Hello! I’m new!

AnnaC

Hi everyone,

I’m new to AVEN, but not to asexuality. I first found out about asexuality when I was 17, and it’s been a good nine years since then and I’m finally now comfortable in the knowledge that I am asexual. Well, I’m not sure if comfortable is the right word... I know that I’m definitely asexual - sexual attraction is a thing I have never been able to make head or tail of, but I definitely am not comfortable enough to tell anyone in real life that I am.

For some reason, I feel like as an asexual person, I don’t really fit in with straight people, or with the wider LGBTQ community. Is that a weird way to feel? I’m also pretty sure (I think?) that I’m biromantic, so I don’t know how to explain myself to people and I don’t dare to go on dates with anyone because I’m afraid of what will happen when they find out. It’s been such a weird, lonely situation to be in, that after a whole 9 years, I’ve finally plucked up the courage and decided to join you all here (the fact that I’m off work with a fever that is likely addling my natural inhibitions is probably helping too).

Anyway, thanks for having me, and I look forward to making new friends on here! 🙂 

Hi and welcome,  I'm certain that you will get along well on here as we are a fairly mixed bunch, people here are happy to offer any advice, here, no question is a stupid question, all questions will be answered in the best way possible as we've all had experience of what we are answering, we also had to ask the very same things, so feel free to join in, ask, be yourself, we all accept each other here.

I myself have never experienced "sexual" attraction though I do experience attraction, as a male, I am attracted to females, I'm also a cuddle slut too. I look but don't touch, I'm of the older generation where you were accepted as either straight or gay, there was no bisexual, asexual etc, so my elders, even some of my own generation see me as gay as I'm neither married or in a relationship, I've been long term single, I have had a few short term relationships, all have cheated on me, hence now I've learned to live with myself. Where do I fit in? I fit in where I am, I accept sexual people, I accept those on the LGBTQ community, at the end of the day, we're all human, we're all individual, we are who we are, we can't please everyone so there's no point in trying, so be yourself, for those who don't like you, well, that's up to them, for those who do like you and accept you for who you are, they are the ones to keep in your life, don't worry about what others think of you, you'll fit in where you feel most comfortable.

I hope you get well soon

Take care

Hi. I am new to AVEN as well. I have known how I felt for about 15 years but never knew it was called asexuality. I am about to turn 29.

So far in exploring the forums and submitting my replies/opinions it seems I have finally found a place of truly likeminded individuals.

i totally relate to you on feeling weird telling others about my sexual orientation (although I had to tell my mom last night because I was so excited I found something that describes me) and I feel I am biromantic as well. People ARE people. I care about them all. I personally don’t mind a kiss here and there but clearly not like allo persons. The majority of my past girlfriends broke up with me because I didn’t show them how much I cared. (I.e. I didn’t kiss them enough or try to make out with them or have sex with them.)

I personally feel the same about the straight and LGBTQ+ community and at the same time I feel part of both. Weird but that’s how it is.

I’m really glad you’re here and you introduced yourself. Hope you feel better soon too.

@oldgeezaFirstly, thank you for cuddle slut. That’s absolutely what I would be if I could find someone who would do the cuddle without expecting the sex. And secondly, thank you for welcoming me and for sharing your experiences. It’s really nice to know that someone else has been there before and is happy with life now. 

@3Xi3X I get what you mean about being so excited that you have to tell someone. If I had someone to tell, I absolutely would have done. And yes, people are people! I feel like all people have equal propensity to be beautiful and lovable. Gender is quite irrelevant. 

Thanks for the welcome, both of you!

Welcome! Yeah it’s always been weird between the LGBT+ group and asexuals, some people think they’re part of it, others think they’re completely seperate - either way AVEN is usually a better fit, but you’re free to try it out for yourself :P 

rainbow+wedding+cake+2.jpg

NickyTannock

@AnnaC A belated welcome to AVEN!

I haven't interacted with the LGBT+ community, but I feel like I do belong to it since I'm not Heterosexual.

Incidentally, it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake, and here's a Stained Glass Under The Sea Cake (all edible),

szrbgwwquh4tumvm5fgq.jpg

Archived