My sexuality??? Help??

Help-imconfused

Help-imconfused

I would consider myself aro/ace, but everytime I consider this I think back to two instances:

1) In class, a friend (female, like me) was laying across my lap (as you do). Another classmate asked if we were a couple. My friend immediately went “no, no I’m very affectionate” and etc. I just sat there smiling like an idiot because the possibility of me having a girlfriend made me so happy.

2) I read a Tumblr post about wanting to bake cookies and cuddle with a girl and all that. I legit cried. I was sobbing. It was three in the morning.

The thing is, I’ve never had a crush on anyone, I don’t think. But I just feel that i love girls too much to be aromantic. I’ve seen girls and have instantly fallen in love, but never wanted to date anyone. I think I’ve experienced alterous attraction with some really close friends, where I would totally date them but didn’t care if we were just friends either.

Help would be much, much appreciated. I just want to be able to actually tell someone what my sexuality is and have it accurately describe how I feel. I’m not comfortable with calling myself gay/aro/demi because I’m afraid of people not understanding. 

Like I said, if you can help I owe you a gray debt and will love you forever ok that’s all bye

• Like 1
Grey-Ace Ventura

Hey there! First off, here's a traditional cake welcome to AVEN:

Image result for asexual cake

Second, I really relate to your post because I felt the same way about a year ago, when I started questioning my sexuality. In my case, at the time I identified as aro/ace after I realized I wasn't attracted to guys, and I really just wanted non-sexual physical intimacy (cuddling, hugging, etc.) from friends. Later though, I felt like I didn't want to be aro, even though a person's (a)sexuality isn't their choice, because I felt like I'd be lonely while everyone I knew had someone to make them happy. That's when I questioned if I was really aro, and at this point, I hadn't considered that I could be attracted to girls, but I did recall having crushes on two girls in 9th grade and 10th. Basically, I realized that my concept of romance wasn't realistic. I expected that romance would be solely based more on sex than on companionship and being attracted to someone else's personality, which was why I identified as ace in the first place. Having redefined romance in a more realistic way, I identified then as gay because I knew I wanted romance with girls, and as grey.

In your case, you could be thinking of romance similar to how I did in the past, or you could just want a close friend you can be affectionate with. I guess the best advice I have for you is to define romance for yourself and determine if that's what you want. Hope my story helped! Best of luck!

• Like 2

The first question I would ask myself in your case is: Would I prefer to date a girl or a guy?

That might help narrow down on the homoromantic, heteroromantic or biromantic possibilities.

Hi there!

So, I think the issue at hand boils down to your romantic feelings. Romantic attraction deals with whether you desire a romantic relationship with another person.

To me, it sounds like you might be romantically attracted to girls/women, so I think it makes sense to call yourself "homoromantic," which is much like homosexual, just without the need to have sex. It's also fairly easy to understand.

As @3Xi3X points out, if you also feel attracted to boys, you can also call yourself "biromantic," even when the level of attraction varies.

Hope that helps a bit.

Welcome at AVEN and enjoy the cake. :cake:

Help-imconfused

Ahhh— thank you so much for sharing your experience/s and for the advice! I really understand not wanting to identify as aro for the same reason. I think the label grey/homoromantic is the best I’ve considered, and one I feel comfortable identifying with. You’re story DID help, thank you so much!

Grey-Ace Ventura

Yay! I'm really glad I could help and that you've found a label you're comfortable with. I also think it's cool that that's pretty much the same label I use.