What Are Some of your Weirdest Habits?

We all have them. Some habits are good, some are bad (this one is subjective within reason).

Do you have any childhood habits you were never able to outgrow?

What are some of your weirdest habits?

-This one is probably due to my slight OCD. Often times when buying items, I often must buy them in pairs. 

There is literally no reasoning for this one other than it being a weird (and at times costly) quirk. 

I have managed to gain control of it, but still occasionally see myself doing it. 

-I can't drink hot drinks unless they are barely lukewarm. I know. It defeats the purpose. 

-I travel a lot. If learning a new language, I just have to learn the curse words first. 

Needless to say, I can cuss like a sailor in about 15 languages. Horrific for breaking the ice, so I didn't think that one through. 

I must schedule everything and it must stay that way. For instance, showers are always at 6 in the morning, unless I wash my hair, in which case it's usually at 8.30 in the evening. And the water must be cold, too.

Chocolatastic AroAce

I'm always afraid of running out of something. So when ever anything gets even half empty I feel like I need to stock up on said item just in case....even when it is something I rarely use. This becomes more bizarre when you find out I'm also the first person to throw something away I think I don't need.....then end up needing that thing days later. My mind just can't seem to make up it's mind.

I wear a coat even in the summer because I just always feel cold.

I eat dessert first...because why the heck not?

firewallflower

I mark syllables (on the fingers of one hand, so in fives) when reading. I have no idea why, or when this started (fairly sure it was after I'd already been reading for a while), but I do it. And don't like putting the book down unless I'm at a multiple of 5. :P It's bizarre.

I also tear my hair, which is definitely a habit I should break.

-I bite down on my fingers a lot, I don't even realize I'm doing it a lot of times.

-Sometimes I randomly get up and pace around my house for no reason.

-I must look like a tweaker whenever I cross a street or a parking lot because I look both ways over and over the whole time I'm crossing to make absolutely sure there aren't any cars coming and I often look behind me as well to make sure nobody is following me.

I walk in circles when I'm bored, thinking, talking, and brushing my teeth. It would annoy my parents while we wait in lines. 

CelesteAdAstra

The weird facial twitches I'm doing since approx half a year. I don't know anymore if they're part of my OCD that 's always been there and "blessed" me with constantly changing compulsions, or if I actually developed a motor tic disorder...

Some more OCD stuff that makes me touch certain surfaces again and again with different fingers until it feels right.

Twirling my hair, picking at stuff, rubbing smooth things.

Fidgeting with my ears. I grew up in a violent home where we couldn't acknowledge bad things going on. If I always had my hands by my ears I could plug them without being noticed. Now people look at me weird when I'm doing it as an adult.

I MUST make the exact same moves, the exact same number of times when I wash my hands. When I mess it up, I try to ''fix'' the first handwash by adding the moves I think I forgot, and then do it all over again. It's basically a choregraphy. 

I can't spin counterclockwise. The other way around is just fine. 

When I step on something with a certain texture (mostly dry leaves, roots or small rocks) I have to step on something similar again with the other foot to ''balance'' the feeling in my feet. If I can't, I step on something hard with both feet so the sensation is kind of balanced anyway. 

Not OCD, autism. 

13 hours ago, PoeciMeta said:

When I step on something with a certain texture (mostly dry leaves, roots or small rocks) I have to step on something similar again with the other foot to ''balance'' the feeling in my feet. If I can't, I step on something hard with both feet so the sensation is kind of balanced anyway. 

Not OCD, autism. 

I don't have OCD or autism, but I kind of understand that one. I've always been a very tactile person, and I always liked to check out different textures against both hands or feet, especially as a kid. I admit that I probably don't do it to the same extent that you describe, but it doesn't sound too strange to me.

abandoned-account

kind of gross, but a big one with me is scratching and picking at my scalp and watching the dead skin flakes fall out...

Messing with my ears. I tend to touch them a lot, probably as a comfort thing.

I count sixteenth notes when stressed or in pain. It helps me focus on something and calm down.

I occasionally swear in Swedish if I need to swear but can't use English swear words at the time.

Conducting music while I listen to it.

Messing with my face because I've always had messed up skin. 

Grumpy Alien

Chronic hair twirler here

I used to bite my nails. But I wasn't stressed out or anything else. I would eat them because I enjoyed the taste. :blink: I don't do it anymore because your fingers hurt afterwards.

8 hours ago, Vee. said:

kind of gross, but a big one with me is scratching and picking at my scalp and watching the dead skin flakes fall out...

4 hours ago, Aldis Friedman said:

I used to bite my nails. But I wasn't stressed out or anything else. I would eat them because I enjoyed the taste. :blink: I don't do it anymore because your fingers hurt afterwards.

Same, and I've also taken the bad habit of biting off the skin of my lips and inside my mouth. 

I don't bite my nails anymore either, but the bits of skin around them get pulled at. 

On 7/21/2019 at 1:14 PM, Aldis Friedman said:

And the water must be cold, too.

Gah. I tried a cold shower once. I am just not built for it, haha. 

I know so many that swear by them. Yes. I am that guy that takes 20 minutes to get in the cold water at a pool or beach, until a friend gets fed up and just pushes me in.

When I go buy a small amount of groceries, I just put them in my sleeves. People seem to find that weird for some reason.

I only stopped doing this as it caused arguments in relationships. 

But used to freeze my milk, as loved drinking it with slush in it. 

It just happens that if someone opened the freezer door on the refrigerator, they would get doused with the ice cold drink if they opened it too quickly.

I had to compromise on that one, as I did agree it was a bit of a dick move on my part. Plus I felt horrible about it. 

That habit lasted since childhood to early adulthood. 

2 hours ago, PoeciMeta said:

Same, and I've also taken the bad habit of biting off the skin of my lips and inside my mouth. 

I don't bite my nails anymore either, but the bits of skin around them get pulled at. 

Ah yes, I used to do that too! And it hurt a lot afterwards. I'm glad I eventually stopped.

28 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Gah. I tried a cold shower once. I am just not built for it, haha. 

I know so many that swear by them. Yes. I am that guy that takes 20 minutes to get in the cold water at a pool or beach, until a friend gets fed up and just pushes me in.

Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone! I like doing that because it makes me feel really awake in the mornings. One day, a classmate asked me how I managed to be alert during 8 am lectures and I didn't even dare to tell her how I did it. 😂

I used to take showers that were so hot my skin would be red when I got out, then I found out hot water is bad for your skin so I try not to do that anymore.

Yeah, I have dated women who could boil eggs in their bath water o_O

I'm obviously exaggerating, but the water was uncomfortably hot. 

I think at 60 degrees or so, you're flirting with fire regarding third degree burns. Mind you I hope there are no humans that can handle this.

I can't cross a crosswalk until I make eye contact with a stopped motorist. 

This one is due to experience. I almost got run over by a turning car.

I also almost got run over by a turning freight truck who cut his turn too tight, and likely didn't see me as his trailer wheels got dangerously close to me, forcing me to jump out of the way.

Almost got hit by a car racing past a stop sign the didn't see.

You get the point. If we don't make eye contact, I assume you didn't see me.

I will never use a urinal if I can possibly avoid it. In public restrooms, I always go into a stall and use a toilet. 

Two reasons for this: I don't particularly like standing next to another bloke where both of us have our private parts poking out; and secondly, if using a urinal, it splashes and goes all over your legs and trousers! It amazes me how most men are either not bothered by this or do not even notice that it happens.

6 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I can't cross a crosswalk until I make eye contact with a stopped motorist. 

This one is due to experience. I almost got run over by a turning car.

I also almost got run over by a turning freight truck who cut his turn too tight, and likely didn't see me as his trailer wheels got dangerously close to me, forcing me to jump out of the way.

Almost got hit by a car racing past a stop sign the didn't see.

You get the point. If we don't make eye contact, I assume you didn't see me.

I can relate to this. I'm reluctant to cross roads unless the green man is lit up. Can handle it a bit better now if there are no cars on the road. 

1 hour ago, Ortac said:

I will never use a urinal if I can possibly avoid it. In public restrooms, I always go into a stall and use a toilet. 

Two reasons for this: I don't particularly like standing next to another bloke where both of us have our private parts poking out; and secondly, if using a urinal, it splashes and goes all over your legs and trousers! It amazes me how most men are either not bothered by this or do not even notice that it happens.

It's one of the worst designs for many of them, in increasing splash backs. 

Some have partitions which are better, but so many in efforts to save space, force you to pee in constricted spaces. 

Worst ones are the troths into the ground you pee into against a ceramic wall. 

Usually these are the worst smelling washrooms. 

1 hour ago, Eutierria said:

I can relate to this. I'm reluctant to cross roads unless the green man is lit up. Can handle it a bit better now if there are no cars on the road

Yeah, after being hit by two cars, I don't think a third time would be a charm so have tried avoiding it. 

I almost got smoked a double decker in Liverpool, UK.

Still in my Canada mode looking left to right, I started to dart, then heard screeching tires, and hats off to the driver who somehow managed to avoid hitting me. He whizzed past me at at least 60km/h. 

It took me a couple of seconds to fully register my near death experience. 

Needless to say, I never made that mistake again in any other country I visited with vehicles driving in the opposite side.

Archived