 

So ya, not looking forward to that day. 

Anyone else hate their birthday?

Superunknown

Oh gosh the birthday curse does not sound good. Sorry to hear your birthdays have gone so badly :(

I wouldn’t say I hate my birthday, but it’s gotten to be something I don’t care about very much. I used to really like my birthday when I was younger, as you pointed out. Honestly it does seem like another day now, with me expecting to be happier but just not. 

It kind of seems they get progressively worse. Last year, while not nearly as bad as the birthdays you’ve described, was quite a mess for me. The entire week was just going downhill, and it went straight down that day. Misgendered, not eating enough, getting sick, among others. 

Hope your birthday this year goes well without anything bad happening? Maybe this will be the year the birthday curse will decide to leave!

And regardless, here’s some cake. 

9909883_134.jpg

Your birthdays look almost like cursed days indeed.

I don't hate mine per se... I just don't see the point in counting the years anymore.

New Year's day and Valentine's day are already bad (life goals and love life) so shouldn't we at least celebrate the fact that we have survived one more year?

Sounds like a rough year. Looking back isn't always fun. And it isn't only birthdays, New Years does the same thing for me. The real worst is when the years start blurring together and you can't separate events over time.

I appreciate birthdays because they can be fun if you let them. When I was younger, it was more of a party thing, but these days I get all of my nieces and nephews, cousin, grandmother, etc, and really throw a party for them. Don't really care about the birthday itself, but I'll take advantage of it for a good day. I'll be 40 next year, so that is going to suck, though.

Rare Aztec Whstling Chickn

I don't hate it, but I don't really care for all the attention. It's just another day really.

51 minutes ago, Una Salus Victus said:

I don't hate it, but I don't really care for all the attention. It's just another day really.

Same here.

The more birthdays I live through, the wronger my body gets. How could I not hate them? 

Pinball Wizard

I'm beginning to hate my birthday. Although I'm young, I'm very much like "I don't want attention drawn to the fact that I'm closer to death". When you're not a kid anymore, family members, everyone doesn't really give a s*** anymore, and I guess I really felt that in my preteens and late teens. It's all about kids, and then when you stop being one, it's like "next". Now as such a birthday looms closer, it's all a pointless joke, and I'm kinda dreading it. I wish counting your age wasn't a thing--you never had to declare it on any documents, no one judged you on it and assumed your life around your number. On a more positive beat, I get to fill up on sugar and already have the excuse there.

I don't care very much one way or another.  I don't actively dislike my birthday, but I'm not the kind of person who makes it a big deal.  

4 hours ago, PoeciMeta said:

The more birthdays I live through, the wronger my body gets. How could I not hate them? 

That's rough.  I understand how you feel.

1 hour ago, Pinball Wizard said:

I'm beginning to hate my birthday. Although I'm young, I'm very much like "I don't want attention drawn to the fact that I'm closer to death". When you're not a kid anymore, family members, everyone doesn't really give a s*** anymore, and I guess I really felt that in my preteens and late teens. It's all about kids, and then when you stop being one, it's like "next". Now as such a birthday looms closer, it's all a pointless joke, and I'm kinda dreading it. I wish counting your age wasn't a thing--you never had to declare it on any documents, no one judged you on it and assumed your life around your number. On a more positive beat, I get to fill up on sugar and already have the excuse there.

Oh yeah, this too... *existential dread*

1 hour ago, Ardoise said:

That's rough.  I understand how you feel.

Thanks 😔

Archived