Flags and Vexillology

Morgan123

I'm not a fan of those flags, mainly because I don't care for the colors. But that's a matter of personal taste. From the standpoint of graphic design they are well done.

I really like flags! I mean, I don't actually spend time studying them, but I love seeing a new flag and learning its meaning... on the occasion... 

As for favourites, the Antigua and Barbuda 🇦🇬 one is beautiful, Union Jack 🇬🇧 is smartly made, Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 is cool as hell, Seychelles' 🇸🇨 is so absurdly colourful and I love that the colours on the Finnish flag 🇫🇮 are said to represent water and snow. 

Also: Nepal. Just Nepal. 🇳🇵

[Can't post actual pictures, I have to use smileys...] 

The very concept of a flag is strangely cool, too... a floating rectangle of colours and shapes to represent something? That's a beautiful idea! 

2 hours ago, PoeciMeta said:

smileys

For me the smileys just show as small 2 letter country codes. :( 

4 hours ago, PoeciMeta said:

Also: Nepal. Just Nepal. 🇳🇵

It's also very strictly geometrical.

Spoiler

Captain_Tass
3 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

It's also very strictly geometrical.

Hide contents

Numberphile is such an amazing channel!

CelesteAdAstra

the Formosa Republic flag is very cute

chinataiwan1895.gif

CelesteAdAstra

And let's not forget about the counties of Liberia 😂 To anyone who hasn't seen them before: I am sorry, but those really are the official ones.

ZpE1P3h.png

1280px-Flag_of_Maryland_County.svg.png

The Aerican Empire has a... pretty special flag. 

I don't think this particular micronation is serious XD

(Sorry, still can't show you 😔

Captain_Tass
22 minutes ago, PoeciMeta said:

Is it this one?

Spoiler

1200px-Flag_of_Aerica.svg.png

20 hours ago, Morgan123 said:

Yeah, it’s one of my favourite ones that features weapons, along with Kenya.

Mozambique's flag has a Kalashnikhov on it. The only national flag featuring a modern weapon.

Also, while we're at flags featuring working people's tools and industry, check out  the Polish city of Katowice, in Poland's coal region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katowice#/media/File:Katowice_Flaga.svg (yeah, it has the coat of arms superimposed).

1 minute ago, Life Of Tass said:

Is it this one?

Hide contents

1200px-Flag_of_Aerica.svg.png

Yup~ XD

1 minute ago, Piotrek said:

Mozambique's flag has a Kalashnikhov on it. The only national flag featuring a modern weapon.

I really like this one! 

I can't remember which is the other national flag with a firearm on it - a bayonet rifle if I remember well... 

Anthracite_Impreza
15 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

Also, while we're at flags featuring working people's tools and industry, check out  the Polish city of Katowice, in Poland's coal region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katowice#/media/File:Katowice_Flaga.svg (yeah, it has the coat of arms superimposed).

Both those things speak to my inner mechaphile.

Which reminds me, Doncaster (my council/district) has all sorts of industrial stuff on the coat of arms, including the railway symbol ❤️

1_doncaster_oldversion1975.jpg

CelesteAdAstra
1 hour ago, PoeciMeta said:

I love micronations! I was once a citizen of the Aerican Empire before I was kicked out due to inactivity, and I am still a proud Ladonian with a passport.

6 minutes ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

I love micronations! I was once a citizen of the Aerican Empire before I was kicked out due to inactivity, and I am still a proud Ladonian with a passport.

You can be kicked out for that?! 

I love micronations too! Maybe I'll join one someday... 

Captain_Tass
1 minute ago, PoeciMeta said:

Same! Micronations are amazing and I want to join one so badly!

CelesteAdAstra
Just now, PoeciMeta said:

Yeah, I think they were just annoyed by the long list of inactive members, so they updated their list of citizens. I wasn't too bothered, it's hard having a triple citizenship after all 😂

Just now, Life Of Tass said:

Same! Micronations are amazing and I want to join one so badly!

Sealand and Kugelmugel are some of my favourites, because of their weird territory ^^

Captain_Tass
1 minute ago, PoeciMeta said:

Sealand and Kugelmugel are some of my favourites, because of their weird territory ^^

I love sealand too!

Nice flag as well!

1 minute ago, Life Of Tass said:

I love sealand too!

Nice flag as well!

Yeah, I think it's one of the more ''serious'' one. 

Revendicating an abandoned platform outside territorial water was a really sweet trick... and yeah the flag is cool as well! You don't see that many diagonal stripes in (pseudo-)national flags. 

Alawyn-Aebt
2 minutes ago, PoeciMeta said:

I always loved nations, be they real, imagined, or micro.

I made my own imaginary nation when I was 5 and worked on it continually until I did nearly completed it when I was 13. I designed everything for the nation (except the mythology, I still work on the mythology to this day) and it included a map that is 20' by 8'. Eventually I ran out of things to design for it so...

I really got into micronations, I wanted to join one but for some reason I decided to make my own.

That was pretty much a disaster. It was fun while it lasted though, but flag design was one of the funnest parts of micronation-building.

CelesteAdAstra

I made a separate thread for micronations so that this one can continue to be about flags 😁

Oh god. When I was a kid I not only had my own little country (countries, as time went on), but I wrote a constitution and laws and expected my parents to follow them.

I'm not a very visually imaginative person, unfortunately, but I do like having color schemes and geometry for everything, so flags are a great expression. Especially when you can doodle them endlessly.

6 minutes ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

I made a separate thread for micronations so that this one can continue to be about flags 😁

YES

Captain Jay

You know, all of this reminds me... has anyone else thought about personal flags? I mean, they can represent everything from places to letters, so perhaps coming up with a flag that basically summarizes its own maker wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Though there's the question of how "traditional" the designs could or would be, for lack of a better word.

(As an aside, while writing this message, I typed 'flag' into DuckDuckGo looking for a definition. For some reason, the first hit is the Wikipedia article for "Flag of the United States". Sure, why not.)

4 hours ago, Captain Jay said:

You know, all of this reminds me... has anyone else thought about personal flags? I mean, they can represent everything from places to letters, so perhaps coming up with a flag that basically summarizes its own maker wouldn't be much of a stretch.

This is basically my childhood. 😋 Although my design skills really weren’t at their peak back then... 

4 hours ago, Captain Jay said:

(As an aside, while writing this message, I typed 'flag' into DuckDuckGo looking for a definition. For some reason, the first hit is the Wikipedia article for "Flag of the United States". Sure, why not.)

Tells you everything, doesn’t it? :D 

Captain_Tass

Oh, do I have some gems for you people!

Yesterday at about 2:30 AM I decided that it would be wise to work on a micronation flag, and I was chatting with a friend while I was doing so. Well, when I was done designing my flag, I thought it would be wise to figure out its dimensions in order to make it irl later. So I thought that it would be nice and ironic if I borrowed the measurements from the current Greek flag. Off to wikipedia I went, and then I stumbled across some historical Greek flags used during the revolution. And folks, if you haven't seen them before, you're in for a real treat. My friend and I spent a solid hour and a half laughing at them.

Spoiler

Flag_of_Rigas_Feraios.svg

This was the proposed flag of Greece designed by Rigas Feraios. It's truly a miracle how people found the strength to fight for the independence of Greece when the flag would look like this.

Spoiler

YpsilantisFlag.svg

This was the flag used by general Alexandros Ypsilantis. Look, as you will see in time, there are worse flags out there. But that doesn't make this one good. The writing reads "From my ashes, I am reborn".

Spoiler

Alexander_Ypsilantis_flag_(obverse).svg

Another flag used by Ypsilanths. Design-wise, it's one of the best in the bunch, and I have nothing really bad to say about it, other than the fact that I can't see it representing Greece today. But it does represent Greece during that era, so I'm letting this one slide.

Spoiler

Areios_Pagos_Anatolikis_Ellados.svg

This was a flag used in Eastern Greece. All I'll say is that this green and this reddish colour really clash, and my eyes hurt. On a positive note, the anchor looks good! Its placement... Not so much. It is what it is, moving on

The next one is literally a black cross on a red background, nothing to talk about. Moving on

Spoiler

Filiki_Eteria_flag.svg

This wonderful flag of the organisation responsible for starting the revolution features not one, but two (2) flags. I have no idea what the thing in the bottom is supposed to be, but oh man, this flag is hilarious.

Trivia: The first flag features an abbreviation of "Either freedom" and the second an abbreviation of "or death"

Spoiler

Mani_Flag_(Greece).svg

This one was the flag used in the Mani peninsula. It's pretty good considering all the others we've seen so far. Writings read "Victory or death" (modern Greek, top) and "Win or die" (ancient Greek, phrase used in ancient Sparta, bottom)

Spoiler

Miaoulis_flag.gif

THIS ONE IS SO BAD I CAN'T EVEN! It was used by Andreas Miaoulis and it looks like it was designed in Windows 95 with paint. Guess Miaoulis was ahead of his time then

Writing reads "Freedom or death" and the colors are making my eyes bleed

Spoiler

Hydraflag.gif

This flag here is the flag of Hydra (No, not the MCU Hydra, there was an island called Hydra) and where do I begin. Well, it features a flag with the head of Minerva. The red and blue really clash, I only just noticed that there's a snake trying to snack on a bird around the anchor and the all seeing eye at the corner probably should have been in the other corner, because there's far too much going on in the left side of the flag. Writing reads once again "Win or die" (Ancient Greek)

Spoiler

1821_Flag_of_Spetses.svg

This is the flag of Spetses and it's torture to look at. As far as I know, it's still in use in Spetses to this day. It would have been a decent flag if the blue were darker and the red was replaced by white.

Spoiler

Halkidiki_flag_(1821).svg

I'd been laughing at this flag for over half an hour yesterday. This was used in Halkidiki and I have so many questions

1) Why is there a random rooster on the flag?

2) Why does the owl look like it's straight out of clip art? And why is it just floating there?

3) Why is the rooster a yellow silhouette while the owl has regular colors?

4) Why is the anchor so thin?

Overall, this flag screams "Graphic design is my passion"

Spoiler

Athanasios_Diakos_1821.svg

Lastly, this was the flag used by Athanasios Diakos. Writing is, as usual "Freedom or death". I can think of nothing else to say so I'll just quote @Anthracite_Impreza. "F U Saint George"

(Trivia: Athanasios Diakos ended up impaled. Ironic.)

TL;DR: I think Greeks had word art in 1821.

Anthracite_Impreza

I can't see anyone hailing that Hydra.

Custard Cream
31 minutes ago, Life Of Tass said:

Oh, do I have some gems for you people!

Yesterday at about 2:30 AM I decided that it would be wise to work on a micronation flag, and I was chatting with a friend while I was doing so. Well, when I was done designing my flag, I thought it would be wise to figure out its dimensions in order to make it irl later. So I thought that it would be nice and ironic if I borrowed the measurements from the current Greek flag. Off to wikipedia I went, and then I stumbled across some historical Greek flags used during the revolution. And folks, if you haven't seen them before, you're in for a real treat. My friend and I spent a solid hour and a half laughing at them.

Hide contents

Flag_of_Rigas_Feraios.svg

This was the proposed flag of Greece designed by Rigas Feraios. It's truly a miracle how people found the strength to fight for the independence of Greece when the flag would look like this.

Hide contents

YpsilantisFlag.svg

This was the flag used by general Alexandros Ypsilantis. Look, as you will see in time, there are worse flags out there. But that doesn't make this one good. The writing reads "From my ashes, I am reborn".

Hide contents

Alexander_Ypsilantis_flag_(obverse).svg

Another flag used by Ypsilanths. Design-wise, it's one of the best in the bunch, and I have nothing really bad to say about it, other than the fact that I can't see it representing Greece today. But it does represent Greece during that era, so I'm letting this one slide.

Hide contents

Areios_Pagos_Anatolikis_Ellados.svg

This was a flag used in Eastern Greece. All I'll say is that this green and this reddish colour really clash, and my eyes hurt. On a positive note, the anchor looks good! Its placement... Not so much. It is what it is, moving on

The next one is literally a black cross on a red background, nothing to talk about. Moving on

Hide contents

Filiki_Eteria_flag.svg

This wonderful flag of the organisation responsible for starting the revolution features not one, but two (2) flags. I have no idea what the thing in the bottom is supposed to be, but oh man, this flag is hilarious.

Trivia: The first flag features an abbreviation of "Either freedom" and the second an abbreviation of "or death"

Hide contents

Mani_Flag_(Greece).svg

This one was the flag used in the Mani peninsula. It's pretty good considering all the others we've seen so far. Writings read "Victory or death" (modern Greek, top) and "Win or die" (ancient Greek, phrase used in ancient Sparta, bottom)

Hide contents

Miaoulis_flag.gif

THIS ONE IS SO BAD I CAN'T EVEN! It was used by Andreas Miaoulis and it looks like it was designed in Windows 95 with paint. Guess Miaoulis was ahead of his time then

Writing reads "Freedom or death" and the colors are making my eyes bleed

Hide contents

Hydraflag.gif

This flag here is the flag of Hydra (No, not the MCU Hydra, there was an island called Hydra) and where do I begin. Well, it features a flag with the head of Minerva. The red and blue really clash, I only just noticed that there's a snake trying to snack on a bird around the anchor and the all seeing eye at the corner probably should have been in the other corner, because there's far too much going on in the left side of the flag. Writing reads once again "Win or die" (Ancient Greek)

Hide contents

1821_Flag_of_Spetses.svg

This is the flag of Spetses and it's torture to look at. As far as I know, it's still in use in Spetses to this day. It would have been a decent flag if the blue were darker and the red was replaced by white.

Hide contents

I'd been laughing at this flag for over half an hour yesterday. This was used in Halkidiki and I have so many questions

1) Why is there a random rooster on the flag?

2) Why does the owl look like it's straight out of clip art? And why is it just floating there?

3) Why is the rooster a yellow silhouette while the owl has regular colors?

4) Why is the anchor so thin?

Overall, this flag screams "Graphic design is my passion"

Hide contents

Athanasios_Diakos_1821.svg

Lastly, this was the flag used by Athanasios Diakos. Writing is, as usual "Freedom or death". I can think of nothing else to say so I'll just quote @Anthracite_Impreza. "F U Saint George"

(Trivia: Athanasios Diakos ended up impaled. Ironic.)

TL;DR: I think Greeks had word art in 1821.

I laughed out loud at the clip art owl in a random location. WTF? 

CelesteAdAstra
5 hours ago, Life Of Tass said:

Hide contents

This owl has seen things. Dark things you can't possibly imagine.

Here's  a list of more or less serious proposals for a new flag of New Zealand. There are also some historical ones there, I see.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Proposed_national_flags_of_New_Zealand

Silver fern proposals are my favourites. And LASER-EYED KIWI, for the less serious ones.

Archived