a-spec flag concept

eorion

I made this basic design as an aspec (not asexual specifically) flag concept - was wondering what people think of it? ♥

Black - lack of attraction
purple- asexuality
green-aromanticism
white - community
blue - aplatonic
grey- the spectrum of identities 

tumblr_puxznt7P9a1vxi8g3o1_540.png

New note - can people who put their gender or pronouns as jokes not interact? im trans and not into that casual transphobia

letusdeleteouraccounts

I don’t think the colors go together honestly and I’m also not sure why the blue is needed. The grey would better respresent “grey identities” than “the spectrum of identities.” I think the flag would be better if the blue was cut off and the grey was placed in between the green and purple and if the hues were done in a way from dark to light (top to bottom, black to white)

I don't find the ascribed meanings of the flag appealing, since it doesn't make sense to reprint purple as "asexuality" when in the previous flag it stood for community, and now use white for community, when it previosuly stood for sexuality. Also, if black stands for lack of attraction, the I don't see why there are several colors randomly stating what specific lacks of attraction there are.

It's a very long flag, and the change of which colours mean what seems a bit confusing to me. I don't get what the blue means (that might just be me that's uneducated, though).

It would be neat to have more colours in the aven flag, blue and green sure makes it look less like a gloom-fest, but that flag is already made and accepted for what it is.

Isn't this what the ace flag is for? I do think our flag is gloomy and in need of more color, but I don't see the necessity for more flags. Do aces have more flags than any other community?

letusdeleteouraccounts
2 hours ago, Firefly8 said:

Isn't this what the ace flag is for? I do think our flag is gloomy and in need of more color, but I don't see the necessity for more flags. Do aces have more flags than any other community?

They wanted this flag to represent the ace and aro communities as one

1 hour ago, Star Lion said:

They wanted this flag to represent the ace and aro communities as one

Oh! I misunderstood. Yeah, I've always thought there should be a green stripe in the ace flag to represent the (a)romantic orientations. It's different for us with the split attraction that other orientations may not think about. The flag could use more color anyway.

6 hours ago, Firefly8 said:

How's this for those of us that are aro ace, white with a large NO! in the middle?

14 hours ago, Marian the Herbalist said:

It would be neat to have more colours in the aven flag

Not for the aven flag :) looks nice as it is, this is an idea for an a-spec flag

13 hours ago, Ardoise said:

It's nice, but we already have a flag.

Ace people have a flag, aros have a flag, there's not any commonly used flag for the a-spec community. non sam aros, and allo aros are aspec so using the ace flag for the entire community is inaccurate :) 

But yeah! To clarify - 

Not a replacement of the ace flag, it's intended as a flag to use to mean a-spec. Using an ace flag to refer to the aspec community is erasive to alloaros and non sam aros :) 

I disagree with the concept of "a-spec" to begin with. A misconception shouldn't be boosted by a flag. I don't really have an opinion on colours because that's not something I'm interested in.

30 minutes ago, Homer said:

I disagree with the concept of "a-spec" to begin with. A misconception shouldn't be boosted by a flag.

Misconception? 
What's wrong with a-spec?

1 hour ago, eorion said:

Misconception? 
What's wrong with a-spec?

Asexuality = no sexual attraction. "No" is not a spectrum :)

Also I'm not really sure if people can distinguish between all the pride flags there are. The LGBT+ one is fairly well-known, but I don't think that this applies to the others, especially outside LGBT+ environments.

Edit: If you want to have a flag with that many stripes, arranging them vertically might be the way to go.

... everyone gets a flag is sorta a tumblr thing, at least for me it falls into that basket

I mean, yes, I get that borrowing Uncle John's tractor feels a bit like you owe him a favor, or seems like folk'll mistake your farm from Uncle John's.

but, I mean... 'I've got a flag', and it's got this triangle thing going on? and I'm fine I guess with that but then there's also that skinny stripe which I'm not a fan of and there's no way for those to interact 'right' and it's all too much.

four stipes, simple message, doesn't get ambiguous hanging limp without wind, if clarification is needed I got a mouth.

New note - can people who put their gender or pronouns as jokes not interact? im trans and not into that casual transphobia

42 minutes ago, eorion said:

You could message the person and discuss your issue with them like an adult. The more you casually use the word "transphobia", the less power and meaning the word has.

7 hours ago, Homer said:

Asexuality = no sexual attraction. "No" is not a spectrum :)

Also I'm not really sure if people can distinguish between all the pride flags there are. The LGBT+ one is fairly well-known, but I don't think that this applies to the others, especially outside LGBT+ environments.

Edit: If you want to have a flag with that many stripes, arranging them vertically might be the way to go.

Other than the LGBT+ rainbow and asexuality flags, I'm only aware of the transgender one. And that only after seeing a sticker on a vehicle.

Oh, wait a second. @eorion, do you mean "aspec" as in all the different "a"s there are? That would be a lot of completely different things put together. I wonder if there's a lot of common ground to start from.

10 hours ago, Homer said:

Oh, wait a second. @eorion, do you mean "aspec" as in all the different "a"s there are? That would be a lot of completely different things put together. I wonder if there's a lot of common ground to start from.

A-spec as in asexual and aromantic, and the terms under those umbrellas such as demi, greya, ect.

8 hours ago, KeKatCookie said:

Maybe make the colour lines thinner? So it's more of a flag shape/size.

Thats a good idea :) I'll resize to give a better idea of the flag design :D 

DuranDuranfan

I personally am fine with the flag that was already designed and debuted. But maybe it’s because while I’m hetero-romantic and sex positive, the grey stripe suits me fine because that’s where my sexuality(or lack thereof) falls in. I’m Grey-A.

Archived