Fictosexuality

Do fictosexuals count as asexuals? I heard that if someone isn't attracted to real people but to for example anime characters,then he is on asexual spectrum. Is it true?

Grey-Ace Ventura

I'm pretty sure they do count. Ageosexuals are really similar to your definition and they count as asexuals, so fictosexuals should as well.

Anthracite_Impreza

That is a matter of debate. I don't think so, because I don't think sexuality/romance/attraction should be 'reserved' for humans. My romance with my car is just as romantic as it would be with a human, so I will not be called aromantic.

• Like 2
NickyTannock

Yes, I'd say Fictosexuals count as Asexual, since fantasies, in general, don't count if they don't reflect what you want in reality.

CelesteAdAstra

I think that it depends. If you could make the fictional character of your choice real and would actually like to have sex with them, that doesn't sound quite asexual to me. (I for example am fictoromantic, and I actually desperately want my beloved to be real. I am the last person you could call aromantic.) But if you are only attracted to them because they are fictional and you have no interest in actual sexual contact as in the aforementioned scenario, I would say the label fits.

• Like 3

Personally I consider my attraction towards anime characters as part of my bisexuality, but if someone who is attracted only to fictional characters still considered themselves asexual because “they’re just fantasies” then I could see where they’re coming from.

As it's something I've never heard of, it attracted me to reading this post, I don't know that I can really answer it as the fiction person, are they a cartoon as in a comic? someone in a book? or maybe a fictional character on TV or in a film? Then, I guess it's what the individual feels, do they experience sexual fantasies? I don't really know, but it's an interesting question, I loved Rachel on Friends (Jenifer Anniston), but never had any sexual thoughts, though I do think she's a stunningly beautiful lady, I wouldn't say no to a cuddle though, but then, I am a cuddle slut

There was a topic like this not too long ago and we seemed to all have differing opinions on it, but when I personally think of how to break down my sexuality I think of it like this: my ficto-ness is in my imagination + fictional characters are not real, as in living breathing human beings. My feelings towards the object of my affection may be very much real (as in what I imagine two people feel towards one another when they love one another), I am both sexually and romantically attracted to the idea of him, and love love love imagining all sorts of wonderful things with him, but at the end of the day he is not a real person and this is all going on in my head. So with that definition I kinda categorize it as a second part of my sexuality. What matters firstly is how I feel about real people, which is a solid no to both sexual and romantic activities, so I'm both aroace. If anyone were to walk up to me and ask me on the street what I identify as I would say "I'm both asexual and aromantic", and if they wanted to dig deeper I would tell them about the ficto-part. Telling them I want to shag a video game character or this idea I made up of a celebrity isn't something I'd jump right into lol, and it's why I use it as a secondary identifier for myself to be more precise about what I do like~

So long story short, in my opinion, I would put it under ace and/or aro as at least a subset (category?) if that said person has no desire to be romantically/sexually involved with another person person. At least that's how I describe it 🤷‍♀️ but you use labels that you feel describe you the best!

3 hours ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

I think that it depends. If you could make the fictional character of your choice real and would actually like to have sex with them, that doesn't sound quite asexual to me. (I for example am fictoromantic, and I actually desperately want my beloved to be real. I am the last person you could call aromantic.) But if you are only attracted to them because they are fictional and you have no interest in actual sexual contact as in the aforementioned scenario, I would say the label fits.

see this definition confuses me so much 😩 I only like fictional character because they are fictional. If they were to become real I would feel the same way towards any other person: ew gross stop it. haha (but if my object of affection was to magically become real right now, let's be honest, I'd try to make something work because I love him so). So fictoromantic = wanting them to be real? Always thought it was just you wanted to get romantic with them in your head like a romantic person would want to get romantic with their people partner LOL.

CelesteAdAstra
13 hours ago, Strifed said:

see this definition confuses me so much 😩 I only like fictional character because they are fictional. If they were to become real I would feel the same way towards any other person: ew gross stop it. haha (but if my object of affection was to magically become real right now, let's be honest, I'd try to make something work because I love him so). So fictoromantic = wanting them to be real? Always thought it was just you wanted to get romantic with them in your head like a romantic person would want to get romantic with their people partner LOL.

I think that both types of attraction to fictional characters are two sides of the same coin. Both are absolutely valid and deserve to be called "fictoromantic/-sexual". The difference is not in our love towards them, but in our reaction were they suddenly to become real. Yours is aromantic and mine isn't, but both are fictoromantic. We could possibly make up two microlabels to describe both, but I think that we would quickly find an angry mob of label-opponents coming at us, so I rest my case 😂

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Fictosexuality is not on the asexual spectrum because the asexual spectum goes from "a" to "gray"sexuality which means no to a few sexual attraction towards others (towards real adult human beings). Fictosexuality or fictophilia means having sexual attraction (so not no or only a few) to fictional characters so not real human beings but a fictosexual person can also be asexual towards real human beings alongside (para in greek) their fictosexuality but they could also be from any other sexual orientation so hetero or homo or bi to pansexual even if I think there are more fictosexual people who are also asexual. They could also have another paraphilia/sexuality like objectophilia/sexuality or not. Paraphilias are by definition next to the 4 main human sexual orientation (hetero, homo, bi to pan and the asexual spectrum). 

Putting fictosexuality in the asexual spectrum would invalidate the lack of sexual attraction or only a few of it which represents the asexual spectrum as fictosexual people do have a sexual attraction and asexuality is directed towards others (human beings) and fictosexuality towards fictional characters so they are not under the same spectrum but people can have both labels or not: an asexual person can have fictosexuality or no fictosexuality and an hetero or homo or bi or pansexual person could experience fictosexuality.

Wasn't really necessary to bump a nearly 4 year old thread made by someone whose account is no longer even active, was it?

Yes it is very necessary to bring up this subject nearly 4 years later as fictosexuality is rising. The presence of a sexual attraction or a romantic one (as fictoromance) is not the lack thereof (asexuality or aromantism) or few of it (the spectrum of grayasexuality or grayaromantism like demiaromantic for example). The definition of a sexual orientation or a sexual attraction says if there is a sexual attraction or not and to whom it is directed and it is not the same here but they can be both.

Well yeah, it is now, cuz you bumped it.

Thousands of people married a fictional character in Japan recently. I didn't.

Also I think asexual people can have fantasies towards real human beings when watching or reading p*rn for example but they still have no to a few sexual attraction to them when fictosexual people do have a sexual attraction and directed towards fictional characters which oftentimes are not human (except for when they are attracted to the character a real life actor plays but not the real life actor themself or when the anime or cartoon character has a human form or a vampire can seem human). People on the asexual spectrum can have fantasies in their head and even act on them in real life without feeling sexual attraction to the other person or only a few of it when fictosexual people have fantasies because the other one isn't real so there is no other option than fantasizing and they do have a sexual (and can also have a romantic) attraction towards their fictional character. 

Also, many fictosexual people now identify as it and are proud of it so it is their own identity and next comes their sexual orientation towards real humans.

Janus the Fox

It’s changed a lot in 4 years, is it isn’t seen as an exclusively Asexual phenomenon.  Most on all Sexuality spectrums do experience this rather quite normally probably.

• Like 1

I don't know, I am only attracted a little bit to real life adult human beings who consent (I am demiasexual, I only felt sexual attraction very rarely in my life and to only very peculiar people after I had formed a really strong bond with them, as if the sexual attraction switch had been flicked). I don't have any other sexual attraction. I am not attracted to drawings (anime, cartoons) or monsters (teratosexuality) or ghosts or aliens who don't have a human form or half human creatures or anything else.  I don't judge as it is inoffensive. I just am not ficto, I only like actors and some role they play (not only their character, if I find a character cute then the actor is cute too) and real life singers and I don't see where ficto would fit in the asexual spectrum; I see it next to it but not in it. Not all asexual people have something else next to their asexuality. I even understand that when we are little, we identify with fictional characters and are fans of them and can even have a crush on them but when we become young adults, when we develop a sexual attraction or not, many of us turn to real life human beings instead of something else. I think we exist without anything else. It is a + to me, not in the asexual spectrum. If fictosexual people want to join the LGBTQIA+ community, I think they should be in the +, not in the A because if many of them are A to real life people, they could also be hetero or homo or bi to pansexual so it is not linked to asexuality and it only so it is not part of the spectrum. It's like wanting to make a spectrum out of agender people who are not woman nor man in gender and no one or nothing else and add to them people who have a xenogender. Those ones do have a gender which is not human so they are not "a" (which means lack of in greek) or like saying being fictoromantic is being aromantic like someone else said above ... Fictoromantic people are romantic to fictional  characters and aromantic to real human beings. There is something next to their lack of something else.

I consider myself aroace and fictosexual. I have zero sexual attraction to real people and my attraction to fictional characters is just a fantasy. I have no desire for it to become reality. I actually don't feel sexually attracted to individual characters, though I get infatuated with them. However, I do get attracted to different ships and feel turned on by the thought of them having sex. But again, it's just a fantasy. At most, it helps me when I pleasure myself but it's not something I desire to be real. People have begun questioning my asexuality because I started writing erotic fanfiction for these ships, but I don't know that it means I'm not asexual. Can't people who are asexual have sexual fantasies if they have no desire for them to become reality? Also, I'm glad this topic got bumped. I think its good to discuss.

Yes asexual people can have fantasies, there are real human beings to fantazise over though, in human form like actors and their characters who play human beings or singers . You can both be asexual towards real humans and fictosexual towards fictional characters but to me fictosexuality is not in the asexual spectrum. Maybe if you don't have sexual attraction towards fictional characters, you are fictoromantic with fantasies? To me you are still on the asexual spectrum towards real human beings. You just have a + thing that I don't have which is being ficto. You know like people can be panromantic (so fall in love with any person from any sex and gender) and asexual or aromantic heterosexual. Maybe you are fictoromantic and on the asexual spectrum? Just asking, I don't want to tell your identity at your place. Some other people do feel sexual attraction to fictional characters though so those are fictosexual and they also can be under the asexual umbrella towards real humans or from another sexual orientation too. Maybe when it is fantasies about fictional characters, it's like the novel Suzanne in Orange is the New Black wrote. She was very imaginative. I liked her character. Glad you are ok with bringing up the subject and I don't judge at all and to me you are asexual, I don't want to remove any label from anyone. We can have more than one label. I don't fit in the fictosexual one and just don't see where it would fit in the asexual one. I see it next to the asexual one (or any other sexual orientation) as a plus. I just don't think it's under the asexual umbrella but next to it because even though there are a lot of people who identify as fictosexual are also asexual, it would be like saying way more women identify as asexual than men so we can put asexuality under the women umbrella and it would be incorrect but to me you can totally be both ace and ficto and keep both labels if you want to.